Just Checking

  • jfreeman_97
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 5, 2006
      I haven't seen any messages here since the chang, just checking to see
      if I am doing something wrong
      John
    • Jaap van Ganswijk
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97" <jedfree@...> wrote:
        > I haven't seen any messages here since the chang, just checking to see
        > if I am doing something wrong
        > John

        A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the delivery option for all
        users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct that quite easily,
        but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have of course asked
        Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of their helpdesk staff
        seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest by morons. And then
        there are the brainless managers that want me to report on how their
        helpdesk did.

        Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed to the new mailing
        list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can change those settings
        by hand for each member individually.

        Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting when I haven't done
        already. Some people have changed their setting to 'digest' and I won't
        change that but I will change all 'no emails' to 'individual posts'. (I
        subscribed myself under a different email address as a control and I
        never opted for 'no emails'...)

        When you really wanted 'no emails' please change it back and let me
        know should I later change it again.

        Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test message yet, because
        no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't get this message...)
      • Rolandas
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6, 2006
          I see it too...

          --- Declan Moriarty <junk_mail@...> wrote:

          > Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
          > > --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97"
          > <jedfree@...> wrote:
          > > > I haven't seen any messages here since the
          > chang, just checking to see
          > > > if I am doing something wrong
          > > > John
          > >
          > > A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the
          > delivery option for all
          > > users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct
          > that quite easily,
          > > but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have
          > of course asked
          > > Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of
          > their helpdesk staff
          > > seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest
          > by morons. And then
          > > there are the brainless managers that want me to
          > report on how their
          > > helpdesk did.
          > >
          > > Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed
          > to the new mailing
          > > list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can
          > change those settings
          > > by hand for each member individually.
          > >
          > > Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting
          > when I haven't done
          > > already. Some people have changed their setting to
          > 'digest' and I won't
          > > change that but I will change all 'no emails' to
          > 'individual posts'. (I
          > > subscribed myself under a different email address
          > as a control and I
          > > never opted for 'no emails'...)
          > >
          > > When you really wanted 'no emails' please change
          > it back and let me
          > > know should I later change it again.
          > >
          > > Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test
          > message yet, because
          > > no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't
          > get this message...)
          > >
          > I got it... Am I the only one to see this?
          >

          > --
          >
          > With best Regards,
          >

          > Declan Moriarty.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Alois Bauer
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2006
            I see it too
            // Alois
            > I see it too...
            >
            > --- Declan Moriarty <junk_mail@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
            > > > --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97"
            > > chang, just checking to see
            > > >
            > > > A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the
            > > delivery option for all
            > > > users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct
            > > that quite easily,
            > > > but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have
            > > of course asked
            > > > Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of
            > > their helpdesk staff
            > > > seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest
            > > by morons. And then
            > > > there are the brainless managers that want me to
            > > report on how their
            > > > helpdesk did.
            > > >
            > > > Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed
            > > to the new mailing
            > > > list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can
            > > change those settings
            > > > by hand for each member individually.
            > > >
            > > > Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting
            > > when I haven't done
            > > > already. Some people have changed their setting to
            > > 'digest' and I won't
            > > > change that but I will change all 'no emails' to
            > > 'individual posts'. (I
            > > > subscribed myself under a different email address
            > > as a control and I
            > > > never opted for 'no emails'...)
            > > >
            > > > When you really wanted 'no emails' please change
            > > it back and let me
            > > > know should I later change it again.
            > > >
            > > > Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test
            > > message yet, because
            > > > no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't
            > > get this message...)
            > > >
            > > I got it... Am I the only one to see this?
            > >

            > > --
            > >
            > > With best Regards,
            > >

            > > Declan Moriarty.

            Alois Bauer
            WORK Microwave GmbH
            Raiffeisenstr. 12, D-83607 Holzkirchen, Germany
            Tel. {+49} (0)8024-6408-0 / FAX (0)8024-640840
          • Declan Moriarty
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2006
              > --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97" <jedfree@...> wrote:
              > > I haven't seen any messages here since the chang, just checking to see
              > > if I am doing something wrong
              > > John
              >
              > A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the delivery option for all
              > users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct that quite easily,
              > but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have of course asked
              > Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of their helpdesk staff
              > seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest by morons. And then
              > there are the brainless managers that want me to report on how their
              > helpdesk did.
              >
              > Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed to the new mailing
              > list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can change those settings
              > by hand for each member individually.
              >
              > Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting when I haven't done
              > already. Some people have changed their setting to 'digest' and I won't
              > change that but I will change all 'no emails' to 'individual posts'. (I
              > subscribed myself under a different email address as a control and I
              > never opted for 'no emails'...)
              >
              > When you really wanted 'no emails' please change it back and let me
              > know should I later change it again.
              >
              > Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test message yet, because
              > no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't get this message...)

              I got it... Am I the only one to see this?

              --

              With best Regards,

              Declan Moriarty.
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 6, 2006
                Got it as well.

                Declan Moriarty wrote:

                > Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                > > --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97" <jedfree@...> wrote:
                > > > I haven't seen any messages here since the chang, just checking to see
                > > > if I am doing something wrong
                > > > John
                > >
                > > A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the delivery option for all
                > > users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct that quite easily,
                > > but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have of course asked
                > > Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of their helpdesk staff
                > > seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest by morons. And then
                > > there are the brainless managers that want me to report on how their
                > > helpdesk did.
                > >
                > > Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed to the new mailing
                > > list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can change those settings
                > > by hand for each member individually.
                > >
                > > Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting when I haven't done
                > > already. Some people have changed their setting to 'digest' and I won't
                > > change that but I will change all 'no emails' to 'individual posts'. (I
                > > subscribed myself under a different email address as a control and I
                > > never opted for 'no emails'...)
                > >
                > > When you really wanted 'no emails' please change it back and let me
                > > know should I later change it again.
                > >
                > > Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test message yet, because
                > > no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't get this message...)
                > >
                > I got it... Am I the only one to see this?
                >

                > --
                >
                > With best Regards,
                >

                > Declan Moriarty.

                > Electrical engineering
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electrical+engineering&w1=Electrical+engineering&w2=Electrical+engineering+jobs&w3=Electrical&c=3&s=77&.sig=scBlrUPYSnPI8j-gs6DWWg>
                > Electrical engineering jobs
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electrical+engineering+jobs&w1=Electrical+engineering&w2=Electrical+engineering+jobs&w3=Electrical&c=3&s=77&.sig=SJ2i5hdSYoQD6Or3ejb74g>
                > Electrical
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electrical&w1=Electrical+engineering&w2=Electrical+engineering+jobs&w3=Electrical&c=3&s=77&.sig=RzU3Ndcpbj7rLlmlvE4nyQ>

              • Jaap van Ganswijk
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                  At 2006-02-06 20:02, Declan Moriarty wrote:
                  >Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                  >> --- In chipdir-l@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman_97" <jedfree@...> wrote:
                  >> > I haven't seen any messages here since the chang, just checking to see
                  >> > if I am doing something wrong
                  >> > John
                  >>
                  >> A major problem is that Yahoogroups has set the delivery option for all
                  >> users to 'no emails'. I should be able to correct that quite easily,
                  >> but the easy solution doesn't seem to work. I have of course asked
                  >> Yahoo to investigate this problem, but half of their helpdesk staff
                  >> seems to be replaced by AI programs and the rest by morons. And then
                  >> there are the brainless managers that want me to report on how their
                  >> helpdesk did.
                  >>
                  >> Anyway, the number of people that have subscribed to the new mailing
                  >> list seems to go stabilize at about 70 and I can change those settings
                  >> by hand for each member individually.
                  >>
                  >> Everyone: Feel free to change your own setting when I haven't done
                  >> already. Some people have changed their setting to 'digest' and I won't
                  >> change that but I will change all 'no emails' to 'individual posts'. (I
                  >> subscribed myself under a different email address as a control and I
                  >> never opted for 'no emails'...)
                  >>
                  >> When you really wanted 'no emails' please change it back and let me
                  >> know should I later change it again.
                  >>
                  >> Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test message yet, because
                  >> no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't get this message...)
                  >
                  >I got it... Am I the only one to see this?

                  I saw later that about 25 of the 63 members did get
                  it namely those who don't have a Yahoo ID (haven't
                  registered as a member of Yahoo) (17) and those
                  who have a Yahoo ID but who prefer a daily digest
                  instead of individual emails (8).

                  BTW. In the future it may be beneficial to have a
                  Yahoo ID so you can access the extra services for
                  this mailing list:

                  - access the archive
                  - chat
                  - files
                  - photos
                  - links
                  - add and acces databases
                  - polls
                  - access the member database
                  - calendar
                  - change your settings

                  Some of these services can be quite useful like
                  the files section where people can put things
                  that they want others to look at. (Attachments
                  are not allowed at the moment.)

                  Greetings,
                  Jaap
                • Richard Purdie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                    On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:07 +0100, Jaap van Ganswijk wrote:
                    > At 2006-02-06 20:02, Declan Moriarty wrote:
                    > >Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                    > >> Because of these problems I hadn't send out a test message yet, because
                    > >> no one would have gotten it. (Just like they won't get this message...)
                    > >
                    > >I got it... Am I the only one to see this?
                    >
                    > I saw later that about 25 of the 63 members did get
                    > it namely those who don't have a Yahoo ID (haven't
                    > registered as a member of Yahoo) (17) and those
                    > who have a Yahoo ID but who prefer a daily digest
                    > instead of individual emails (8).

                    I already had a Yahoo ID and don't receive digests but I also got the
                    email...

                    I'm pleased the list is still around as its always seemed an interesting
                    mix of people to me :).

                    Richard
                  • Martin McCormick
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                      It seems to be working fine here.

                      Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
                      .-- -... ..... .- --. --..
                    • Declan Moriarty
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2006
                        > BTW. In the future it may be beneficial to have a
                        > Yahoo ID so you can access the extra services for
                        > this mailing list:
                        >
                        > - access the archive
                        > - chat
                        > - files
                        > - photos
                        > - links
                        > - add and acces databases
                        > - polls
                        > - access the member database
                        > - calendar
                        > - change your settings
                        >
                        > Some of these services can be quite useful like
                        > the files section where people can put things
                        > that they want others to look at. (Attachments
                        > are not allowed at the moment.)

                        Have you a url for this membership to direct those who loathe and
                        detest such bloated monolithic structures as yahoo, compuserve, &
                        aol to allow us to do what you suggest?
                        --

                        With best Regards,

                        Declan Moriarty.
                      • Jaap van Ganswijk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                          At 2006-02-07 14:26, Richard Purdie wrote:
                          >On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:07 +0100, Jaap van Ganswijk wrote:
                          >> At 2006-02-06 20:02, Declan Moriarty wrote:
                          >> >Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                          >> >
                          >> >I got it... Am I the only one to see this?
                          >>
                          >> I saw later that about 25 of the 63 members did get
                          >> it namely those who don't have a Yahoo ID (haven't
                          >> registered as a member of Yahoo) (17) and those
                          >> who have a Yahoo ID but who prefer a daily digest
                          >> instead of individual emails (8).
                          >
                          >I already had a Yahoo ID and don't receive digests but I also got the
                          >email...

                          Strange. I can't explain that. Well it's not very
                          relevant. People with a Yahoo ID can quite easily
                          read the message in the archive.

                          I'm more concerned about the fact that the invitation
                          message from Yahoo was in HTML-only and deemed spam
                          by the spam-filter I'm using (Spampal), so I fear that
                          a lot of the subscribers haven't seen the invitation.
                          Only 60 people out of 500 seems too few. Of course I
                          have alerted Yahoo to this problem.

                          Greetings,
                          Jaap
                        • Jaap van Ganswijk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                            At 2006-02-08 00:42, Declan Moriarty wrote:
                            >Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                            >> BTW. In the future it may be beneficial to have a
                            >> Yahoo ID so you can access the extra services for
                            >> this mailing list:
                            >>
                            >> - access the archive
                            >> - chat
                            >> - files
                            >> - photos
                            >> - links
                            >> - add and acces databases
                            >> - polls
                            >> - access the member database
                            >> - calendar
                            >> - change your settings
                            >>
                            >> Some of these services can be quite useful like
                            >> the files section where people can put things
                            >> that they want others to look at. (Attachments
                            >> are not allowed at the moment.)
                            >
                            >Have you a url for this membership to direct those who loathe and
                            >detest such bloated monolithic structures as yahoo, compuserve, &
                            >aol to allow us to do what you suggest?

                            See at the bottom of each message:

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            If you want I can invite you to register.

                            You can't access some of the services above
                            without registering because Yahoo really needs
                            to know who you are before it can allow you to
                            change certain things on their servers.

                            Greetings,
                            Jaap
                          • Robert Smith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                              Joe --

                              I've been w/ ChipDir for several years and a YaHoo user almost as long.
                              I administrate a few groups there.

                              Now, see inline below -->

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 8, 2006
                                I've spend the last 20 minuates trying to sign-up with Yahoo. It keeps
                                rejecting my birthdate, password, answer to their secret question and more.
                                I'm about ready to forget it.

                                Also what is this all about? "We require your consent for the
                                collection, use, and disclosure of this information." I DO NOT want my
                                personal information sold or shared or given out. If that's what Yahoo
                                requires then forget it!

                                I just found this "In addition, certain Yahoo! associated companies such
                                as Inktomi, Overture, and Altavista have their own privacy statements which
                                can be viewed by clicking on the links." In other words Yahoo automaticly
                                shares my information with these companies.
                                Forget it! I'm not signing up if it means that my personal information
                                gets shared with everybody that gives Yahoo a buck!

                                Thanks Anyway,
                                Joe Rigdon

                                At 08:22 PM 2/8/06 +0100, you wrote:
                                >At 2006-02-08 00:42, Declan Moriarty wrote:
                                >>Recently, Somebody Somewhere wrote these words
                                >>> BTW. In the future it may be beneficial to have a
                                >>> Yahoo ID so you can access the extra services for
                                >>> this mailing list:
                                >>>
                                >>> - access the archive
                                >>> - chat
                                >>> - files
                                >>> - photos
                                >>> - links
                                >>> - add and acces databases
                                >>> - polls
                                >>> - access the member database
                                >>> - calendar
                                >>> - change your settings
                                >>>
                                >>> Some of these services can be quite useful like
                                >>> the files section where people can put things
                                >>> that they want others to look at. (Attachments
                                >>> are not allowed at the moment.)
                                >>
                                >>Have you a url for this membership to direct those who loathe and
                                >>detest such bloated monolithic structures as yahoo, compuserve, &
                                >>aol to allow us to do what you suggest?
                                >
                                >See at the bottom of each message:
                                >
                                >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >>

                                >If you want I can invite you to register.
                                >
                                >You can't access some of the services above
                                >without registering because Yahoo really needs
                                >to know who you are before it can allow you to
                                >change certain things on their servers.
                                >
                                >Greetings,
                                >Jaap
                                >

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Jaap van Ganswijk
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 9, 2006
                                  Hi Joe,

                                  At 2006-02-08 16:30, Joe R. wrote:
                                  >I've spend the last 20 minuates trying to sign-up with Yahoo. It keeps
                                  >rejecting my birthdate, password, answer to their secret question and more.
                                  >I'm about ready to forget it.

                                  I can't help with that. You will have to get
                                  help from Yahoo.

                                  >Also what is this all about? "We require your consent for the
                                  >collection, use, and disclosure of this information."

                                  I can't find that in either:
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  http://privacy.yahoo.com/

                                  Can you let us know where you read that.

                                  From the latter document:

                                  >Information Sharing and Disclosure
                                  > * Yahoo! does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
                                  > * We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Yahoo! under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Yahoo! communicate with you about offers from Yahoo! and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
                                  Sounds quite correct. An affiliated company
                                  can for example be a company that does their
                                  administration or book keeping, I assume.

                                  >I DO NOT want my personal information sold or
                                  >shared or given out. If that's what Yahoo
                                  >requires then forget it!

                                  It doesn't say that.

                                  Serious companies don't do that anyway and
                                  other companies can't use the data for spamming
                                  anyway, because serious companies don't spam.

                                  >I just found this "In addition, certain Yahoo! associated companies such
                                  >as Inktomi, Overture, and Altavista have their own privacy statements which
                                  >can be viewed by clicking on the links."

                                  Can you tell us where you found that?

                                  >In other words Yahoo automaticly
                                  >shares my information with these companies.

                                  It doesn't say that in the above sentence. ;-)

                                  >Forget it! I'm not signing up if it means that my personal information
                                  >gets shared with everybody that gives Yahoo a buck!

                                  It's your choice, but I have been a member for many
                                  years now and never noticed them being indiscrete
                                  with my data.

                                  Greetings,
                                  Jaap