Christian Music Mailing List Digest V1 #2254

  • owner-christianmusic@listserv.prodigy.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2000
      Christian Music Mailing List Digest Friday, April 21 2000 Volume 01 : Number 2254

      In this issue:
      Re: Christian Music: Just found out -- Randy Stonehill in concert!
      Christian Music: GMA Week Goodies
      Christian Music: Summer Fests
      Re: Christian Music: More on Doves web cast & broadcast
      RE: Christian Music: More on Doves web cast & broadcast
      Christian Music: Shaded Red
      Christian Music: DOVES - Backstage Quotes

      Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:50:03 -0500 (CDT)
      From: cshumaker@... (C. shumaker)
      Subject: Re: Christian Music: Just found out -- Randy Stonehill in concert!

      he is in concert at many of the Music Festivals this year also ,
      Cornerstone has an aray of oldies but goodies preforming there this
      year, Larry Norman I know is at Creation this year and probably many
      others .

      I asked ya all a little while ago if any one is going it Ichthus fest in
      Wilmar Ky. no answer :(
      Is anyone going to any of the Christian Fests planed across the states
      or europe this year ?
      give us a shout, tell us where and when the fest will be , I am always
      interested in what fests are out there, Myself I will be at Ichthus ,
      Alive Creation, Cornerstone (the best!) , sonshine, Spirit fest mid
      west, spirit fest west coast, and prayerfully Greenbelt and Flevo
      Totaal.

      see ya there :)

      Message From cshumaker@... (C. shumaker)
      to Christian Music Mailing List.
      necessary). For more info, send a message of "help" to
      majordomo@...

      ------------------------------

      Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:11:12 -0400
      From: "M L Curtis" <mandyleigh@...>
      Subject: Christian Music: GMA Week Goodies

      Thanks to Barry for sharing his experiences during GMA week. Although I've
      never been, this is what I suspect takes place in CCM stations around the
      country the few days after GMA...

      My boss (the station's general manager) tries to round up at least one nice
      goody for each of us staff. All week, record companies and others give away
      promotional items to GMA attendees. Last year, he brought me back a cool
      Ardent records t-shirt. This year, it was a Forefront Records thermal
      travel cup and an Andrew Peterson CD.

      So my question is what goodies did anyone receive from a boss, coworker, or
      friend who did travel down to GMA week?

      Miranda

      _______
      "And after this, we go to heaven..."
      - --Twila Paris, "Wondering Out Loud" from True North

      "Aim at Heaven and you will get earth thrown in; aim at earth and you will
      get neither."
      - --C.S. Lewis, "Hope" from Mere Christianity

      88.3fm WCQR -- Christian Music Radio
      Coming soon to www.wcqr.org

      PandaMonium! -- I'm working on it!
      www.angelfire.com/on2/Pandamonium

      It's a Lacroix Sweetie!

      Message From "M L Curtis" <mandyleigh@...>

      Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:46:02 -0500
      From: Shari Lloyd <slloyd@...>
      Subject: Christian Music: Summer Fests

      At 09:50 PM 4/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >give us a shout, tell us where and when the fest will be , I am always
      >interested in what fests are out there, Myself I will be at Ichthus ,
      >Alive Creation, Cornerstone (the best!) , sonshine, Spirit fest mid
      >west, spirit fest west coast, and prayerfully Greenbelt and Flevo
      >Totaal.

      I'll be at Cornerstone.
      Shari

      Message From Shari Lloyd <slloyd@...>

      Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:08:43 -0500
      From: Shari Lloyd <slloyd@...>
      Subject: Re: Christian Music: More on Doves web cast & broadcast

      At 07:46 PM 4/20/00 -0500, Diann wrote:
      >Hi!
      >I'm watching the Dove Awards pre-broadcast show now at www.doveawardsradio.com Nicole Mullen is interviewing artists right now. Greg Long was the interviewer a few minutes ago and he mentioned that he is getting married next month to a member of Avalon. I think every year a member of Avalon gets married after the Doves. :)
      If you missed the show, the winners are at http://www.tollbooth.org/news/2000w.html

      Shari
      Shari Lloyd - Co-Publisher slloyd@...
      The Phantom Tollbooth

      http://www.tollbooth.org

      Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:07:31 -0500
      From: Morris Jeffrey A1C AMC/CSS/NOSWAB <Jeffrey.Morris@...>

      does anyone know if the two brothers in Shaded Red have experienced some
      personal tragedy?

      I have heard a rumor that their father passed away...if thats the case, we
      need to pray for them.

      can anyone let me know?

      Jeff

      Message From Morris Jeffrey A1C AMC/CSS/NOSWAB <Jeffrey.Morris@...>

      Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:21:35 -0700
      From: Jeremy Vis <jvis@...>
      Subject: Christian Music: Shaded Red

      IF my memory serves me correctly, (and that is a big if this time), after their
      first album was released, the group was involved in a car accident which claimed
      the life of the drummer at the time. That's all I (think I) know about it... but
      this could have been wrong. I don't know anything about their father passing
      away, though...

      anyone can feel free to correct me where i'm wrong, or add more pertinent
      information. :)

      blessings,
      jeremy

      Morris Jeffrey A1C AMC/CSS/NOSWAB wrote:

      > does anyone know if the two brothers in Shaded Red have experienced some
      > personal tragedy?
      >
      > I have heard a rumor that their father passed away...if thats the case, we
      > need to pray for them.
      >
      > can anyone let me know?
      >
      > Jeff

      - --
      http://come.to/dmeece/ - Unofficial David Meece (mine)
      http://www.david-meece.com - Official David Meece (theirs)
      "Just about anything rolled in glitter makes a good Christmas ornament.
      Except maybe cat."
      -Larry the Cucumber

      Message From Jeremy Vis <jvis@...>

      Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:30:13 EDT
      From: "Barry Smades" <barrysmades@...>
      Subject: Christian Music: DOVES - Backstage Quotes

      31st Annual Dove Awards � Backstage Quotes

      Kathie Lee Gifford (host of the Doves Telecast) � I realized it was 20 years
      ago that I left gospel music as a profession. They�ve asked often and I
      take that as a compliment but I�d look at what was happening in my life and
      have to say no. This time it was obvious that the Lord was saying �Go.� My
      greatest accomplishment in life are my kids. I�ve been nominated for many
      awards but you go home to your real trophies. It was the perfect job for me
      with my kids because I was done by 10:30 am. I did a Touched By An Angel
      episode but found such a joy in doing it. Doing Broadway and the new album
      has kicked my creative juices flowing. I don�t know what is in the future
      but it�s nice to be in a position to go where the Lord wants. It�s
      interesting watching the response to seeing someone leaving a successful
      situation. It�s just they define success different that I do. I�ve always
      been very open and candid about my faith. I think that�s why I�ve been a
      target so much. They don�t like someone of faith � it upset them. Any
      person of faith is a target in this cynical world. I will definitely miss
      Regis the most. The reason I�ve stayed for 15 years was Regis. I expected
      to do two years or so and I signed up year at a time. It was important to
      me to leave holding my head held high.

      Michael W. Smith (winner of three Doves) � I wore the pin that I was given
      today at the Columbine service. It wasn�t as hard as last year being there
      for the memorial. I came back with two things: 1) there are a lot of people
      who have not healed and 2) I need to be on my knees for those people. The
      Bernalls were not there today. They felt they needed to be away at this
      time. They�re in another country on a mission trip and I�ll call them and
      talk when they return. Ginny Owens is a rare treasure and amazing. I
      started crying when they said her name. You try not to make a point that
      she can�t see but she has such an amazing gift when she touches a piano.
      I�m starting to like the CEO role and you see that you can lend a hand and
      give someone a platform. I never forgot the first time she played that one
      song for me and I started crying. I was ready to sign her for just that one
      song.

      Darlene Zschech � We are trying to put the value back on the local church.
      We come over here about five months of the year and tour through churches
      especially that Integrity have some contact with. To hear your songs heard
      throughout the world as well as different languages, it�s a great honor but
      also shows the desire of the heart to draw closer to the Lord.

      Steven Curtis Chapman (now owner of 42 Doves � four this year) � I do
      remember going to concerts as a kid and see musicians being nice to you.
      It�s a really weird thing. Every year, I have a sense of trepidation but
      thrilled when you are recognized. I believe that they�ve had their fill of
      me and the awards and they will go in another direction. This album
      represents a whole new season in my life and I�m pleased to share it with my
      family. Hopefully, this might prompt others to decide to help another child
      or two find a loving home. As far as the awards, the first Artist of the
      Year award was one that sticks out. Lot of tears and the overwhelming
      feeling was something special. The most important thing, though, is when,
      like yesterday, someone comes up and told me they�d found Christ when coming
      to one

      Third Day (Rock Album of the Year) � We don�t like to say we are returning
      to our roots but we�re picking up where we left off. Hopefully, maturity is
      a natural part of your faith. The way we look at things like mercy and
      God�s grace hopefully shows through on this record.

      SonicFlood (Praise & Worship Album of the Year) � We�re very, very excited
      about the new album. It will be very live and uncut and unlike any other
      praise and worship in the past. It�s spontaneous and it�s very cool. It
      has some clips from Europe and our Sonic Praise (once a month). It�s great
      on the Newsboys tour as we�re inside a dome and it makes praise and worship
      very exciting as we�re surrounded by people and it fills up with sound.
      There were a lot of people in their 40�s and 50�s that grew up loving rock
      even though you weren�t supposed to. Now, they relate to the music in
      worship. We�ve been learning that being a worship leader is not just
      getting people to sing but to be lead worshipper. We need to lead by
      example. Our desire is to do that every time we�re on stage.

      Ginny Owens (New Artist Of The Year) � There�s a verse in Galatians 5:1 and
      for me growing up in the church, I learned the laws and if I didn�t achieve
      all of those standards, I would probably have to do something to get back in
      God�s good graces. The realization that those standards are there for our
      good and to grow more like Jesus but his death on that cross takes us out
      from under that law and provides a freedom. I�m not defined by how clumsy I
      am or what others must think but by the love of Christ. I had no idea �
      that wasn�t supposed to happen. I didn�t even know they were announcing the
      awards there. Sundance Film Festival was such a positive experience. We
      really prayed over it and people responded with tears and saying they hadn�t
      thought of those Christian things in years.

      Point of Grace (presenters) � We have a CD coming out on Mother�s Day and we
      don�t have a regular studio album coming this year. Word thought this would
      be a novel idea. They are really cool and a little updated. The same
      vocals are there. The rarities are some songs off our first custom album we
      did when we were still Say-So. My favorite remix would be �Faith, Hope and
      Love.� We are 100 percent behind the ministry of Mercy Ministries. We just
      love them and the work they do with girls who need help in so many ways.

      Sixpence None The Richer (Group Of The Year) � For the most part, it�s
      easier being a Christian in the mainstream. It makes it much more of a joy
      to do music because we know where we�re going and put more excitement in
      doing our music. The hardest thing on the road is making sure that God is
      in the center and that we keep up with prayer and other things we need to
      make. The stigma that someone hears �Christian artist� is that your music
      is something less and automatically shut the door of their minds. But that
      is slowly changing. We were so busy last year but not being involved in the
      Doves but this was really great tonight. We�ve been forced into the world
      and getting to know all kinds of individuals who are not Christians. It
      does good for people to see Christians doing quality work out in the world.
      (re: Steve Taylor) We�ve never seen a man who is so upfront and honest. We
      try to emulate him.

      Audio Adrenaline (Rock Recorded Song of the Year) - We want to reach out to
      the church as well as the unsaved. We want to maintain that goal. We�re
      glad Sixpence wants to reach to the outside world but ours is to remain
      focused on Christ and support and influence young people in their walk with
      Christ. We�ve done 52 shows and have about 18 more. It�s been a good tour
      with Riley (Armstrong) and Raze.

      Kurt Warner (St. Louis Rams quarterback) My job as a role model is a job
      where Christ put me. While I can affect people on the field, I want to make
      sure that I can do what I can to affect people off the field. Jeff and I
      are friends and we compete against each other. We play to win but, off the
      field, we are to live together as brothers. I would love to play for Jeff
      sometime if the opportunity arose.

      Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans coach): The story of Kurt and what he
      accomplished is unmatched in the last 10 years or more of the National
      Football League. He is a special individual and deserving of all he�s
      attained.

      Anointed (Urban Recorded Song of the Year and Contemporary Gospel Album)
      The presence of God in our concerts is the priority. We don�t know the need
      of those at our concerts but he knows every need. He can reach and minister
      in ways that we can�t. I wouldn�t want to do this if he wasn�t involved in
      it. There�s no better place to be than in the presence of God. There are
      so many different places that need revival but it can only happen in the
      hearts of individual first. Not just in America but across the world. We�ve
      been asking God to reveal to us what he wants us to do. It changes as he
      shows us new things in our life and ministry

      Jars of Clay (presenters) � We�re excited about our fall tour with Jennifer
      Knapp. The title of the new record �If I Left The Zoo� was a culmination of
      ideas based on a picture of an elephant that we really loved. We loved the
      picture and had to have a title to match it. It has had a lot of different
      meaning to different people including leaving your comfort zone.

      Brown Bannister (Producer Of The Year) � Steven deserve both wings and the
      bird�s nose since he was really a co-producer on the project. He is
      involved in every detail. Many artists pick songs, sing it and they�re
      gone. Steven is there for every note played and every part of it. The
      diversity in the music tonight is exciting. Was just talking to Raze and
      they have a passion to reach junior high school kids. They won�t sell gold
      records or get a lot of recognition but they have a mission and they want to
      really reach kids. Working right now with Michael English, Rachael Lampa,
      new Avalon studio record, doing a Max Lucado project based on his book. The
      projects mostly select me. I have five kids and facing college for two of
      them so I try to work on a couple of high-profile records so I can support
      them. I have to have a heart connection with an artist and, if I don�t, I
      can�t do the project.

      Jaci Velasquez (Spanish Language Album of the Year for Llegar A Ti) � To me,
      this was one of the most important things to me. Doing a Spanish album is
      hard especially when you don�t speak very good Spanish. I took some time
      off and it�s really weird to be under that type of label where they do limos
      and fly you first class. Sony took good care of me and I had to go through
      and figure out why I�m doing this. It�s not about the money or the fame �
      this is my ministry. I truly believe that the Spanish area is my mission
      field and I feel very honored that the Spanish/Latin market has taken and
      embraced me in their arms. I feel blessed to be able to sing to my own
      people. My life belongs to labels now. I�m doing an English project now
      and will do another Spanish project as soon as it is done. Yes, some of the
      Spanish sounds will come into the flavor of the album but I want to be true
      to the pop fans in the English market.

      Fred Hammond (Contemporary Gospel Recorded Song for �Power� from Prince of
      Egypt-Inspirational project) - The whole Prince of Egypt experience was
      wonderful. I�m not one big for awards and did not come here to win one but
      we were nominated for nine. They put us in a big theatre with all the
      popcorn and Snickers you can eat. Part of it was just stick figures when we
      saw it. It would jump back into full animation. It really helped us write
      the song. It was bomb. The song was created after seeing the parting of the
      Red Sea and that�s where �Power� came from.

      Phil Keaggy (Instrumental Album of the Year for Majesty and Wonder of
      Christmas) � It�s a great feeling. To have an Artisan label is super. Word
      has great vision for it and they know that there are artists who have an
      instrumental side, bluesy side, jazz sides, and other sides. They are
      making an opportunity for me to be creative as often as I like and they have
      given me a platform. This project was a more 90�s project unlike Wind In
      The Wheat which had an 80�s field. I went down to do a Christmas album for
      the Unison label but they never put it out. It had all of these songs that
      were recorded in my basement. I was done with the project and then we
      turned it over to Dave. We took out the fun songs and turned it into a
      serious Christmas project.

      Vestal Goodman (Country Song of the Year with George Jones from the Vestals
      and Friends project) � I was the first woman to win an award back when the
      first Doves were given away. It (the project) was so much fun and so
      wonderful having such great people to work with. This award is for George
      Jones and me. He�s the sweetest man. Dolly and I knew each other for a
      long time. Planning on a new duet album with CeCe Winans, Reba McEntyre,
      Gaither Vocal Band, The Martins among others.

      Brent Bourgeois and Loren Balman (Streams � Special Event Album) � First of
      all, the artists had to connect with the idea of what we were doing. They
      all connected to the concept of a healing record. (re: pairing with
      Delirious with Amy Grant) We had talked to each of them separately about
      doing something on the project and Brent told me that they were such great
      fans of Amy so we asked them and Amy immediately said Yes. We had some
      unique pairings throughout. (re: favorite song) The best representation
      about being a human being on earth and we thought of Job. We asked Cindy
      (Morgan) and she came up with great song and that�s why it started the
      record.

      Clay Crosse (Inspirational Recorded Song Of The Year) � Performed the song
      with whoever was with me at the time. People think of it just as a male trio
      and it worked out with a woman. I truly feel it is anointed and being able
      to be a part of it was special. I just wanted to be a singer and never
      thought I would be a part of writing. I�ve had a rebirth and can�t go out
      and not have it as being a true part of me.

      Plus One (performers in pre-telecast) � People say we�re the new boy band
      but we�re happy to be able to share our message. We haven�t had the outside
      contact with concerts yet. Plus One reminds us that God is always with us.
      We are trying to reach anyone who will listen with the Good News of Christ.
      The overall theme of our album is the message of hope. Everyone has been
      through hard times and, hopefully, people will find hope through the words.

      Barry Smades
      Prodigy Christian Music Newsrep

      Psalm 61:8