Re: {optdg} Digest for optdg@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2010
      Especially since we are miles closer to the latter scenario than we are to the former, especially in terms of the thought police ALREADY telling us where we can and can't build our bathrooms and bedrooms using environmental (planning) excuses which leave millions homeless.  Even regulatory population control, only one of many overpopulation proposals, is vastly less totalitarian than the current homebuilder control.
      -Al

      Topic: critics of OPT
        "Christopher Padley" <christopher.padley1@...> Jun 11 02:48PM +0100 ^

        I attended the Gene Meme debate at St. Pancras last night. It was a good discussion with good speakers, but I was struck by the lack of disagreement in what I thought was going to be a two sided debate. Only Fred Pearce, a long-standing critic of OPT, even appeared to be disagreeing, and even he seemed to have no specific point of disagreement, just a sort of vague undefined opposition. He said things like "I just don't think population is "the" issue, consumption is" (despite the point being made already that there is no reason for any issue to be "the" issue, and surely society must face many issues at any one time?) The same could be said about the only speaker from the floor in support of Fred.

        Now, puzzling over this and listening hard, I concluded that the only thing driving Fred Pearce's opposition is an exaggerated fear that concern over population must lead to illiberal, totalitarianism, (Cue, yet another reference to Chinese one child policy). Why, I wonder, is the same fear not engendered by Fred's preferred "the" issue, that of over-consumption? If recognition of a population problem must end with jack-booted thought police bursting into our bedrooms to drag us off to the sterilisation clinic for not using a condom, why should not concern at over-consumption not end with the same thought police bursting into our bathrooms to drag us off to the treadmills (where we could be usefully employed generating renewable energy) for filling the bath with too much hot water?

        Chris

      Refinance Now 4.0% FIXED!
      $160,000 Mortgage for $633/mo. Free. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
      Mortgage.LendGo.com