New Here, First Question

  • kal_shoal
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
      Hi all! I'm new not only to this group but also Chipmunk Basic... and programming altogether.

      So here's my first question:

      I've programmed a template for an interactive fiction game, but I don't know how to create the ability to save and load games. Without the ability to do this all is for naught!

      Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

      Thanks!

      -Rob A.
    • gwmorris@att.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
        Basically, it will depend on what format you are wanting to use. If it is all just binary/hex, you can read and write files from different spots by writing records. If you decide to go with text, the commands are about the same, but you might read in a character or two, or an entire line rather than making records. You assign a handle to a file, as in 'open "datafile.txt" for read as #1', or similar, then you can write "line input #1, sometext" or similar to read in a line of the file for you. Again, it all depends on how you want to write the files. Sorry I don't have more, but for the most part all BASICs work pretty much the same way. Check the help or man page if possible. It's on their site if you want to download it.

        --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "kal_shoal" <raron.signup@...> wrote:

        > Hi all! I'm new not only to this group but also Chipmunk Basic... and programming altogether.
        >
        > So here's my first question:
        >
        > I've programmed a template for an interactive fiction game, but I don't know how to create the ability to save and load games. Without the ability to do this all is for naught!
        >
        > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Rob A.

      • jeffonymail
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2012
          Hi, Rob.

          What do you mean by "the ability to load and save games"? Do you just need to write some variables to a file? Can you explain further?

          ....Jeff

          --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "kal_shoal" <raron.signup@...> wrote:
          > I've programmed a template for an interactive fiction game, but I don't know how to create the ability to save and load games.
        • Michael Reich
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2012
            What you're asking isn't really a Basic or Chipmunk Basic question, but
            a programming question about saving variables set in a game. You might
            want to visit the library and pick up an intro book on data files or
            database programming. At its simplest, what you want to do is write
            your program variables to a saved file (on disk) which probably could be
            a simple flat text file. Your program would then have a module to read
            this file later to restore the game to the prior point. Hope this helps.

            Many years ago I found "Data File Programming in Basic" by Finkel and
            Brown to be extremely helpful. It's listed here:
            http://books.google.com/books/about/Data_file_programming_in_BASIC.html?id=tHa4AAAAIAAJ

            On 3/6/12 6:11 AM, chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            There is 1 message in this issue.

            Topics in this digest:

            1. New Here, First Question
            From: kal_shoal

            Message
            1. New Here, First Question
            Posted by: "kal_shoal" raron.signup@... kal_shoal

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2012
              Oh, you've GOT to know it can be done, otherwise programming about anything would be a waste of time. I've never used a language that didn't have the capability, other than Javascript and others for the safety of us all. If you already designed a record-like structure, use that to store data. Then find out the length and you can store all the user data in one file if you want. If you just want to read in text, you can do that too. and still keep the data in the same file. It's not a lot of work, you just have to be sure you know what you're doing!

              --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "gwmorris@..." <gwmorris@...> wrote:

              > Basically, it will depend on what format you are wanting to use. If it is all just binary/hex, you can read and write files from different spots by writing records. If you decide to go with text, the commands are about the same, but you might read in a character or two, or an entire line rather than making records. You assign a handle to a file, as in 'open "datafile.txt" for read as #1', or similar, then you can write "line input #1, sometext" or similar to read in a line of the file for you. Again, it all depends on how you want to write the files. Sorry I don't have more, but for the most part all BASICs work pretty much the same way. Check the help or man page if possible. It's on their site if you want to download it.
              >
              > --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "kal_shoal" <raron.signup@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all! I'm new not only to this group but also Chipmunk Basic... and programming altogether.
              > >
              > > So here's my first question:
              > >
              > > I've programmed a template for an interactive fiction game, but I don't know how to create the ability to save and load games. Without the ability to do this all is for naught!
              > >
              > > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > -Rob A.

            • Ronald Carlson
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2012
                I have a copy of "Data File Programming in Basic" by Finkel and
                Brown. I thought this came with a large floppy with text files of the
                programs, but not in mine. I've seen this occasionally mentioned
                on book sites - does anyone know if it did come with a floppy, and
                if so where I can get a copy?

                thanks, Ron

                From: kal_shoal

                Message

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012
                  I don't recall a disk with the book, and if there was, it would be a 5
                  1/4" floppy. How would you read it?!

                  On 3/11/12 7:26 AM, chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  > 1b. Re: New Here, First Question
                  > Posted by: "Ronald Carlson"ronald.carlson.54@... ronald.carlson.54@...
                  > Date: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 pm ((PST))
                  >
                  > I have a copy of "Data File Programming in Basic" by Finkel and
                  > Brown. I thought this came with a large floppy with text files of the
                  > programs, but not in mine. I've seen this occasionally mentioned
                  > on book sites - does anyone know if it did come with a floppy, and
                  > if so where I can get a copy?
                  >
                  > thanks, Ron
                  >
                  > What you're asking isn't really a Basic or Chipmunk Basic question, but
                  > a programming question about saving variables set in a game. You might
                  > want to visit the library and pick up an intro book on data files or
                  > database programming. At its simplest, what you want to do is write
                  > your program variables to a saved file (on disk) which probably could be
                  > a simple flat text file. Your program would then have a module to read
                  > this file later to restore the game to the prior point. Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Many years ago I found "Data File Programming in Basic" by Finkel and
                  > Brown to be extremely helpful. It's listed here:
                  > http://books.google.com/books/about/Data_file_programming_in_BASIC.html?id=tHa4AAAAIAAJ

                • Gary Morris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2012
                    Ha-ha! I still have a couple of those old drives.

                    G.