Re: Chipmunk Basic Computer Science Help

  • saterbakatle
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2010
      Uum, i only know really basic stuff with it. I can do for next loops. I can draw stuff. I can use If then statements. I can do some random statements. I can type you out the full problem if necessary. I can get the pet to change forms using the clear command, but I would need help with timer commands.

      --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Bryan McDonald <dude1@...> wrote:

      > Maybe a bit more about the problem statement would be helpful.
      >
      > If you can draw a pet, that's a start. Maybe make it so:
      > 1) if you don't do anything for a while, it barks (assuming a dog)
      > 2) when you roll over it with your mouse, it looks at you
      > 3) click on it and the tail wags
      >
      > Sent from my new iPhone 3GS

    • saterbakatle
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2010
        Thanks for the help. If you can help me on doing time commands that would be a great start. I dont really know how to do them, and my computer science teacherf is used to truebasic so he doesnt know either.

        If you need the full problem I can type it up for you too. Thanks a ton for the help.

        --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "griffin239" <bill@...> wrote:

        > Here's something you can do with simple text, then figure out how you want to deal with it graphically later.
        > Pets have NEEDS:
        > 1. a name (this is one time value)
        > 2. food
        > 3. play (includes general exercise etc)
        > 4. grooming
        > 5. sleep
        >
        > A simple set up would be on a timer, at set times, the pet program tells the
        > user what the pet needs.
        > Then the user applies different actions to the pet, so
        > food: "give treat", or beef, or fish, or chicken, crunchy bag-o-food-mix etc
        > play: "play fetch", "play frisbee", "play tag", "give toy", "walk in park", "cuddle","wrestle" etc
        > grooming: "brush fur", "tub wash", "flea collar" etc
        > sleep: "give blanket", "sleep in bed", "sleep on floor", "give pillow", etc
        >
        > Each of those would have some value associated with them.
        > Over the course of a pet day, their general health and happiness value decreases ever so slightly, and the user tries to maintain or increase that level by providing different things.
        >
        > You might have a system where feeding the beast chicken three times in a row
        > decreases the effectiveness of the chicken. You might also have a random effect where some food makes the creature get ill and the happiness level plummets, it would be up to the user to notice that and not give it the again.
        > Playing the same game over and over might bore the creature.
        > A "walk in the park" might give the creature fleas, and the happiness value
        > goes down until they get a flea bath or collar.
        >
        > Ok hope that helps some.
        >
        > Mr Bill

      • griffin239
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2010
          Here's a simple program that keeps track of time.
          It expects keyboard input, the longer you wait,
          the more seconds elapse, eventually it will tell you how many minutes elapsed.

          5 REM Set variables
          10 minutes = 0

          20 REM track seconds
          20 currentPassed = 0

          50 REM get current time
          60 REM timer is a BASIC function; see documentation
          70 currentTime = timer

          100 REM wait for input
          110 input "Press any key to continue";a$

          200 REM calculate the seconds passed
          210 passed= timer-currentTime
          220 print "seconds: "; passed

          300 REM update seconds count
          310 currentPassed = currentPassed +passed

          400 REM track minutes
          410 if currentPassed = 60 then goto 600

          500 REM loop back to input wait
          510 goto 50