Ordinary PC in outdoor use

  • ali marjovi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      Dear All
      I want to use a PC in outdoor.
      How can a PC tolerate environment temperature range
      of -10 to 50 centigrade degrees?
      What problems will happen in outdoor usage of PC for
      example humidity,....
      Is it necessecary to put the PC in a sealed box? if
      so how thermal exchange can be done with a sealed
      box? Do I need a large size heat sink? Or a special
      kind of power supply?
      It's clear that I'm trying to avoid expensive
      solutions available in Industrial PC market.
      Thanks in advance
      Author: ali marjovi
      INET: marjovi@...

    • Sala Massimo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi

        We use pc with Windows in farms.

        In winter, the temperature goes low 0 Centrigrade, and the pc didn't boot
        because of harddisk failure.

        We solved the problem using resistors to warm the hard-disk.

        Best regards, Massimo
        Italy

        Author: Sala Massimo
        INET: saltlake@...

      • Matthias Weingart
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:39:19AM -0800, ali marjovi wrote:
          > I want to use a PC in outdoor.
          > How can a PC tolerate environment temperature range
          > of -10 to 50 centigrade degrees?

          maybe, just a question of cooling. Use a CPU that needs not so much cooling,
          a use a bigger cooler. Lower temperatures are not a problem (except for
          floppies, maybe the harddisc will shutdown too), you just need to add some
          heaters or isolation.

          > What problems will happen in outdoor usage of PC for
          > example humidity,....
          > Is it necessecary to put the PC in a sealed box? if
          > so how thermal exchange can be done with a sealed
          > box?

          The case should be tight but not completely sealed. Let
          a hole at the lower - rain protected side - of the case.
          (you can use special vents for the hole e.g. from GoreTech)

          We have some Pentium 100 running outdoor; no problem.

          Matthias
          Author: Matthias Weingart
          INET: matthias@...

        • Declan Moriarty
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
            On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:39:19AM -0800, ali marjovi enlightened us thusly
            > Dear All
            > I want to use a PC in outdoor.
            > How can a PC tolerate environment temperature range
            > of -10 to 50 centigrade degrees?
            > What problems will happen in outdoor usage of PC for
            > example humidity,....
            > Is it necessecary to put the PC in a sealed box? if
            > so how thermal exchange can be done with a sealed
            > box? Do I need a large size heat sink? Or a special
            > kind of power supply?
            > It's clear that I'm trying to avoid expensive
            > solutions available in Industrial PC market.
            > Thanks in advance

            I was involved on a control system for sueage treatment plants
            (No jokes about the field work, thank you). They had cold, rain, & acid
            air to cope with and used a Stainless Steel case for the(Primitive) PC.

            It had enough circulating air to keep things cool without taking in acid
            air. They didn't come back. It might not work with a modern pc in the
            full sunlight. 50 C is quite ward, you know.

            With best Regards,

            Declan Moriarty.
            Author: Declan Moriarty
            INET: tech.genius@...