Chipmunk Basic Forum

  • hotpaw2
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 29, 2001
    • hotpaw2
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 29, 2001
      • spagetti_coder
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 17, 2001
          i am so happy to find good ol basic alive and
          well in 2001 !<br>'it is not the power of the language
          but rather the skill of the programmer'<br>anyways,
          in making an encryption program with i have
          encountered the following problem.<br>100 a$="test" :<br>110
          dim d$(4) : dim e(4)<br>120 for r=1 to 4 <br>130
          d$(r)=left$(b$,r)<br>140 e(r)=asc(d$(r))<br>150 display d$(r);"
          ";e(r)<br>160 next r<br>well this gives me the letters t,e,s,t
          one by one, but the value of e(r) never changes after
          the first ascii value is returned ! it gives the same
          ascii value for each of the subsequent letters !
        • gripperusa
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 24, 2001
            M spagetti_coder<br>This is great....<br>I'm not
            much of a programmer, hobby thing for me,<br>but will
            this give you what want??<br>100 a$="test" :<br>110
            dim d$(4) : dim e(4)<br>120 for r=1 to 4 <br>130
            '092401 rlb d$(r)=left$(b$,r)<br>131 d$(r) =
            mid$(a$,r,1)<br>140 e(r)=asc(d$(r))<br>150 '092401 rlb display
            d$(r);" ";e(r)<br>151 print d$(r);" ";e(r)<br>160 next
            r<br>Could it be that you are getting the<br>asc("t") =
            116<br>If this helps, great, if I'm missing the
            point<br>let me know more. - Rick
          • dunric
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 26, 2001
            • gripperusa
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 26, 2001
                dunric,<br>the locate = gotoxy, its been a while
                since I've<br>had my Mac, but there was some color in a
                started to use sunos a lot lately, I just<br>don't get
                (awk). <br>Hope this helps - Rick
              • gripperusa
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 19, 2001
                  I've used the fgetbyte(#)and input$(1,#),
                  "file.txt" for input as #1<br> while not eof(1)<br> c1$ =
                  input$(1,1)<br> c2$ = input$(1,1)<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
                  then 'UNIX goto unix2dos<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
                  then 'DOS goto dos2unix<br> if c1$ = ?? and c2$ = ??
                  then 'MAC goto mac2dos<br><br>All the files are
                  Sequential Text Files.<br>Any help? - Thanks Rick
                • FrankWJ
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 25, 2001
                    Beside the fact that d$(r) is based on b$ and not
                    on a$, the asc() function can give you the ASCII
                    value of only the left-most character in d$(r) -- which
                    is always "t" if d$(r) were based on a$.<br><br>Line
                    130 might better be expressed as<br><br> 130 d$(r) =
                    mid$(a$,r,1)
                  • FrankWJ
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 25, 2001
                      I believe you are looking to
                      'linefeed<br><br>Unfortunately, I don't recall which OS creates which combination
                      -- or lack thereof. For example, if c1$=chr$(13) and
                      c2$<>chr$(10), then I think you're dealing with a DOS file.
                    • One_Winged_Boy
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                        Hi, all<br><br>I'm possitive the CHAR13 + CHAR10
                        is a DOS thing. I'm sure that unix only uses 13
                        (car-return) because a line feed is "obvious" after a
                        car-return.<br><br>I forgot whether MacOS uses Char13 or Char10, but I
                        think they do the same as Unix. Having used all 3, I've
                        had problems opening files that lack the right
                        sequence... Get a hex editor and open a few Simpletext files
                      • One_Winged_Boy
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                          discovered it, so... explore a bit. There are a few free
                          ones there if you have windows too.
                        • sgrace_pobox_com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 26, 2001
                            My recollection is that UNIX uses LF (10) only without the CR (13).
                          • duaine_bollwitt
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 4, 2001
                              I have a number simple basic programs written in
                              the process of doing engineering project
                              calculations. They were written in "Microsoft BASIC (b)" in
                              1985-6. I'd like to convert the basic files to Chipmunk
                              Basic. The only version of "Microsoft BASIC (b)" (on
                              this Macintosh, G4, OS 9.1), crashes the OS. Can I, or
                              do I, have to purchase software to do the conversion
                              to Chipmunk Basic? -- Duaine
                            • gripperusa
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2001
                                Thanks <br> 200 rem dummy test get file name<br>
                                201 x = 0 : ck$ = ""<br> 202 input" Enter File Name
                                To Test ";name$<br> 204 if len(name$) = 0 then goto
                                1000 : 'exit<br> 210 open name$ for input as #1<br>
                                212 while not eof(1)<br> 215 ck$ = input$(1,1)<br>
                                217 x = x + 1 : print ck$;<br> 220 if ck$ = chr$(10)
                                then print : print "unix file ";x;" Characters<br> to
                                Find unix" : close #1 : sh$ = "unix2dos " + name$ + "
                                " + name$ : sys(sh$) :<br> goto 250<br> 225 if ck$
                                = chr$(13) then print : print "DOS file ";x;"
                                Characters<br>to find DOS" : close #1 : sh$ = "dos2unix " + name$
                                + " " + name$ : sys(sh$) : g<br>oto 250<br> 230
                                wend<br> 233 print "Error CKU-D.BAS Routine Unable To
                                Determine UNIX/DOS"<br> 241 close #1<br> 250 input"Enter
                                c/r to continue ";an$ : goto 200 : rem
                                again...<br>I'll work with this a while - Rick
                              • gripperusa
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  Is it intended that the newest version
                                  of<br>Chipmunk BASIC for unix, basic-sunos, closes the Terminal
                                  Window<br>when it EXIT - BYE?? <br>This is different than
                                  sunos.basic v3.4.8b1,<br>perhaps there is something I am
                                  doing?<br>Thanks - Rick
                                • One_Winged_Boy
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 6, 2001
                                    Hi Duaine.<br><br>Do you still have access to an
                                    old PC? I'm pretty sure that before QBASIC (1990),
                                    BASIC programs were saved in "tokenized" mode, so you
                                    could not read them from a text editor or Chipmunk
                                    Basic because they look like random Junk.<br><br>The
                                    only solution I know is to Open the programs in an
                                    early version of BASIC, preferably BASIC(B) for DOS (on
                                    a PC, regrettably --or VirtualPC if you have it and
                                    do a web search for BASIC B somehow) and then save
                                    it like this:<br><br>SAVE "FILENAME.BAS" ,
                                    A<br><br>The "COMMA A" tells the BASIC command line to store
                                    the program in ASCII, a plain text format that
                                    Chipmunk basic reads.<br><br>Anyway, it takes a little bit
                                    of time to make a BASIC program 100% compatible with
                                    CB, but if you're not very new to CB, it's just a
                                    matter of reading the EXCELLENT (IMHO) documentation
                                    html for it to find syntax or function
                                    replacements.<br><br>Good Luck. Post back if you want me to try and get a
                                    BASIC A compiler. They used to come free with PCs until
                                    about Windows 3.1
                                  • gripperusa
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 24, 2001
                                      Can you gosub from inside a SUB..ENDSUB?<br>Will it see the gobal varables set in the gosub?<br>Thanks - Rick
                                    • gripperusa
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 26, 2001
                                        Well I'm confused....<br>I would have thought
                                        that once you're in a<br>SUB...END SUB you could only
                                        work on what was<br>passed to that SUB, some
                                        v3.48b1, I not saying <br>this is right or wrong, I'm just
                                        great thing Ron's done here, I hope my<br>fumbling
                                        doesn't detract from that!<br><br>Thanks Rick
                                      • lizard_king55
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 1, 2001
                                          I know you can draw line in chipmunk basic in the mac version. Does anyone know if you can draw a line using a linear equation?
                                        • One_Winged_Boy
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 8, 2001
                                            I believe the answer is no. You can set a point
                                            and you can draw a poligon or a line. Maybe you need
                                            to look at the poly instruction? Linear equations
                                            are only supported under graphing calculators as far
                                            as I know.
                                          • hotpaw2
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 29, 2002
                                            • gripperusa
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 23, 2002
                                                Using sunos.basic<br>I have this:<br> 3200 SUB
                                                EMenu()<br> 3202 print " ";AL$ : xem = len(AL$)<br> 3204
                                                print " Choose From Menu "<br> 3206 print " 1. Append
                                                Supject At Minimum (12)"<br> 3208 print " 2. Append
                                                Subject At # Location "<br> 3210 print " 3. Edit Subject
                                                (vi) "<br> 3212 print " 4. Accept As Is (c/r) "<br>
                                                3213 print " 5. Append End Of Subject "<br> 3214 print
                                                " 6. Quit/Return To Main Menu "<br> 3216 CEM$ =
                                                INKEY$ : IF CEM$ = "" THEN GOTO 3216<br> 3218 IF CEM$ =
                                                "1" THEN GOTO 3230<br> 3220 IF CEM$ = "2" THEN GOTO
                                                3242<br> 3222 IF CEM$ = "3" OR UCASE$(CEM$) = "E" THEN
                                                GOTO 3254<br> 3224 IF CEM$ = "4" OR CEM$ = CHR$(10)
                                                THEN GOTO 3296<br> 3225 if cem$ = "5" then AL$ = AL$ +
                                                " " : goto 3250<br> 3226 IF CEM$ = "6" OR
                                                UCASE$(CEM$) = "Q" THEN run 100<br> 3228 GOTO 3216<br> 3230 '
                                                Append Subject At Minimum (12) or after first space
                                                (chr$(32))<br> 3232 xem = len(AL$) - 12<br> 3234 for r = 0 to
                                                xem<br> 3236 xem$ = mid$(AL$,12+r,1)<br> 3238 if xem$ =
                                                chr$(32) then AL$ = left$(AL$,r+12) : goto 3250<br> 3240
                                                next r<br> 3242 AL$ = left$(AL$,12)<br> 3244 input "
                                                Enter Position To Begin Append ";r$ : r = val(r$) : if
                                                r = 0 then r = xem<br> 3246 AL$ = left$(AL$,r)<br>
                                                3250 input " Append Subject (and/or) <c/r> To
                                                Continue ";cq$<br> 3252 AL$ = AL$ + cq$ : goto 3296<br>
                                                3254 open "etc.dat" for output as #1 : print #1,AL$ :
                                                close #1 : sys("vi etc.dat")<br> 3256 open "etc.dat"
                                                for input as #1 : input #1,AL$ : close #1 : goto
                                                : ' 021802 print " ";AL$ : input " Append Subject
                                                (and/or) <c/r> To Continue ";cq$<br><br>I am getting
                                                a error, something like:<br>"Extra Information on
                                                line 572"<br><br>am I running out of stack space or am
                                                Rick
                                              • hotpaw2
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                  Chipmunk Basic 3.5.8b7, a new Sep-2002 release, is
                                                  on the Chipmunk Basic web site:

                                                  http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic

                                                  MacOS X console and command-line, and MacOS Classic versions.
                                                  Fixed several bugs and added matrix invert.

                                                  - rhn