Problem starting Chipmunk Basic in OS X 10.3.9 as a "limited" user

  • motnoslo1956
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      I work at a school where we want to limit access to student accounts
      to certain applications. So in OS X, you can allow certain
      applications to be run by going into the System Preferences app. for
      the particular account, and clicking a checkbox next to the name of
      the application, in this case "chipmunk basic". This checkbox doesn't
      seem to stay checked after closing the System Preferences application.
      When I try to run Chipmunk Basic, it says "You don't have permission
      to run Chipmunk Basic."

      On the Apple forums, I was asking about this issue and a response was:

      " The inability to add certain programmes to the "approved" list may
      be due to a separate issue that has its origins in the app itself.
      Most often, the cause is that the developer did not follow Apple's
      guidelines in providing complete information in the application's
      "Info.plist" file - in this case, the information required for a
      programme to be added to 'mcx_settings' in "NetInfo", where the
      configuration information for user "limitations" is stored. Although
      workarounds may be possible, ultimately the best solution is to
      contact the developer to have them fix the problem:
      http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300842 "

      Ok, I realize I'm probably very off-base here talking about this issue
      here, but the suggestion was that it might be the "Chipmunk Basic"
      app, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen anything similar. Now,
      I've run Chipmunk Basic on this machine before we started working on
      limiting access to applications.

      Thanks,
      Tom