About to make a HUGE jump in my BASIC Knowledge ....

  • MstrPBK
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2011
      One of the reasons why I slowed my interest in BASIC Programming was
      that in high school (mid to late 1970's) our variation of BASIC Language
      required TWO sets of variables; one for processsing and one to save to a
      file. This drove me ape-shit because it never made sense to me as to
      why two sets of variables were necessary - obviously today we have come
      a long way!.

      This week I plan to force myself to cross that boundary and learn how to
      do File creation and management.

      From what I am reading about Chipmunk BASIC ... the following commands
      do the following:

      * OPEN [Filename] as [#Number] to establish a file
      * CLOSE [#Number] close a file
      * PRINT [#Number],[Variable list] to record 1 record to 'x' file
      The question that comes to my mind is what format structure is the file
      in? Is the user creating a Text file, tab separated file, Comma
      seperated file, or Chipmunk BASIC create a (trying to be funny) Chipmunk
      File (.bas)?

      I realize that files have to be read sequentially, and by whole records.
      And I have already implemented 'Key Numbers' in my data structure
      (learned from database designs). The question on the other side of the
      design process is that is the 'read file' command? I am not immediately
      seeing that command in the materials; I could be reading to fast.

      And finally - does anyone have any 'famous last words for me' before I
      take this plunge?

      Peter Kelley
      St. Paul, MN USA