TDA 4601/EGA Monitor

  • Declan Moriarty
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
      I have a monitor with one of these chips in it. I need some better
      information than I have on it, but for once, the chip is not faulty.

      It'sa a psu chip; Having the semiconductor stock remains of an obsolete tv wholesaler, I had a tda 4601 in stock!!

      Everything looks good - it has a few volts on it in various places and
      is trying to do something, but I need a little data to pin down the
      fault outside.

      Either that, or I need a vga color monitor. This is for a 1984
      gilloutine for the print industry

      --

      With best Regards,

      Declan Moriarty.
      Author: Declan Moriarty
      INET: tech.genius@...

    • Bobby Walker
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
        The 4601 was made SGS Thompson then by Infineon
        Technology www.infineon.com it was a "TDA 4601 -
        CONTROL ICS FOR SWITCHED-MODE POWER SUPPLIES" The
        datasheet can be found at
        http://www.adelaida.ro/componente/TDA4601.pdf
        Bobby Walker
        www.offlinecd.com

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        Author: Bobby Walker
        INET: k5ubm@...

      • Declan Moriarty
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
          Thank you kindly Bobby. How did you find that?

          On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:19:37AM -0800, Bobby Walker enlightened us thusly
          > The 4601 was made SGS Thompson then by Infineon
          > Technology www.infineon.com it was a "TDA 4601 -
          > CONTROL ICS FOR SWITCHED-MODE POWER SUPPLIES" The
          > datasheet can be found at
          > http://www.adelaida.ro/componente/TDA4601.pdf
          > Bobby Walker
          > www.offlinecd.com
          >
          > --- Declan Moriarty <tech.genius@...> wrote:
          > > I have a monitor with one of these chips in it. I
          > > need some better
          > > information than I have on it, but for once, the
          > > chip is not faulty.
          > >

          > > It'sa a psu chip; Having the semiconductor stock
          > > remains of an obsolete tv wholesaler, I had a tda
          > > 4601 in stock!!
          > >
          > > Everything looks good - it has a few volts on it in
          > > various places and
          > > is trying to do something, but I need a little data
          > > to pin down the
          > > fault outside.
          > >
          > > Either that, or I need a vga color monitor. This is
          > > for a 1984
          > > gilloutine for the print industry
          > >

          > > --
          > >
          > > With best Regards,
          > >

          > > Declan Moriarty.
          > > --
          > > Author: Declan Moriarty
          > > INET: tech.genius@...
          > >
          > > Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
          > > http://www.fatcity.com
          > > hosting services

          > > from). You may
          > > (like subscribing).

          > --
          > Author: Bobby Walker
          > INET: k5ubm@...

          With best Regards,

          Declan Moriarty.
          Author: Declan Moriarty
          INET: tech.genius@...

        • Declan Moriarty
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
            On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:19:37AM -0800, Bobby Walker enlightened us thusly
            > The 4601 was made SGS Thompson then by Infineon
            > Technology www.infineon.com it was a "TDA 4601 -
            > CONTROL ICS FOR SWITCHED-MODE POWER SUPPLIES" The
            > datasheet can be found at
            > http://www.adelaida.ro/componente/TDA4601.pdf
            > Bobby Walker
            > www.offlinecd.com
            >
            > --- Declan Moriarty <tech.genius@...> wrote:
            > > I have a monitor with one of these chips in it. I
            > > need some better
            > > information than I have on it, but for once, the
            > > chip is not faulty.
            > >
            > > It'sa a psu chip; Having the semiconductor stock
            > > remains of an obsolete tv wholesaler, I had a tda
            > > 4601 in stock!!
            > >
            > > Everything looks good - it has a few volts on it in
            > > various places and
            > > is trying to do something, but I need a little data
            > > to pin down the
            > > fault outside.
            > >
            > > Either that, or I need a vga color monitor. This is
            > > for a 1984
            > > gilloutine for the print industry

            Remember this TDA 4601.

            It's one where you really need the datasheet. It seems it needs more
            than 12V on pin 9 before in unlocks itself and gives out it's 4V
            reference voltage on pin 1 which is actually proof the thing is running.
            What a bitch of a design to find in a strange circuit!

            Now the monitor had an application straight out of the datasheet, but
            for some stupid reason there was a zener effect ar 9V, so it required
            more input current. I couldn't trace it outside the (new)chip, so it
            got more input current :-D.
            Author: Declan Moriarty
            INET: tech.genius@...

          • Miguel Venditto
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2003
              Hello Declan, all this power supply with tda4601 work in burst mode,
              need some feedback from the pulse transformer to pin 9 through a diode,
              after start. Check electrolitic capacitor conected to pin 9, the voltage at
              this pin needed is +13,5v or more. Disconect all the loads in the secondary
              of the pulse transformer, and load only the +B to the flyback with 550 ohms
              aprox. 25 watts. If there is some short on secondary the voltage on pin 9 is
              aprox.
              9volts. Also check resistor of high value connected from primary +B to pines
              4 and 5. If the AC power is 220vca there are some elements that arenĀ“t
              necessary (this are only needed for 110vca).
              I have a diagram with this ic, if you need, I can scan and send by email.

              mvenditto@...

              Author: Miguel Venditto
              INET: mvenditto@...

            • Declan Moriarty
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2003
                On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:39:20PM -0800, Miguel Venditto enlightened us
                thusly
                > Hello Declan, all this power supply with tda4601 work in burst mode,
                > need some feedback from the pulse transformer to pin 9 through a
                > diode, after start. Check electrolitic capacitor conected to pin 9,
                > the voltage at this pin needed is +13,5v or more. Disconect all the
                > loads in the secondary of the pulse transformer, and load only the +B
                > to the flyback with 550 ohms aprox. 25 watts. If there is some short
                > on secondary the voltage on pin 9 is aprox. 9volts. Also check
                > resistor of high value connected from primary +B to pines 4 and 5. If
                > the AC power is 220vca there are some elements that aren?t necessary
                > (this are only needed for 110vca). I have a diagram with this ic, if
                > you need, I can scan and send by email.

                Thanks Miguel, but I have tha datasheet. I tried most of what you said
                before I wrote the last mail. There's no point in unhooking the supplies
                as the thing was being held off (=no 4V on pin 1). This is caused by a
                low voltage on pin 9; So the output was never fired. There is a
                circuit in the datasheet. The IC is eating a little extra current. I
                have it working now I think.

                --

                With best Regards,

                Declan Moriarty.
                Author: Declan Moriarty
                INET: tech.genius@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
                  The old stuff I found on my ECI CD and then did a
                  google search on 4601.
                  Bobby

                  Author: Bobby Walker
                  INET: k5ubm@...