Re: [Chipmunk Basic Forum] Can we collaborate on a basic tutorial?

  • jamiekg@e3.net.nz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      progman22000 <progman22000@...> wrote:

      > Hi gang,
      >
      > Do you think we can collaborate on a simplified basic programming
      > tutorial together? Perhaps using Chipmunk Basic as the "base".

      Sounds like a great idea. While it's dead easy to find simple pascal
      tutorials online, it's damn near impossible for a beginner to find a
      simple basic tutorial he can use with one of the few free Mac basics. I
      know it frustrated me.

      Regards,
      Jamie Kahn Genet
    • progman22000
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        You bring up a good point. I was only thinking of the Unix
        command-line versions, and just the windows port of Chipmunk Basic.
        I'd love to see screen shots of the Mac graphics of Chipmunk Basic.
        There's a chapter right there!

        Hmmm... maybe I could sell some stuff to get a decent Mac for Chipmunk
        Basic.. or maybe a Mac emulator for my FreeBSD...

        The pilot light for this project is certainly being lit!

        Brian

      • jamiekg@e3.net.nz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
          progman22000 <progman22000@...> wrote:

          > You bring up a good point. I was only thinking of the Unix
          > command-line versions, and just the windows port of Chipmunk Basic.
          > I'd love to see screen shots of the Mac graphics of Chipmunk Basic.
          > There's a chapter right there!
          >
          > Hmmm... maybe I could sell some stuff to get a decent Mac for Chipmunk
          > Basic.. or maybe a Mac emulator for my FreeBSD...

          There's plenty of old Macs that are more than up to the task on Ebay for
          dirt cheap prices. If I didn't live half a world away I'd be buying a
          few older systems, not just software. I envy the Americans sometimes -
          biggest secondhand and retro computing community in the world.

          > The pilot light for this project is certainly being lit!
          >
          > Brian

          To get the ball rolling, I'd like to offer 5MB (to start with) of space
          to host this project's web pages, or mirror them, if it gets that far
          (better not start trying to run, let alone walk, before the baby has
          even been born yet).

          My HTML design abilities are nothing to write home about, but I'd be
          more than willing to design a simple site to help get things moving,
          host draft chapters for comment, exchange progress reports, news and the
          like. Is someone willing to provide some content?

          I've seen too many worthwhile projects die after the initial enthusiasm
          runs out, so perhaps a virtual show of hands is in order to see how many
          are interested? I don't subscribe to the HotPaw Basic Yahoo group
          mentioned earlier, so maybe someone can tell me what level of support
          exists there?

          Regards,
          Jamie Kahn Genet

          > > Sounds like a great idea. While it's dead easy to find simple pascal
          > > tutorials online, it's damn near impossible for a beginner to find a
          > > simple basic tutorial he can use with one of the few free Mac basics. I
          > > know it frustrated me.

        • progman22000
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
            Hello Jamie,

            > There's plenty of old Macs that are more than up to the task on Ebay
            I'm about to fire up an older PPC 7500 I just got from a friend.
            We'll see if it works in about a week.

            > My HTML design abilities are nothing to write home about, but I'd be
            > more than willing to design a simple site to help get things moving,
            > host draft chapters for comment, exchange progress reports, news and the
            > like. Is someone willing to provide some content?

            Don't worry. My HTML abilities are pretty simple and nearly resemble
            my (limited) basic programming skills. That being said, I was amazed
            at how many of my friends think that HTML is hard. A handful of tags
            saved to index.html and off you go. Really.

            I did try to make a generic basic tutorial but found myself losing
            focus by not concentrating on one particular version of basic. That,
            and just general life issues getting in the way:

            http://www.greertech.com/genbasic/bascontents.html

            > I've seen too many worthwhile projects die after the initial enthusiasm

            That's why I'm trying to figure out if having a central controlling
            authority for submitted articles/features would be a good thing or
            not. I was toying with the idea of perhaps a web-ring, but that too
            can get out of hand, so maybe just interested documenters could just
            link to each other's pages - ie, just keep to the kiss theory for the
            long term... dunno' ..

            I wonder if people really know how easy it is to make some informative
            HTML pages with nothing but a simple text editor? Egads, another
            project... (smile)

            > are interested? I don't subscribe to the HotPaw Basic Yahoo group
            > mentioned earlier, so maybe someone can tell me what level of
            >support exists there?

            Great support and a lot of talent! I'm still blown away every time I
            program some small app for my Palm Pilot with HotPaw Basic.

            Brian