Reading in comma separated data

  • bssmaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
      Dear All,

      I'm trying to read in a file of the form

      5,3,7,12,5
      23,5,7,8,1
      2,34,9,8,3 etc.

      Is there a way to read in one number at a time rather than the
      whole line. The following seems to ignore everything after the
      first number and runs out of data

      610 FOR Rows=1 TO R
      620 FOR Columns=1 TO C
      630 INPUT #1, a, : Arrayfirst(Rows,Columns) = a
      640 NEXT Columns
      660 NEXT Rows

      Yours dimly,

      Matthew.
    • Marcel Spisak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
        Not the simplest way:

        for/nxt
        input #1,a$ (reads on line into a$)
        with instr$ and mid$ read out position of "," and then the numbers in
        between
        nxt (for next line)

        yours
      • Jeremy Gardiner
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
          Matthew,

          If you always have a fixed number of columns, try this:

          for i = 1 to n
          input a(i,1),a(i,2),a(i,3),a(i,4),a(i,5)
          next i

          Not very elegant, but hey?

          Regards,
          Jeremy Gardiner

          --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, "bssmaw"
          <bssmaw@y...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to read in a file of the form
          >
          > 5,3,7,12,5
          > 23,5,7,8,1
          > 2,34,9,8,3 etc.
          >
          > Is there a way to read in one number at a time
        • hotpaw2
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2005
            The built-in field$(a$, n, ",") function will return comma seperated fields directly.

            --- In chipmunkbasicforum@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Spisak <mspisak@g...>