Re: Function popup menu in TextWrangler 3.1

  • jeffonymail
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi, Charles.

      I recently upgraded to TextWrangler 3.1. However, I am not familiar with "the function popup menu". Can you explain? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

      ....Jeff

      --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, René <charles.trois@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > In TextWrangler 3.0, the function popup menu lists everything that is named sub...().
      >
      > But in TextWrangler 3.1, the only subroutines that are shown are the "primary" ones, I mean those that get called directly from the menu. The "secondary" ones, that get called through those, are not listed.
      >
      > This makes things a bit awkward when there are numerous subs: would it be possible to update the CB syntax module so that it works with TW 3.1, listing every subroutine?
      >
      > Thanks for your attention to this problem.
      >
      > Charles

    • René
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
        --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, jeffonymail <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Charles.
        >
        > I recently upgraded to TextWrangler 3.1. However, I am not familiar with "the function popup menu". Can you explain? Sorry if I'm being dumb.
        >
        > ....Jeff

        Sorry. I didn't think there could be any confusion. On Nov 12, 2007, Jim DeVona wrote to this forum:

        I've updated my Chipmunk Basic language module for TextWrangler/
        BBEdit. Named subroutines now appear in the function popup menu,
        making it easier to navigate large programs.

        http://anoved.net/cbas.html#tw

        That's what it's about. The popup menu in question is the second from the left.

        Charles
      • Jim DeVona
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
          On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM, René <charles.trois@...> wrote:
          On Nov 12, 2007, Jim DeVona wrote to this forum:

          > I've updated my Chipmunk Basic language module for TextWrangler/
          > BBEdit. Named subroutines now appear in the function popup menu,
          > making it easier to navigate large programs.
          >
          > http://anoved.net/cbas.html#tw
          >
          > That's what it's about. The popup menu in question is the second from the left.
          >
          > Charles

          Hi all -

          Oops, I guess this discussion is directed at me. It would seem
          something in recent versions of TextWrangler changed, breaking the
          subroutine part of the syntax module. I haven't tested it myself...
          but anyone else is welcome to tackle it. Syntax modules are documented
          in TextWrangler via Help->User Manual.

          I will post here on the chance I do manage to figure out a fix. Glad
          to see someone getting some use out of those syntax modules,
          incidentally!

          Jim
        • jeffonymail
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
            O.K., I'm using TextWrangler 3.1. I use the syntax language module so that it colors the text making keywords blue, constants red, etc.

            I wasn't aware of the drop-down/pop-up menu that lists named subroutines. Now I see that if I click on it it shows a list of subroutines. If I choose one it moves to that subroutine and highlights it.

            What's broken?

            ....Jeff

            --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Jim DeVona <jim.devona@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM, René <charles.trois@...> wrote:
            > On Nov 12, 2007, Jim DeVona wrote to this forum:
            > >
            > > I've updated my Chipmunk Basic language module for TextWrangler/
            > > BBEdit. Named subroutines now appear in the function popup menu,
            > > making it easier to navigate large programs.
            > >
            > > http://anoved.net/cbas.html#tw
            > >
            > > That's what it's about. The popup menu in question is the second from the left.
            > >
            > > Charles
            >
            > Hi all -
            >
            > Oops, I guess this discussion is directed at me. It would seem
            > something in recent versions of TextWrangler changed, breaking the
            > subroutine part of the syntax module. I haven't tested it myself...
            > but anyone else is welcome to tackle it. Syntax modules are documented
            > in TextWrangler via Help->User Manual.
            >
            > I will post here on the chance I do manage to figure out a fix. Glad
            > to see someone getting some use out of those syntax modules,
            > incidentally!
            >
            > Jim

          • René
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
              --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, jeffonymail <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > O.K., I'm using TextWrangler 3.1. I use the syntax language module so that it colors the text making keywords blue, constants red, etc.
              >
              > I wasn't aware of the drop-down/pop-up menu that lists named subroutines. Now I see that if I click on it it shows a list of subroutines. If I choose one it moves to that subroutine and highlights it.
              >
              > What's broken?
              >
              > ....Jeff

              The problem is the one I described in my first post: it may happen that some of the subroutines are shown and the others not.

              Charles
            • Jim DeVona
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:09 AM, René <charles.trois@...> wrote:

                > > What's broken?
                > >
                > > ....Jeff
                >
                > The problem is the one I described in my first post: it may happen that some of the subroutines are shown and the others not.

                Can you give examples of subroutines that are shown and those that are
                not? Perhaps it has to do with what special characters in the name?

                Jim

                --
                EvoS Project Coordinator
                Binghamton University
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 14, 2010
                  --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Jim DeVona <jim.devona@...> wrote:

                  > Can you give examples of subroutines that are shown and those that are
                  > not? Perhaps it has to do with what special characters in the name?

                  My first answer was posted on Feb 8, but it did not get through.

                  I have found out what happens. It is due to the existence of a certain limit L with respect to the working of the function menu: if the length of a subroutine (sub number N) exceeds L lines, then the list on the menu is truncated at sub N-1.

                  In my case, there is a subroutine 150 lines long, which is shown in TW 3.0, but not in 3.1. One may thus conclude that L is >150 for 3.0 and <150 for 3.1.

                  Why there is such a limit, and why it differs according to versions of TW, is an obscure matter.

                  Cheers.

                  Charles
                • René
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 14, 2010

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 14, 2010
                      On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:27 AM, René wrote:
                      > --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Jim DeVona <jim.devona@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Can you give examples of subroutines that are shown and those that are
                      > > not? Perhaps it has to do with what special characters in the name?
                      > >
                      > My first answer was posted on Feb 8, but it did not get through.
                      >
                      > I have found out what happens. It is due to the existence of a certain limit L with respect to the working of the function menu: if the length of a subroutine (sub number N) exceeds L lines, then the list on the menu is truncated at sub N-1.
                      >
                      > In my case, there is a subroutine 150 lines long, which is shown in TW 3.0, but not in 3.1. One may thus conclude that L is >150 for 3.0 and <150 for 3.1.
                      >
                      > Why there is such a limit, and why it differs according to versions of TW, is an obscure matter.
                      >
                      > Cheers.
                      >
                      > Charles

                      Hi Charles,

                      I am glad to hear you have worked out the exact conditions of the problem. It does sound like a bug or change in TW. I suggest you email this description and an example to support@... (TextWrangler's makers), along with a link to the syntax module. Hopefully they can then confirm the problem and perhaps offer a solution.

                      Jim

                    • René
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 15, 2010
                        --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Jim DeVona <jim.devona@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Charles,
                        >
                        > I am glad to hear you have worked out the exact conditions of the problem. It does sound like a bug or change in TW. I suggest you email this description and an example to support@... (TextWrangler's makers), along with a link to the syntax module. Hopefully they can then confirm the problem and perhaps offer a solution.
                        >
                        > Jim

                        Actually, I did send an e-mail of inquiry to Bare Bones, but they showed no interest, arguing that Chipmunk Basic is not supported by them.

                        I also tried to see if the observed effect is a general one by altering an existing C++ program, but had no success.

                        Feeling that I have no solid basis for a further discussion, I intend to just drop the matter and live with things such as they are.

                        Thank you very much for your interest.

                        Charles