poor memory performance

  • Steffen Maisch
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have a Computer with a SIS648 / SIS693 chipset on an Asus board. Actually,
      it's quite old, but I would still like to use it, because it has 1.5GB of
      RAM and a lot of hardware installed. The processor is a pentium IV with
      2533MHz.
      But I have a big problem with memory performance, which is so severe, that I
      cannot use this computer for serious tasks, if I cannot fix this:

      I have 2243 MB/s memory read performance (which is not good, but still
      acceptable),
      but 451 MB/s memory write perfomance, which is absolutely unacceptable.

      I also searced Google for this particular chipset and memory problems, but
      nothing found. There are some reports of good!!! memory performance.

      Or is the problem the memory itself? There are three Samsung DDR333 512MB
      modules installed; but of course, I also tried, what happens with only one
      of them: It's the same.

      I have no idea, what could make writing so much slower than reading. Does
      anyone know, what could be the problem?
      The BIOS settings are according to the EEPROMs on the DIMMs, so should be
      OK. The bus clock is 133.3MHz, and in fixed ralation to the processor clock
      of 2533MHz (*19). I even checked the bus clock with a frequency counter. The
      memory clock is 167.3 MHz. This should also be OK for a DDR333.

      Thank you very much!

      Author: Steffen Maisch
      INET: steffen.maisch@...

      Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com
    • Alexandre Souza
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        A bit offtopic, but here we go

        > I have 2243 MB/s memory read performance (which is not good, but still
        > acceptable),
        > but 451 MB/s memory write perfomance, which is absolutely unacceptable.

        Wow! :oO

        > Or is the problem the memory itself? There are three Samsung DDR333 512MB
        > modules installed; but of course, I also tried, what happens with only one
        > of them: It's the same.

        As dumb as it can be: Try to REDUCE the amount of memory. Test the machine
        with one, two and three DIMM installed. After, test each DIMM separately. You
        may have a defective memory or a problem in the amount of memory you are
        using.

        Greetz,
        Alexandre Souza

        Author: Alexandre Souza
        INET: alexandre-listas@...

        Fat City Hosting, San Diego, California -- http://www.fatcity.com
      • Declan Moriarty
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          > I have a Computer with a SIS648 / SIS693 chipset on an Asus board.
          > Actually, it's quite old, but I would still like to use it, because it
          > has 1.5GB of RAM and a lot of hardware installed. The processor is a
          > pentium IV with 2533MHz. But I have a big problem with memory
          > performance, which is so severe, that I cannot use this computer for
          > serious tasks, if I cannot fix this:
          >
          > I have 2243 MB/s memory read performance (which is not good, but still
          > acceptable), but 451 MB/s memory write perfomance, which is absolutely
          > unacceptable.
          >
          > I have no idea, what could make writing so much slower than reading.
          > Does anyone know, what could be the problem? The BIOS settings are
          > according to the EEPROMs on the DIMMs, so should be OK. The bus clock
          > is 133.3MHz, and in fixed ralation to the processor clock of 2533MHz
          > (*19). I even checked the bus clock with a frequency counter. The
          > memory clock is 167.3 MHz. This should also be OK for a DDR333.

          That chipset was always well spoken of.

          Memory cycles these days are something like 6-1-1-1, i.e. The first
          cycle should be the long one. Whatever this is, note it and then do the
          following:

          1. Buy a can of freezer. Freeze memory, Northbridge, &
          Southbridge individually & retest after each freeze.
          2. Increase timings to the slowest option in the Bios.
          3. Slow that cpu right down. If the memory is only doing 133 or
          167 Mhz, Your cpu will hardly profit from speeds over 1 Ghz. Time to
          speed it up later.

          A multiple of 19 is awkward. When the accesses are too fast for the
          memory, there is a fallback timing arrangement which slows things
          considerably. Evidently you can read but not write at current speeds.

          --

          With best Regards,

          Declan Moriarty.
          Author: Declan Moriarty