Re: Finding Semiconductors

  • Syd Levine (AnaLog)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      A couple of years back, I used to look for chips using PartMiner, but I
      think they went to paid subscription. In any event, I cannot get their
      webpage up.

      I tried the scarce chip search thing at ChipDir, but it returns an error
      saying my browser is not showing a proper referral page.

      Where can I look for scarce chips these days? The kind of thing that pops
      up different sellers and even prices?

      Thanks in advance.

      Syd H. Levine
      AnaLog Services, Inc.
      Phone: 270-276-5671
      Telefax: 270-276-5588
      E-mail: analog@...

      Author: Syd Levine \(AnaLog\)
      INET: AnaLog@...

    • TQuiroz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        Off the bat, you can just punch the part number on Google and hope some links may lead you to a dealer. You can also search for " hard to find chips", "obsolete components", "military electronics", etc.
        Check out EBN at www.ebnonline.com, which is a trade magazine specialized on electronic procurement.

        Hope this helps.
        Tony
      • Jaap van Ganswijk
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          At 2003-02-01 16:03 -0800, Syd Levine \(AnaLog\) wrote:
          >A couple of years back, I used to look for chips using PartMiner, but I
          >think they went to paid subscription. In any event, I cannot get their
          >webpage up.

          Partminer is the chip broker part of their business and
          Freetradezone is their datasheet service (CapXpert
          bought or licensed from IHS). You have to take a
          paid-for subscription to have access to datasheets of
          obsolete chips. Their brokerage services are paid for
          out of their profit of course.

          http://www.freetradezone.com/
          http://www.partminer.com/ - this links to the other site

          In order to use their datasheet database you have to
          register.

          Partminer/Freetradezone has sponsored my Chipdir very
          generously for several years. In fact, I think my site
          inspired them to start something similar as the Chipdir.
          I had breakfast with the CEO/owner of Partminer in
          autumn 1998 in Amsterdam to discuss their advertising
          deal and he was very pleased with all the new potential
          customers he was getting through the Chipdir. That was
          when Partminer was still quite small.

          >I tried the scarce chip search thing at ChipDir, but it returns an error
          >saying my browser is not showing a proper referral page.

          I have just sent you a private message about this,
          but it's not a secret: We hire that service from
          ICsource and they require that all requests are
          send from a form on one of my sites. At the moment
          that is set to be xs4all.nl. They want to make
          sure that non-payers don't use the service.

          Your problem is probably that you're behind a
          firewall that filters out the referral page.

          >Where can I look for scarce chips these days?
          >The kind of thing that pops up different sellers
          >and even prices?

          If you have money to spare you can take a paid-for
          subscription from NetCOMPONENTS (another advertiser
          in the Chipdir). They also allow OEM's as members,
          but it's quite expensive when you're a small OEM.
          (It's about $45 per month, if I remember correctly.)

          Another problem is that real brokers tend to boycot
          services like these that cater directly to OEM's,
          so they don't submit their stock to them. Via
          Netcomponents you are therefore more likely to find
          distributor (so non-obsolete) stock than via a real
          broker.

          As regards pricing: Most stocks aren't priced. It's
          a question of negociations between your broker and
          the broker of the OEM with the left-over stock.

          If you can't solve your referral page problem you
          can also send your requests directly to my partners
          at midcom@.... I have worked with them many
          years already and have never had a complaint about
          them yet. Please also consider that they shield you
          from trouble with other brokers. Be careful when
          doing direct business with Asian brokers for example.

          Good brokers are usually a member of the ERAI
          (Electronic Resellers Association International)
          which keeps track of brokers that haven't fulfilled
          their obligations. On ICsource brokers can also
          comment on each other.

          Thrifty Components who also responded to your emails,
          is also an ERAI member, see:
          http://www.thriftycomp.com/ (left bottom corner)

          Greetings,
          Jaap

          -- Chip Directory
          -- http://www.chipdir.biz/
          -- http://www.chipdir.info/
          -- http://www.chipdir.net/
          -- http://www.chipdir.nl/
          -- http://www.chipdir.org/
          -- And about 30 other mirror sites world-wide.
          -- in the body 'subscribe chipdir-L'. About 500 experts are
          -- willing to think with you about electronics problems etc.

          Author: Jaap van Ganswijk
          INET: ganswijk@...