National Anthem

  • max anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2008
      Okay, maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but I have become increasingly concerned with the way that God has been systematically removed from the public landscape, even though there are countless references to God in our national documents and the landmarks in Washington DC.

      I've been reading a book, 101 Hymn Stories. Today the story was about our National Anthem and Francis Scott Key.

      You'd think that by now I would have read the entire hymn. But possibly like you, I'm only really familiar with the first verse. We hear it in sporting events and at all official US Government functions.

      Have you ever read verse 4?

      O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
      Between their loved homes and the war�s desolation!
      Blest with vict�ry and peace, may the Heav�n-rescued land
      Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
      Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
      And this be our motto: "In God is our Trust."
      And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
      O�er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

      Much has happened in our land since this song became our National Anthem on March 3, 1931. Much of it has not been good. I, for one, am trying to do everything I can to push back against darkness and the forces that would like to remove God from America. That's why I'm writing this now. Without the power and blessing from God, America would be nothing.

      Max Elliot Anderson
      http://booksandboys.blogspot.com