this is great !

  • spagetti_coder
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 17, 2001
      i am so happy to find good ol basic alive and
      well in 2001 !<br>'it is not the power of the language
      but rather the skill of the programmer'<br>anyways,
      in making an encryption program with i have
      encountered the following problem.<br>100 a$="test" :<br>110
      dim d$(4) : dim e(4)<br>120 for r=1 to 4 <br>130
      d$(r)=left$(b$,r)<br>140 e(r)=asc(d$(r))<br>150 display d$(r);"
      ";e(r)<br>160 next r<br>well this gives me the letters t,e,s,t
      one by one, but the value of e(r) never changes after
      the first ascii value is returned ! it gives the same
      ascii value for each of the subsequent letters !
    • gripperusa
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 24, 2001
        M spagetti_coder<br>This is great....<br>I'm not
        much of a programmer, hobby thing for me,<br>but will
        this give you what want??<br>100 a$="test" :<br>110
        dim d$(4) : dim e(4)<br>120 for r=1 to 4 <br>130
        '092401 rlb d$(r)=left$(b$,r)<br>131 d$(r) =
        mid$(a$,r,1)<br>140 e(r)=asc(d$(r))<br>150 '092401 rlb display
        d$(r);" ";e(r)<br>151 print d$(r);" ";e(r)<br>160 next
        r<br>Could it be that you are getting the<br>asc("t") =
        116<br>If this helps, great, if I'm missing the
        point<br>let me know more. - Rick
      • dunric
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 26, 2001
        • gripperusa
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 26, 2001
            dunric,<br>the locate = gotoxy, its been a while
            since I've<br>had my Mac, but there was some color in a
            started to use sunos a lot lately, I just<br>don't get
            (awk). <br>Hope this helps - Rick
          • gripperusa
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 19, 2001
              I've used the fgetbyte(#)and input$(1,#),
              "file.txt" for input as #1<br> while not eof(1)<br> c1$ =
              input$(1,1)<br> c2$ = input$(1,1)<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
              then 'UNIX goto unix2dos<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
              then 'DOS goto dos2unix<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
              then 'MAC goto mac2dos<br><br>All the files are
              Sequential Text Files.<br>Any help? - Thanks Rick
            • FrankWJ
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 25, 2001
                Beside the fact that d$(r) is based on b$ and not
                on a$, the asc() function can give you the ASCII
                value of only the left-most character in d$(r) -- which
                is always "t" if d$(r) were based on a$.<br><br>Line
                130 might better be expressed as<br><br> 130 d$(r) =
                mid$(a$,r,1)
              • FrankWJ
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 25, 2001
                  I believe you are looking to
                  'linefeed<br><br>Unfortunately, I don't recall which OS creates which combination
                  -- or lack thereof. For example, if c1$=chr$(13) and
                  c2$<>chr$(10), then I think you're dealing with a DOS file.
                • One_Winged_Boy
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                    Hi, all<br><br>I'm possitive the CHAR13 + CHAR10
                    is a DOS thing. I'm sure that unix only uses 13
                    (car-return) because a line feed is "obvious" after a
                    car-return.<br><br>I forgot whether MacOS uses Char13 or Char10, but I
                    think they do the same as Unix. Having used all 3, I've
                    had problems opening files that lack the right
                    sequence... Get a hex editor and open a few Simpletext files
                  • One_Winged_Boy
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                      discovered it, so... explore a bit. There are a few free
                      ones there if you have windows too.
                    • sgrace_pobox_com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                        My recollection is that UNIX uses LF (10) only without the CR (13).
                      • duaine_bollwitt
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2001
                          I have a number simple basic programs written in
                          the process of doing engineering project
                          calculations. They were written in "Microsoft BASIC (b)" in
                          1985-6. I'd like to convert the basic files to Chipmunk
                          Basic. The only version of "Microsoft BASIC (b)" (on
                          this Macintosh, G4, OS 9.1), crashes the OS. Can I, or
                          do I, have to purchase software to do the conversion
                          to Chipmunk Basic? -- Duaine
                        • gripperusa
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 5, 2001
                            Thanks <br> 200 rem dummy test get file name<br>
                            201 x = 0 : ck$ = ""<br> 202 input" Enter File Name
                            To Test ";name$<br> 204 if len(name$) = 0 then goto
                            1000 : 'exit<br> 210 open name$ for input as #1<br>
                            212 while not eof(1)<br> 215 ck$ = input$(1,1)<br>
                            217 x = x + 1 : print ck$;<br> 220 if ck$ = chr$(10)
                            then print : print "unix file ";x;" Characters<br> to
                            Find unix" : close #1 : sh$ = "unix2dos " + name$ + "
                            " + name$ : sys(sh$) :<br> goto 250<br> 225 if ck$
                            = chr$(13) then print : print "DOS file ";x;"
                            Characters<br>to find DOS" : close #1 : sh$ = "dos2unix " + name$
                            + " " + name$ : sys(sh$) : g<br>oto 250<br> 230
                            wend<br> 233 print "Error CKU-D.BAS Routine Unable To
                            Determine UNIX/DOS"<br> 241 close #1<br> 250 input"Enter
                            c/r to continue ";an$ : goto 200 : rem
                            again...<br>I'll work with this a while - Rick
                          • gripperusa
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2001
                              Is it intended that the newest version
                              of<br>Chipmunk BASIC for unix, basic-sunos, closes the Terminal
                              Window<br>when it EXIT - BYE?? <br>This is different than
                              sunos.basic v3.4.8b1,<br>perhaps there is something I am
                              doing?<br>Thanks - Rick
                            • One_Winged_Boy
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 6, 2001
                                Hi Duaine.<br><br>Do you still have access to an
                                old PC? I'm pretty sure that before QBASIC (1990),
                                BASIC programs were saved in "tokenized" mode, so you
                                could not read them from a text editor or Chipmunk
                                Basic because they look like random Junk.<br><br>The
                                only solution I know is to Open the programs in an
                                early version of BASIC, preferably BASIC(B) for DOS (on
                                a PC, regrettably --or VirtualPC if you have it and
                                do a web search for BASIC B somehow) and then save
                                it like this:<br><br>SAVE "FILENAME.BAS" ,
                                A<br><br>The "COMMA A" tells the BASIC command line to store
                                the program in ASCII, a plain text format that
                                Chipmunk basic reads.<br><br>Anyway, it takes a little bit
                                of time to make a BASIC program 100% compatible with
                                CB, but if you're not very new to CB, it's just a
                                matter of reading the EXCELLENT (IMHO) documentation
                                html for it to find syntax or function
                                replacements.<br><br>Good Luck. Post back if you want me to try and get a
                                BASIC A compiler. They used to come free with PCs until
                                about Windows 3.1
                              • gripperusa
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 24, 2001
                                  Can you gosub from inside a SUB..ENDSUB?<br>Will it see the gobal varables set in the gosub?<br>Thanks - Rick
                                • gripperusa
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 26, 2001
                                    Well I'm confused....<br>I would have thought
                                    that once you're in a<br>SUB...END SUB you could only
                                    work on what was<br>passed to that SUB, some
                                    v3.48b1, I not saying <br>this is right or wrong, I'm just
                                    great thing Ron's done here, I hope my<br>fumbling
                                    doesn't detract from that!<br><br>Thanks Rick
                                  • lizard_king55
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 1, 2001
                                      I know you can draw line in chipmunk basic in the mac version. Does anyone know if you can draw a line using a linear equation?
                                    • One_Winged_Boy
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 8, 2001
                                        I believe the answer is no. You can set a point
                                        and you can draw a poligon or a line. Maybe you need
                                        to look at the poly instruction? Linear equations
                                        are only supported under graphing calculators as far
                                        as I know.
                                      • hotpaw2
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 29, 2002
                                        • gripperusa
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 23, 2002
                                            Using sunos.basic<br>I have this:<br> 3200 SUB
                                            EMenu()<br> 3202 print " ";AL$ : xem = len(AL$)<br> 3204
                                            print " Choose From Menu "<br> 3206 print " 1. Append
                                            Supject At Minimum (12)"<br> 3208 print " 2. Append
                                            Subject At # Location "<br> 3210 print " 3. Edit Subject
                                            (vi) "<br> 3212 print " 4. Accept As Is (c/r) "<br>
                                            3213 print " 5. Append End Of Subject "<br> 3214 print
                                            " 6. Quit/Return To Main Menu "<br> 3216 CEM$ =
                                            INKEY$ : IF CEM$ = "" THEN GOTO 3216<br> 3218 IF CEM$ =
                                            "1" THEN GOTO 3230<br> 3220 IF CEM$ = "2" THEN GOTO
                                            3242<br> 3222 IF CEM$ = "3" OR UCASE$(CEM$) = "E" THEN
                                            GOTO 3254<br> 3224 IF CEM$ = "4" OR CEM$ = CHR$(10)
                                            THEN GOTO 3296<br> 3225 if cem$ = "5" then AL$ = AL$ +
                                            " " : goto 3250<br> 3226 IF CEM$ = "6" OR
                                            UCASE$(CEM$) = "Q" THEN run 100<br> 3228 GOTO 3216<br> 3230 '
                                            Append Subject At Minimum (12) or after first space
                                            (chr$(32))<br> 3232 xem = len(AL$) - 12<br> 3234 for r = 0 to
                                            xem<br> 3236 xem$ = mid$(AL$,12+r,1)<br> 3238 if xem$ =
                                            chr$(32) then AL$ = left$(AL$,r+12) : goto 3250<br> 3240
                                            next r<br> 3242 AL$ = left$(AL$,12)<br> 3244 input "
                                            Enter Position To Begin Append ";r$ : r = val(r$) : if
                                            r = 0 then r = xem<br> 3246 AL$ = left$(AL$,r)<br>
                                            3250 input " Append Subject (and/or) <c/r> To
                                            Continue ";cq$<br> 3252 AL$ = AL$ + cq$ : goto 3296<br>
                                            3254 open "etc.dat" for output as #1 : print #1,AL$ :
                                            close #1 : sys("vi etc.dat")<br> 3256 open "etc.dat"
                                            for input as #1 : input #1,AL$ : close #1 : goto
                                            : ' 021802 print " ";AL$ : input " Append Subject
                                            (and/or) <c/r> To Continue ";cq$<br><br>I am getting
                                            a error, something like:<br>"Extra Information on
                                            line 572"<br><br>am I running out of stack space or am
                                            Rick
                                          • hotpaw2
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 15, 2002
                                              Chipmunk Basic 3.5.8b7, a new Sep-2002 release, is
                                              on the Chipmunk Basic web site:

                                              http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic

                                              MacOS X console and command-line, and MacOS Classic versions.
                                              Fixed several bugs and added matrix invert.

                                              - rhn