Opening COM ports to RS232 devices

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010
      I have been a devoted user of CB for many years, but one of the annoyances is that every time I upgrade to a new computer the procedure needed to talk to my old RS232 serial devices changes.

      I am currently using a Mac Mini with OS10.6 Snow Leopard. My last machine, also a Mac Mini ran OS10.4. In it I used the following code to find what devices were connected via USB and then used that info to write the open COM instruction:

      for n-1 to 6:print macfunction("serialport",n):next

      In the new machine, using the above lists two bluetooth devices but no Keyspan Serial Adapter---even though the adapter shows up in the USB section of the computer's System Profiler. ( I am using a Keyspan USA-19H single-port USB/Serial adapter.)

      Any suggestions about what to do?
    • rhnlogic
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010
        Periodically, new versions of Mac OS seem to hide the serial port in completely different places.

        From the Terminal, with the USB/serial unplugged, type
        ls -ltr /dev/*
        Plug in your serial adapter. Type
        ls -ltr /dev/*
        again. Did any new cu.* or tty.* devices appear?

        Also, from where did you get the Keyspan Serial adapter driver for Snow Leopard?

        Also, the device detection line should probably be:
        for n=1 to 6: print fn serialpath(n): next n