Associating .bas files with Chipmunk Basic (PC)

  • gmontag1138
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      I have two Chipmunk Basic program files I use in my job on a regular basis. We use Windows XP and 7, and I want to make them accessible to my coworkers without them needing to type RUN"PROGRAM each time.

      I was able to associate the .BAS file with Chipmunk Basic by right-clicking the program file and selecting "Open with," choosing CBasic, and checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Now I could double-click the file and CBasic would automatically open and execute the program.

      This worked for a couple of weeks, but then (on my computer only) it suddenly stopped working. Windows will no longer allow me to select the CBasic exe file as a default application. Searching the internet, I've repeatedly read that this is just how all versions of Windows work; you simply can't associate file types with exe files. BUT I did it just two weeks ago!!!

      Can anyone help me get this working again?

      Michael
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2011
        Well, I see nobody answered, but you didn't write back again either. In your case a plain old batch file should do it, and you should be able to click it too. Users would then type nothing! Just call it in the batch file like "cbasic filename.bas", and you should be able to just pop that on the desktop.

        --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "gmontag1138" <mikeebean@...> wrote:

        > I have two Chipmunk Basic program files I use in my job on a regular basis. We use Windows XP and 7, and I want to make them accessible to my coworkers without them needing to type RUN"PROGRAM each time.
        >
        > I was able to associate the .BAS file with Chipmunk Basic by right-clicking the program file and selecting "Open with," choosing CBasic, and checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Now I could double-click the file and CBasic would automatically open and execute the program.
        >
        > This worked for a couple of weeks, but then (on my computer only) it suddenly stopped working. Windows will no longer allow me to select the CBasic exe file as a default application. Searching the internet, I've repeatedly read that this is just how all versions of Windows work; you simply can't associate file types with exe files. BUT I did it just two weeks ago!!!
        >
        > Can anyone help me get this working again?
        >
        > Michael

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 22, 2011
          I answered the message on 11/9/11 with several references on associating file types in Windows. Original poster has not posted anything since original message AFAIK.

          --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gwmorris@...> wrote:

          > Well, I see nobody answered, but you didn't write back again either. In your case a plain old batch file should do it, and you should be able to click it too. Users would then type nothing! Just call it in the batch file like "cbasic filename.bas", and you should be able to just pop that on the desktop.
          >
          > --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "gmontag1138" <mikeebean@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have two Chipmunk Basic program files I use in my job on a regular basis. We use Windows XP and 7, and I want to make them accessible to my coworkers without them needing to type RUN"PROGRAM each time.
          > >
          > > I was able to associate the .BAS file with Chipmunk Basic by right-clicking the program file and selecting "Open with," choosing CBasic, and checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Now I could double-click the file and CBasic would automatically open and execute the program.
          > >
          > > This worked for a couple of weeks, but then (on my computer only) it suddenly stopped working. Windows will no longer allow me to select the CBasic exe file as a default application. Searching the internet, I've repeatedly read that this is just how all versions of Windows work; you simply can't associate file types with exe files. BUT I did it just two weeks ago!!!
          > >
          > > Can anyone help me get this working again?
          > >
          > > Michael

        • Michael Bean
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2011
            Hi Gary-
            This question was posted by me. But as you may recall, for some reason I can no longer sign in to Yahoo. I don't believe there is any way I could have forgotten my password, and Yahoo won't let me change it or recover it. Yahoo keeps saying they'll look into it and get back to me, but I think I'll just need to get a new account, and that's why I haven't responded to my question. I hope you'll update this question so other members won't think I'm blowing them off. Thank you!
            Michael

            To: chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com
            From: mareich49@...
            Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:19:38 +0000
            Subject: [Chipmunk Basic Forum] Re: Associating .bas files with Chipmunk Basic (PC)

            I answered the message on 11/9/11 with several references on associating file types in Windows. Original poster has not posted anything since original message AFAIK.

            --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gwmorris@...> wrote:

            > Well, I see nobody answered, but you didn't write back again either. In your case a plain old batch file should do it, and you should be able to click it too. Users would then type nothing! Just call it in the batch file like "cbasic filename.bas", and you should be able to just pop that on the desktop.

            > --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "gmontag1138" <mikeebean@> wrote:

            > > I have two Chipmunk Basic program files I use in my job on a regular basis. We use Windows XP and 7, and I want to make them accessible to my coworkers without them needing to type RUN"PROGRAM each time.

            > > I was able to associate the .BAS file with Chipmunk Basic by right-clicking the program file and selecting "Open with," choosing CBasic, and checking the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Now I could double-click the file and CBasic would automatically open and execute the program.

            > > This worked for a couple of weeks, but then (on my computer only) it suddenly stopped working. Windows will no longer allow me to select the CBasic exe file as a default application. Searching the internet, I've repeatedly read that this is just how all versions of Windows work; you simply can't associate file types with exe files. BUT I did it just two weeks ago!!!

            > > Can anyone help me get this working again?

            > > Michael

          • Michael Bean
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2011
              Let's see if I can use the respond via email link... Yahoo
              seems to have blocked me from signing in or forgotten my password, so I have been unable to respond to
              this topic. I can't reset or recover my password (besides I only use two passwords for
              everything.) Yahoo keeps autoresponding that they'll look into the issue and get back to
              me but I don't think they will, so I'll try to create a new account after the
              first.

              That said, I appreciate the responses (it appears
              mareich49's response has disappeared.) I was unable to associate the .bas file
              with Chipmunk on one of the computers; it looks like the registry entry for .bas
              has been corrupted or something. Ultimately I did create a batch file that would
              open the file for the user.

              Hope to see you all soon with a new screen name if
              I can find the time to sign up again!

              Michael B.

            • Gary
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
                No big deal, I wasn't really worried about it but I DID think
                a batch file would probably be the easiest route to go once I
                read the whole post. You say that you have implemented a batch
                file, and I assume it's working well for you. I really can't
                think of any other solutions that would be simple to do. On the
                other hand, I can think of other solutions that would likely
                work fine, but why? You COULD even write a BASIC program that
                calls the other one(s). Technically, you could even write and
                compile an executable program to do it, but again, why? The
                batch file just seemed so much easier..

                Hope you get your access back!

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
                  It hasn't disappeared from the list archive. My 11/9 response is message #887.

                  --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bean <mikeebean@...> wrote:

                  > Let's see if I can use the respond via email link... Yahoo
                  > seems to have blocked me from signing in or forgotten my password, so I have been unable to respond to
                  > this topic. I can't reset or recover my password (besides I only use two passwords for
                  > everything.) Yahoo keeps autoresponding that they'll look into the issue and get back to
                  > me but I don't think they will, so I'll try to create a new account after the
                  > first.
                  >

                  > That said, I appreciate the responses (it appears
                  > mareich49's response has disappeared.) I was unable to associate the .bas file
                  > with Chipmunk on one of the computers; it looks like the registry entry for .bas
                  > has been corrupted or something. Ultimately I did create a batch file that would
                  > open the file for the user.
                  >

                  > Hope to see you all soon with a new screen name if
                  > I can find the time to sign up again!
                  >

                  > Michael B.

                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2011
                    Not a problem, these things happen. I checked back for a few days and didn't see any replies, so I threw my idea in there (and that is likely what I would have ended up doing myself!), I just hope it helped, as it seemed like such an easier solution than fighting with Windows anyway.