Happy 4th of July

  • Monique Nicole Fox
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004

      Jesus on the 4th of JulyBy Marilyn Ferguson, ferguson@... http://www.abundantfun.com/poems/poemn201.htmlhttp://our.homewithgod.com/heavensgates/journey_2/July4th.htmlWe gather �round to celebrateOn Independence DayPay homage to our countryAs the children run and play.With barbecues and picnicsAnd fireworks in the airThe flag we own is proudly flownTo show how much we care.The stars and stripes spell freedomShe waves upon the breezeWhile bursts of colors can be seenAbove the towering trees.This is all quite wonderfulWe revel in delightBut God above in divine loveHas brought this day to light.With just a stroke of libertyA touch of His great handHe gave democracy to usAnd helped this country stand.The stripes upon our stately flagWere touched by His sweet graceEach star of white that shines so brightReflects His loving face.So as you turn to face the flagFor battles that were foughtBe filled with pride for those who diedAnd freedoms that were bought. But don�t forget to thank the
      OneThat gives the bright displayThe reason why we paint the skyOn Independence Day ==========================A Prayer For Independence DayBy Helen Steiner Ricehttp://www.pennyparker2.com/independence.htmlGod bless America And keep us safe and free,Safe from "all our enemies"Wherever they may be.For enemies are forces That often dwell within,Things that seem so harmless Become a major sin.Little acts of selfishness Grow into lust and greed,And make the love of power Our idol and our creed.For all our wealth and progress Are as worthless as can be,Without the faith that made us great And kept our nation free.And while it's hard to understand The complexities of war,Each one of us must realize That we are fighting for The principles of freedom And the decency of man,But all of this much be achieved According to God's plan.So help us as Americans To search deep down inside,And discover if the things we do Are always justified.And teach us to walk humbly And closer in Thy ways,And give
      us faith and courage And put purpose in our days.And make each one of us aware That each must do his part,For in the individual is where peace Must have its start.For a better world to live in Where all are safe and free,Must start with faith and hope And love deep in the heart of "Me."==========================Freedom RingsBy Jill Lemming, expressions@... http://www.christianpoets.com/FOCP/library_results.php?poem=366Starry skies, and moonlit nights,Such beauty in our land . . .We�re so thankful for these blessings,That come from God�s own hand.The right to vote, to have a choice,In a nation proud and strong.And on this Independence Day,We sing our Freedom Song.We salute our flag so proudly,And thank God for the chance to say,"There�s no country we love betterThan the good ol' USA!"Today we'll gather togetherWith our family and our friends,Giving thanks to our Heavenly FatherFor the blessings that He sends.Thank you, Lord, for America,A place where we can pray;We give You
      all the glory,On this Independence Day. ==========================God Bless AmericaBy Helen Steiner Ricehttp://www.pennyparker2.com/bless.html"America the beautiful" ...May it always stay that way;But to keep "Old Glory" flying,There's a price that we must pay.For everything worth having Demands work and sacrifice,And freedom is a Gift from God That commands the highest price.For all our wealth and progress Are as worthless as can be,Without the Faith that made us great And kept our country free.Nor can our nation hope to live Unto itself alone;For the problems of our neighbors,Must today become our own.And while it's hard to understand The complexities of war,Each one of us must realize That we are fighting for The principles of freedom And the decency of man,And as a Christian nation We're committed to God's Plan.And as the Land of Liberty And a great God-fearing nation.We must protect our honor And fulfill our obligation.So in these times of crisis Let us offer no resistance,In
      giving help to those who need Our strength and our assistance.And "The Stars and Stripes Forever"Will remain a symbol of A rich and mighty nation Built on Faith and Truth and Love.==========================God Bles The U.S.ABy Lee Greenwoodhttp://www.pennyparker2.com/theusa.htmlIf tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life,And I had to start again With just my children and my wife ...I'd thank my lucky stars To be living here today,'Cause the flag still stands for freedom And they can't take that away.I'm proud to be an American Where at least I know I'm free,And I won't forget the men who died Who gave that right to me;And I gladly stand up next to you And defend her still today,'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A.From the lakes of Minnesota To the hills of Tennessee,Across the plains of Texas From sea to shining sea;From Detroit down to Houston And New York to L.A.,There's pride in every American heart And it's time we stand and say
      ...I'm proud to be an American Where at least I know I'm free,And I won't forget the men who died Who gave that right to me;And I gladly stand up next to you And defend her still today,'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A.==========================God Bless My CountryBy Mary Carpiohttp://www.poetspassion.com/mypoem.htm?C=10898God bless my countrythe land where I was bornWith violence and terrorfrom vengence has forborneWe the beloved peopleare a nation as a wholeLet us rise up in unitywith peace as our goalThis is the land of libertywhere justice is for us allno one can stand against usfor with God we stand up tall==========================United in PrayerBy RCShttp://www.poetspassion.com/mypoem.htm?C=5881Hands interlocked nationwideunited in prayer side by sideWe bow our heads to God abovecause Americans count on his undying loveGod keep our soldiers as they fight this warand in the end let the eagle soar==========================FREEDOM�S PRICE (Tribute
      to Declaration of Independence) By James E. Tate, jetate@... http://www.christianpoets.com/FOCP/library_results.php?poem=2478"In God we trust," on our money appearsShowing our faith down through the years.Behind the flag we call "Old Glory"Lies a valiant and courageous story.The Declaration, as Jefferson penned it,Called for British rule to be ended.Unalienable rights of freedom were toldWhen John Hancock etched his signature bold.Fifty-six strong and courageous menTook in hand a goose-quill pen.Knowing the risk, and holding life dear,They signed the charter, ignoring the fear.Five endured torture which took their lives,Never returning to their wives.Twelve homes were looted, plundered, or burned,And nine men died in a war they had spurned.Four sons were captured or otherwise lost,Of these brave men who counted the cost.Their gallant echoes of the pastSpeak of a heritage rich and vast.Now, we cherish this land of oursAnd give praise to higher powers.God has smiled on its
      fruited plainsAnd blessed its wealth of golden grains.The Star-Spangled Banner proudly waves highOver these brave men, and we know why--Independence won by master design;Freedom gained through Providence Divine. ==========================THE DAY OF INDEPENDENCE By Peggy Jeanine Woody http://www.christianpoets.com/FOCP/library_results.php?poem=232The day of independenceCame 2,000 years ago,When a man from Galilee,Gave His Body, Spirit , Soul,And took our place in punishment,Bore stripes without a fight,Obedience to His Father's plan,Was utmost in His sight!He came to set His people free,From bondage to their sin,And gave them all a reason,To trust in Hope again.When freedom now we celebrate,Let's keep in mind this thought,The freedom that sets truly free,Was by Jesus' blood bought. ==========================

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2005
        Happy 4th of July

        ==========================

[...]

        From the lakes of Minnesota
        To the hills of Tennessee,
        Across the plains of Texas
        From sea to shining sea;
        From Detroit down to Houston
[...]

        From bondage to their sin,
        And gave them all a reason,
        To trust in Hope again.

        When freedom now we celebrate,
        Let's keep in mind this thought,
        The freedom that sets truly free,
        Was by Jesus' blood bought.

        ==========================

        When A Soldier Doesn't Come Home
        by Joan Clifton Costner
        http://underhiswings0.tripod.com

        When a soldier doesn't come home again,
        There's so much that's left undone;
        Like the strings of your heart all tied around
        A wonderful daughter or son.

        And, where are the grandchildren, promised by God,
        To be blessings in later life,
        The fellowship of the families born
        Because of the love in your life?

        When a soldier doesn't come back again,
        When the ultimate price is paid,
        And you can't make a trip to see the spot
        Where your beloved was laid ...

        When your heart hovers down, flat on the ground,
        And you see that familiar wave;
        Then, you feel, in your heart, attention
        And you understand freedom's high pay.

        It's a beautiful sight when the flag flies high;
        With it's colors of red, white, and blue.
        But, the flag brings a different feeling
        When it's folded ... and handed to you.

        I know it's only a bit of cloth.
        But, the emblem of freedom is there
        And it ONLY flies in the blue of the skies;
        For the price paid by someone who cared.

        It's almost as if a familiar wave
        From someone, you love, can been seen.
        Somehow, they're a part of the stars and stripes
        That wave o'er the land ... still free!

        Oh, flag of our land, beautiful and true,
        Oh, flag! Fly forever, and free!
        When I see the waves of our beautiful flag,
        I feel that it's flying for me!

        ==========================

        The Declaration of Independence
        by Steven W. Allen
        http://www.heartlight.org/articles/200407/20040704_declaration.html

        July 4 is a highlight of the summer, but unfortunately many see it
        as merely a day to play. However, on this day in 1776, the
        Declaration of Independence, one of the greatest documents of all
        time, was approved.

        The Declaration of Independence was written by Thomas Jefferson in
        just 17 days. Even more amazing is that he wrote it without the use
        of any reference materials. Jefferson was well educated, having
        studied philosophy and law at the College of William and Mary. He was
        also a voracious reader, which is evident from the 1815 sale of more
        than 6,700 of his books to the Library of Congress. Being so well
        read, he was doubtlessly exposed to many ideas that influenced him
        while writing the Declaration of Independence.

        However, he was also a deeply religious man, and the Declaration
        certainly reflects this. In the Declaration, there is an appeal to
        the "Supreme Judge of the world" and to "the laws of nature and
        nature's God." It concludes with these words: "And for support of
        this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the Protection of Divine
        Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes,
        and our Sacred Honor."

        Many have tried to negate God's hand in inspiring the Declaration of
        Independence by painting Jefferson as an unbeliever. They point to
        the copies of the New Testament, found after his death, with
        Scriptures referring to Jesus' miracles cut out as proof. However,
        his own writings provide a better explanation and put the question of
        his faith to rest:

        "I too have made a wee-little book ... which I call the "Philosophy
        of Jesus." It is ... made by cutting the texts out of the book, and
        arranging them on the pages of a blank book, in a certain order of
        time and subject. A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I
        have never seen. It is a document in proof that I am a real
        Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus
        ..."

        This book was later published as the Jefferson Bible. Jefferson also
        compiled another book which he called The Life and Morals of Jesus.
        It was a collection of verses from the New Testament in Greek, Latin,
        French and English. He wrote to a friend that he read nightly from
        this book before going to bed. Unquestionably, Jefferson's faith was
        a powerful influence in his life and on his writing of the
        Declaration of Independence.

        Understanding his circumstances just prior to writing the Declaration
        of Independence also helps Christians gain greater appreciation of
        it. In September 1775, his second child, one-year-old Jane, died. His
        mother passed away six months later, and as a result of the grief
        from both tragedies, Jefferson was incapacitated by severe migraine
        headaches for several weeks and nearly missed his appointment with
        destiny. However, he overcame his sorrow and wrote the incredible
        document that gave birth to the United States of America.

        As we celebrate this year, may we remember the sacrifices made for
        the freedoms we enjoy* and never take them for granted. May we also
        find strength to endure and triumph during trials like the American
        Founding Fathers did. May we not only thank God for inspiring the
        faith of men like Thomas Jefferson, but also recognize His divine
        hand in our own lives.

        *For a careful review of what the signers faced and paid for signing
        the Declaration of Independence and supporting the revolutionary war,
        many documents and opinions are available. As a place to begin, see a
        researched analysis by Mark Dixon.

        Steven W. Allen is author of Founding Fathers -- Uncommon Heroes,
        which examines the lives of six Founding Fathers, including how they
        turned to God for strength and inspiration. More information about
        the book can be found online.

        RELATED LINKS:
        * Declaration of Independence
        http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html
        * National Archives of Documents

        http://www.archives.gov/national_archives_experience/declaration.html
        * US History - Declaration of Independence
        http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/

        ==========================

        Christian Independence Day, by Phil Ware, phil@...

        http://www.heartlight.org/articles/200407/20040705_independenceday.htm

        Today is the business holiday extension of the most treasured
        national holiday in the United States. Independence Day is a yearly
        reminder and celebration of our national freedoms. It is also a time
        to ponder the cost of that freedom. There can be no doubt that
        freedom often comes at a high price -- with the recent Memorial Day
        remembrances; the dedication of the World War II Memorial in
        Washington, D.C.; the 60th anniversary of D-Day and the site of all
        those crosses on Normandy's hillside; and the ongoing issues in Iraq
        that continue to claim the lives of Iraqis, Americans, and people
        from other nations as well; this conclusion seems inescapable. The
        high cost of this freedom for those who signed the original
        Declaration of Independence is confirmation of this truth.*

        Many of Heartlight's readers are not from the United States. They
        often carry a different perspective on world events than those from
        the U.S. However, on issues of faith, we share deep bonds that
        transcend our geographical boundaries, primary languages, skin color,
        and national allegiances. We all know the high cost of our freedom as
        children of God. The recent release of The Passion of the Christ has
        once again confronted us very graphically with this incredible cost
        to God himself. Our freedom came at a huge price.

        The early followers of Jesus didn't have a yearly celebration to mark
        this event. Instead, they celebrated their Independence Day each
        week. From all indications, the first followers of Jesus shared in
        the Lord's Supper as a gathered group at least every first day of the
        week. (Acts 2:42-46; Acts 20:7; cf. 1 Corinthians 10:16-17; 1
        Corinthians 11:17-34) This day of remembrance became known as the
        Lord's Day among believers by the end of the first century.
        (Revelation 1:9-10) During The Supper, Christians remembered the
        Lord's death on the day of the Lord's victory over death and they
        anticipated the Lord's return and liberation from a world of decay
        and death. (Romans 8:18-25; cf. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18) As they
        shared in this special time, they also recognized that they were the
        Body of Christ in the world; his people called to live his life for
        the world. They were challenged to recognize that each person in
        Christ's Body is vital to it actually functioning as the presence of
        Jesus in the broken world. They were reminded that their ultimate
        allegiance was to a higher calling and a heavenly community that is
        more important than national and ethnic allegiances (Philippians 3:20-
        21) and they anticipated the celebration that awaits when all of
        earthly differences are lost in the wonder and praise of heaven
        itself. (Revelation 7:9)

        Each Sunday, every Lord's Day, is the Christian's Independence Day.
        Let's not forget to celebrate it. Let's not forget to remember the
        high cost of our freedom and to anticipate the day of our ultimate
        and glorious experience of that freedom when we see the Lord face to
        face. (1 John 3:1-3) Let's not forget that our church family crosses
        all of earth's boundaries and awaits the Savior of all peoples,
        languages, tribes, and nations. Let's be reminded that each believer,
        each brother and sister in God's Kingdom, is precious and vital to
        the work of the Kingdom in the world. Let's learn to more completely,
        more universally, more joyfully celebrate our Christian Independence
        Day and more fully demonstrate the character and compassion of our
        Lord and King who made this freedom possible.

        *For a careful review of what the signers faced and paid for signing
        the Declaration of Independence and supporting the revolutionary war,
        many documents and opinions are available. As a place to begin, see a
        researched analysis by Mark Dixon.

        RELATED LINKS:
        * Freedom on July 4th
        http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?