Re: [Christian Fiction Writer] Subsidy publishers, Vantage Press, PublishAmerica

  • Nancy Sonneman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
      My book "Patches of Sunshine (A Daily Devotional for Fibromyalgia Patients") is available at www.FaithPoint.com and also at www.Amazon.com. I hope your friends enjoy them, and I thank you for being a friend to folks with fibro.

      Donna Conger <treszure7@...> wrote:
      Hi Nancy,

      First of all, where can I get a copy of your devotional? I have 2 dear friends with fibro.

      Second, subsidy publishers are publishers who put their publishing company name on the book, but you pay most of the fees to get it into print. They do the layout, the setup, the cover, assign the ISBN and even some promotion. But you have to pay them for these services. One company back east wanted $16,000 for publishing my book! Vantage Press will ask for money. I don't know how much, but you will have to pay them a few thousand at least. The idea is a partnership; if you can't get your book published via traditional publishers, they will put their name on your book but you finance the process.

      As for PublishAmerica, I have one book out with them, and they are currently working on getting another book published. PA gets mixed reviews in the publishing world, but I am happy with them overall. They do not charge any fees; and so they are a traditional publisher, in that they pay the author. I did not pay a dime to have my book published with them. However, they are a POD, meaning either Print on Demand or Publish on Demand publisher. Rather than print say, a thousand books up front and keep them stocked, they don't print until someone orders a certain number of books, and they print/publish that number of books. It usually takes a couple of weeks for me to get my order.

      If you can land a contract with a bigger, traditional house, then go for it. However, PODs are great, as long as you read their contract, and be sure you are comfortable with everything they've stipulated.

      I must stop here and give my testimony about Christian publishers versus PODs.

      I went through every Christian publisher in North America for 15 years to get my novel published, and they all said no. A lot of them said it was a wonderful book. One Chrsitan editor said she was haunted by my character. Another Christian editor said she dreamt about my character, wondering what was going to happen to her. I took 3 chapters to a writer's conference. Gayle Roper read it and adored it. Another Christian author (she had 18 novels out at the time but I can't remember her name!) raved about it. I kept the letter for years until my ex husband threw it out when we got divorced! Argh! One agent, after reading 3 chapters, said he wasn't sure how to represent the book and so he declined it, but then called me a few days later and asked me to send the rest of it, because his wife wanted to know how it turned out! So I knew there was merit in it!

      So, I got Sally Stuart's guide last year, found PA, and sent it. They said yes. I was ecstastic. It looks great. The Christian market is largely ignoring the novel because it's not published with a traditional Christian publisher, but the people who have read it have written me with tears in their eyes and rave comments. One woman donated a copy to a local battered woman shelter. A reading group in LA just requested copies for all the women in their Bible study group. My pastor, a very influential man in the state (Utah), loved it, and told the congregation about it. I sent a copy to T.D. Jakes and Jerry Jenkins. Lastly, a lot of Mormons have read the book, which thrills me, because it contains a very clear salvation message.

      I've been busy promoting and praying. PA publishes more Christian titles than most traditional Christian houses, and so if the author is committed to promoting, POD can sell a lot of books and advance the kingdom. I think PODs take a wee bit more books on than traditionals, because they aren't out the huge investment like other houses might be.

      Thanks for letting me give my testimony as well as advise. I hope this helps everyone on the list who's debating about which route to go. God richly bless,

      Donna Conger

      Nancy Sonneman <writer478@...> wrote:
      Hi, Everyone;

      I don't want to get burned when I have my newest book published.

      Does anyone know what subsidy publishers are, what Vantage Press is, and what is the difference between this and PublishAmerica? Should I steer clear of this and go for the bigger houses?

      Thank you very much;

      God's many blessings;

      Nancy Sonneman (writer478@...)

      author of "Patches of Sunshine (A Daily Devotional for Fibromyalgia Patients)"

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      God's many blessings;

      Nancy Sonneman (writer478@...)

      author of "Patches of Sunshine (A Daily Devotional for Fibromyalgia Patients)"

    • Steve Trower
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Donna,

        Just thought I'd let you know I found these comments on POD
        interesting, as having exhausted the UK's limited number of Christian
        publishers I found that there are some ludicrously cheap deals for
        POD (I've yet to figure out the catch!)

        I'm trying to put my Old Testament Space Opera to some mainstream sf
        publishers, but as I think I've mentioned here before, am wary of
        having the 'religious' themes edited out.

        Anyway, if anyone has any experience/tips on promoting self-
        published/POD books, I'd like to hear what I'd be letting myself in
        for!

        Steve

        --- In christianfictionwriter@yahoogroups.com, Donna Conger

        Service.