Rescue for MP3 player?

  • Declan Moriarty
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2006
      Windows has apparently copied some bit of a system file onto a 1
      gig MP3 player in the house here, overwriting the directories.

      This is a combined usb disk/mp3 player with a single vfat
      partition which can be mounted under linux.

      Current state is that it holds 220Megs of data. I am shown 770
      Megs free and 200+ megs used. There is 'no space on the device',
      however, and I can't write to it. It has also lost a nominal
      220Megs of capacity.

      I have heard bad things about formatting these (Notably that a low
      level format wipes the mp3 player bit and leaves the usb disk.
      Likewise I am slow to dd onto it without mounting.

      The data is of no consequence. I have been able to take an image
      of the first 250 Megs, but it's mainly zeroes. I have older
      (250Meg) versions around.

      Options please?

      --

      With best Regards,