Re: Response to Greenpeace on population/frosty wooldridge

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2012
      You are way overestimating the political difficulty here. We need do
      nothing like such authoritarian actions as proposed to reverse population
      growth as several nations like Japan and Italy have already done it! All
      we need to do is transfer public spending from parental subsidies like
      baby bonuses and public schools to paid contraception. It's a simple
      funds transfer and requires neither new authoritarian regulations nor
      secret med labs. And every piece of the program already has a coalition
      built around it, it's just that only we combine the contraception funding
      side (with the feminists) with the cut parental subsidies side, with the
      antitax lobby.
      Paid contraception needs to receive funding transfers from EVERY
      other government project as well, including immigration guards and
      deportation jet charters; as paid contraception reduces far more people
      per dollar spent.
      What is paid contraception??????? THIS!!!!!
      http://www.projectprevention.org/

      Such a strategy also gives us much needed intermediate victories which
      are so important for building political momentum, because one penny of
      tax money transferred from a baby bonus or parental subsidy to
      contraception is a victory for us, where demanding a 2 child policy by
      regulation will have us butting our heads without an inch of progress for
      a long time.

      My biggest beef with Greenpeace is that they are so hard on Japan (for
      whaling and dolphin coves), when Japan's fertility rate of 1.3 more than
      compensates for that. They have left "stop at two" in the dust!!!!! and
      so has Russia, Italy, Germany, and more. Such nations (withe TFRs under
      1.5) have earned a license to whale.
      -Alan Ditmore
      http://www.change.org/members/218464

      1e. Re: {Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} Re: [PublicPopForum] Response to Green
      Posted by: "Gregary Boyles" greg@...
      Date: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:49 pm ((PST))

      "I want to make it clear that I do not share the sentiments from Gregary
      Boyles below."
      No surprises there! Very few do.

      Few are prepared to contemplate responding to the daunting likely future
      reality for our civilisation with confronting actions today that may have
      greater likelihood of averting that likely future reality.

      Similarly people are rarely willing to contemplate situations where they
      must leave people to die until they are confronted with a battle triage
      situation and have no choice.

      Humans are generally reactionary and hence our species and civilisation
      has
      tended to lurch from one catastrophe to the next and has so far gotten
      through largely on luck. The coming great human die off will be no
      different
      except that this time we may not be so lucky.

      Call me a pessimist, but I am certainly not particularly confident that
      "I
      can have as many children as I want" can be turned into "I must limit the
      number of offspring I produce according to the needs of society" on a
      wide
      enough scale before collapse of our civilisation is upon us, regardless
      of
      democracy or dictatorship.

      In any situation in life and at any scale, the more people there are the
      more difficult it often is is to obtain a consensus and cooperation. So
      the
      expected 8-10 billion does not bode well for our prospects of finding
      global
      agreement to voluntarily limiting our fecundity. Apart from the
      increasing
      logistical difficulty of providing ongoing supplies of contraceptives and
      family planning to ever more reproductive adults in scenario of break
      down
      of law and order etc.

      Perhaps not the current generations, who are still tenaciously hanging on
      precarious western notions of human rights and freedom of choice, but
      future
      generations will be increasingly be accepting of such confronting
      concepts
      such as biological fertility control and strict reproductive regulation
      as
      they are confronted with mother nature's far more unpleasant methods of
      population control.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
        The best population strategy is the same everywhere, in the first world,
        the third world and especially our home towns. It is to transfer tax and
        charitable funds from effective baby bonuses, including prenatal,
        maternity and early childcare, to paid contraception. the objective is
        equally true of foregn aid budgets and local council budgets and private
        charity budgets, they are all the same and need to be reformed in EXACTLY
        the same way. And the LOCAL COUNCIL BUDGETS are the easiest place to
        start by far.
        -Alan

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
          I think that 1.5 is a far more "magical" number than 2. It is a number
          that several nations have achieved, but not many. And many of the
          nations that have achieved 1.5 don't like it. We need to make clear that
          we do like it! The number 2 has no practical importance, it's just an
          academic simplification.
          -Alan
          http://www.change.org/members/218464

          PS. Let's trim our posts a bit, there's scores of pages of repeating
          text coming through. So much that I am having trouble finding the new
          stuff.

          1a. Re: {Disarmed} Re: [PublicPopForum] Response to Greenpeace/frosty wo
          Posted by: "John Taves" john.taves@... johntaves1
          Date: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 am ((PST))

          On the one hand, yes, it is very simple. 2 is certainly the magic number,
          and that must be known by everyone. On the other hand, I have no
          expectation that simple logic will convince any significant number of
          people.

          The way people were shifted from believing that it was OK to judge people
          by the color of their skin, to believing that it was wrong to do that was
          accomplished by many years of news events that effectively stated by
          authority figures that it was wrong. Slowly those that continue to
          believe
          it is OK to be a racist shut up. Young people no longer are taught racism
          and eventually the old jackasses die off leaving a society that
          understands
          racism is wrong. The same sort of process must happen with the morality
          of
          how many children you can have.

          Unfortunately there are no victims ready to move to the front of the bus
          create news events, so I have concluded that mass advertising is the only
          way to get that message out there.

          Your wall street/growth comments are not an issue. Nobody is choosing to
          have more or less children because economists, governments, and wall
          street
          are concerned with economic growth.

          With respect to this, "Sorry ? I do not have any solutions", I assume you
          are saying that you do not know of anyone that you can refer me to. I
          appreciate the thoughts. Thank you.

          jt

          On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Robert Jameson <
          robert@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > **
          > What you are saying John (Taves) is that everyone should know their two
          > times tables. Because if they knew that two times 7 billion equals 14
          > billion ? and 14 billion times two .... The problem is they already
          know.

          On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:50:06 -0500 aditmore@... writes:
> [...]
          > finding global
          > agreement to voluntarily limiting our fecundity. Apart from the
          > increasing
          > logistical difficulty of providing ongoing supplies of
          > contraceptives and
          > family planning to ever more reproductive adults in scenario of
          > break down
          > of law and order etc.
          >

          > Perhaps not the current generations, who are still tenaciously
          > hanging on to
          > precarious western notions of human rights and freedom of choice,
          > but future
          > generations will be increasingly be accepting of such confronting
          > concepts
          > such as biological fertility control and strict reproductive
          > regulation as
          > they are confronted with mother nature's far more unpleasant methods

          60-Year-Old Mom Looks 27
          Mom Reveals Free Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f1719ac303e31d7am08vuc
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
            Firstly, the societal knowledge does exist outside of China, critically, it exists in certain US communities like Santa Cruz CA and Cambridge MA, and these towns have local governments that can transfer funds from prenatal and childcare to paid contraception.  Secondly, the "societal knowledge, will follow the funding.  Once people see the funds move from parental subsidies to paid contraception, or recieve cash to use contraception, they will ask why.  And when we anwer them, they will have the societal knowledge.
            -Alan

            On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:26:54 -0800 John Taves <john.taves@...> writes:
            This is the conventional wisdom of experts and it overlooks a few facts. Demographers do a fine job of measuring the fertility rates. That science is relatively OK. It is the conclusions we draw from that information that is dreadful.

            There is no mechanism that ensures the birth rate will stay below 2. Demographers have discovered that lower birth rates correlate to wealth, women's rights, education, and of course access to birth control. The conclusion that these factors will bring the birth rate down is fine. The conclusion that it will come down to below 2 is rubbish, and the conclusion that it will stay below 2 is double rubbish, and that it will stay "low" is also rubbish. There is nothing in the correlation that has anything to do with 2. Experts know 2 is the magic number, so they compare the fertility rate to 2 and when they see it is below 2, they proclaim success. There is a difference between a correlation to "below 2" and a correlation to "lower, that happens to be below 2 in some places". Furthermore, a correlation is not a mechanism, and if scientists had found a mechanism, instead of just proposing possible mechanisms, the correlation would be forgotten. The only possible mechanism that could exist that would ensure we do not over breed, is the societal knowledge that we must not over breed. That societal knowledge is non-existent, except in China.

            Here is another way to say roughly the same thing. If a belief system (for example the belief that god wants you to have a lot of children) produces an average of more than two children and the beliefs are passed along to an average of at least two children, people with that belief system will overpopulate the planet. Demographers have not proven that this cannot exist. It isn't clear how you could prove that it cannot exist, especially when we know that many different religions do encourage lots of children. Demographers must find these groups and measure their growth. Demographers simply do not know this. If they did, they would recognize that their current techniques for measuring birth rates filters out information regarding beliefs that are passed from one generation to the next. This means that they are incapable of discovering a very possible correlation that goes against the lower birth rates. Of course there's no point in worrying about that correlation when we know the mechanism. The only antidote for the belief that you must have a lot of children, is the societal knowledge that it is wrong, morally wrong, to have that belief.

            The moral logic is pretty damn simple. If my descendants average more than 2 two they will overpopulate the planet, therefore it is morally wrong for my descendants to average more than two. Many smart people think that if they have more than 2, someone else that has less than 2 will offset their extras. This is not true. It must be your descendants that have fewer than 2 to offset your extras above 2.

            Imagine a world where there was a constant limit to the number of people that could be provided for. If you refuse to do this simple math example, read about the Island of Tikopea in Jared Diamond's book "collapse..." to see a real world where there was a constant limit. If the population is at that limit, and the people average three children, then 1 in 3 children will die. The over breeding does not have to kill adults. It must kill children. (See http://stopattwo.org/explain.aspx). Over breeding kills children. If you recognize this, you'll recognize that averaging more than two children, is much worse than abortion.

            The notion that Japan has solved the population problem and poor African nations that have high birth rates are the only ones that need to change is a common misconception. Rich countries have a moral obligation to provide birth control. If a group cannot afford birth control, and don't know they must not average more than two, and don't know that over breeding kills children, we rich people must correct this. There are many, in the USA for example, that are against providing family planing aid because that money might go towards abortions. These people, and basically everyone else, are simply ignorant of the reality of what I call the StopAtTwo concepts.

            Do I think that everyone simply needs to read http://stopattwo.org/explain.aspx? Hell no! It will take societal or social pressure to get someone to change their current "I have the right to have as many children as I want" beliefs regardless of the fact that the logic is irrefutable. It will require unrelenting pressure.

            jt

            On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, <aditmore@...> wrote:
[...]

            ConsumerLifestyles.org
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
              1.5 is a better number than 2 not because it is lower, for example .08 is NOT a better number than 1.5.  1.5 is the best number because it has been achieved in several societies and is therefore possible, and yet it is ambitious enough to avoid letting virtually the entire first world, and white world, off the hook, including the USA and Australia.  It is an unfortunate coincidence that virtually the whole white world is below 2 and virtually the whole nonwhite world is above it, therefore use of the number 2 leaves us vulnerable to accusations of racism.  We need a TFR goal that much of the white world must still strive to achieve, and which thus enables us to continue to challenge white people, and people in our own hometowns.
                      I want to add here that the number is retroactive, meaning that if your 4 grandparents already have 3 (27/8) or more great grandchildren, then you should not have children and should love your plentiful nieces and nephews instead.   Jews and Tutsis of course could trace such retroactivity back past the Holocaust(s), and Indians and Aboriginees to before colonial times if they can.
              -Alan

              On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:53:42 -0800 John Taves <john.taves@...> writes:
              You are confusing different things. I agree that 1.5 is lower than 2 and therefore that 1.5 is a better birth rate to have today given that we are consuming resources, that are essential to providing for our numbers, faster than they renew. In other words, we are deep in overshoot. So is 1.5 more "magical" than 2? Yes, and 1.4 is more "magical" still, and that is a lousy way to interpret what I was saying.

              There are two different concepts that society must teach us. The first is that we do not have the right to have as many babies as we please. That concept is taught and understood with the magic number 2. Not 1.5 or 2.1. It takes 2 to make a baby, thus each parent counts 1/2 of that child to replace their number. If we average more than 2, then children must die. The number of children that must die is the average above 2, minus 2. In other words, if we average 3 children, then an average of 1 child will die. Don't be confused by the fact that the limit of what can be provided for rises and falls, and thus makes it difficult over any limited time span to see that death rate. The fact remains that the "base" death rate of children must be the average above 2 minus 2. If we average 5 children, then 3 of 5 children must die.

              The second concept is that we are consuming resources, that are essential to providing for our numbers, faster than they renew. If we do not burn oil, we cannot feed 7 billion. This means that we must average fewer than 2 until we are no longer consuming resources, that are essential to providing for our numbers, faster than they renew. It is here that 1.5 becomes a better number than 2. It is a waste of breath to discuss this second concept without knowing the first. Society, or the masses, or the majority, simply do not know the first concept.

              jt

              On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM, <aditmore@...> wrote:
              I think that 1.5 is a far more "magical" number than 2.  It is a number
              that several nations have achieved, but not many.  And many of the
              nations that have achieved 1.5 don't like it.  We need to make clear that
              we do like it!  The number 2 has no practical importance, it's just an
              academic simplification.
              -Alan
              http://www.change.org/members/218464

              PS.  Let's trim our posts a bit, there's scores of pages of repeating
              text coming through.  So much that I am having trouble finding the new
              stuff.

              John Taves
              425 444 2368
              StopAtTwo

              53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
              consumerproducts.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                Actually, I'm not at all worried about the age structure and the only
                reason I picked 1.5 over 0.001 is that we can prove that a society can
                achive 1.5 because several nations already have. Where only gay
                communities have gotten under 0.5, which is why overpopulation activists
                need to put a very high priority on gay rights, higher than on women't
                rights.
                -Alan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2012
                  I fully understand and agree with #2 below, but since regulating fertility is politically impossible, I don't bother advocating for it.  But my main pint is that there is a gap a mile wide between free contraception and forced contraception, and that is paid contraception.  And THAT is where there is real political potential partly because it already exists, right here:
                  And with paid contraception, a government, even a TOWN government, can achieve any fertility rate it is willing to pay for, without force, in a democracy.  All it takes is a big enough contraception budget supported by high enough taxes and eventually it will become IMPOSSIBLE to pay the contraception tax without the contraception subsidy.
                  -Alan

                  On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:38:43 -0800 John Taves <john.taves@...> writes:
                  I hope you are right about this knowledge existing outside of China. I was thinking I would use craigslist to create a help wanted ad. When I do that, I will hit those communities you suggest first, and in general turn to you for advice on that sort of thing.

                  I am not convinced you have really separated two different concepts in your mind, and therefore I am not convinced that you have the same definition as I do regarding the knowledge that is needed. The two concepts that I am trying to illustrate and separate are 1) the fact that our numbers need to go down, and 2) the fact that I do not have the right to have as many children as I want.

                  I agree that there are many that want to fund family planning, and more specifically want to be taxed so that poor will have lower cost contraception and family planning services. I have no problem agreeing that many know that our numbers need to go down, and argue for, and support a birth rate of say 1.5. I agree that you can tell me where these people are concentrated the most in the USA.

                  The societal understanding that I am insisting we must have is #2 above. That doesn't exist in any significant % anywhere in the democratic countries, right? My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that these people will not vote for a political candidate or any laws that restrict the number of children each of us can have. In other words, they don't really agree with #2 above. The conventional wisdom of experts seems to me to be just like what Alan Ditmore said. The thinking is that when women are allowed a free choice, they choose fewer. This concept that if women (and men) have the ability to freely choose how many children they have and the birth rate will be OK, is comically stupid.

                  jt

                  --
                  jt

                  John Taves
                  StopAtTwo

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 27, 2012
                    One important fact about India that I think you are missing; India is currently moving back towards more fertility reduction incentives, this time more gradually and thus with less public reaction.  India really is starting to do it right with the exception of their suppression of ultrasound for gender selective abortions, which are very effective because it is the number of women that determine the reproductive capacity.  If there are fewer women, there will be fewer children even if the number of children per woman remains constant.  This is one area where traditional sexism HELPS overpopulation, significantly.  It is also just the opposite of why cows outnumber bulls in most pastures.
                    -Alan

                    On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:22:13 -0800 John Taves <john.taves@...> writes:
                    All those incentives/disincentives, are fine. The problem is that no politician will be elected if they bring up the concept of limiting births. The more effective and necessary that these incentives are, the more that people will hate them and won't allow the politicians to continue them. This is the lesson that population experts took from the fertility reduction programs that were rejected in India several decades ago. The experts failed to comprehend that the more hated these laws are, the more that they are needed. If Japan put in place a draconian one child policy, where the forced sterilization on someone that had produce one child, how many would complain? Free vasectomies when I don't want more children? Cool! In contrast, American's would throw a fit, and America clearly needs that policy more than Japan does.

                    I don't know about the Aussies or Japanese, I am American and our education on these issues is dreadful. If the Japanese are aware of the following set of facts, better than say Americans, then indeed they are a model to follow. Is that what you are saying with respect to "societal limit on family size"?

                    My take on Americans is that:
                    1) a good percent comprehend that more than two children per increases our numbers and less decreases.
                    2) A huge percent believe something along the following lines:
                    a) we can handle a lot more (e.g. they believe the horseshit that all humans on the planet can fit into Texas)
                    b) we'll figure out new technologies to handle an increasing number of people (but they basically barf on the fact that averaging more than 2 attempts to grow the numbers to infinity),
                    3) Of those that comprehend #1, I will say that very few recognize that the following logic is crap, or rather a large number will say the following "I had 4 children, but others had fewer than 2 so it works out".
                    4) None, and that means that I would be surprised if any significant number of people that receive this email, know that you can't rely on others to have fewer than two to offset your extras. It must be your descendants that offset your extras above two.

                    Regarding #4, it is a different way to say the same thing that I have stated in the previous two emails. Your response indicates that you don't understand the concept. You referenced a demographer for support, but that just confirms my point that demographers are clueless about this too. This concept if vital. Yes, very large families (VLF) might not affect the total fertility today, but the values, beliefs, or desires, that caused that VLF must not be passed along to the next generation. If they are, those values or beliefs will overpopulate the planet. The VLFs must occur totally randomly. There must not be any increased probability of the descendants of a VLF producing another VLF. I cannot emphasize enough that this concept must be comprehended by anyone that wants to be a population expert.

                    When you do comprehend it, two things should be concluded. Everyone must know this concept, and the fact that demographers don't know it means nearly nobody knows it. A vital key to the whole population problem is figuring out how to get demographers to recognize this concept. Right now they are hampering efforts because they don't know this.

                    An analogy might help. The astrologers (demographers) are telling you how the stars move across the sky. It has never occurred to them to imagine the sun as the center of the planets and Earth's orbits. They have not imagined that the earth is spinning on a wobbly axis, thus they simply cannot make sense of the motions of the stars. They can predict with reasonable accuracy where the stars, moon, and planets will be in the sky in the next few minutes or hours, but they stink at longer durations. They know they stink at it too, but they are the experts and people turn to them for the facts. Along come the Chinese (I like this analogy because the Chinese have the same role in both), who explain this stuff to Italians and spark the renaissance. Demographers are unable to predict birth rates long term. They don't comprehend #4 above.

                    Regarding your last paragraph that starts with "In the end though". I think you mean "in the short term...". If you consider the long term, many many generations, you can make sense of #4. Comprehending that helps us know what we must do in the short term to mitigate the disaster that the "Limits to Growth" people predict.

                    jt

                    On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Jenny Goldie <jenny.goldie@...> wrote:
                    John

                    In answer to the question: How to get the birthrate we're aiming for, I advocate a whole lot of incentives and disincentives. Some in the feminist movement call this coercion but I don't.

                    For instance, you can't get a Government job in Vietnam if you have more than two children. Or...you can hand out child support measures (e.g. tax deductibility for child care costs) for the first and second child only. If you must have a baby bonus, you give it for the first child, less for the second and none at all for subsequent children. You ensure universal access to reproductive health measures, including a wide range of contraception. You have mandatory sex education in schools so no adolescent remains ignorant in matters of sex - both physiological and psychological. You create an awareness in society of limits as the Japanese did post-World War II when they learnt the lesson that they could not endlessly expand geographically to accommodate an ever-growing population. When I lived there in 1968, no-one questioned the societal norm of two children per family. Now, of course, women are rebelling and the birth rate is a mere 1.21. Young Japanese women would rather work and travel and have fun than stay home in cramped apartments and have two children as their mothers did. The Japanese, of course, don't have religious groups that promote large families and they don't have immigration to speak of, so it's easier for them to stabilise and reduce their population, but they are a model of sorts in terms of setting a societal limit on family size.

                    I was once told by a demographer not to worry about the few very large families in Australia as they didn't affect total fertility rate all that much and I think he was right.

                    In the end though, the imminent decline of oil and other energy sources will determine the future for us. Food (in)security will set the agenda. I interviewed someone yesterday who has done a follow-up on Limits to Growth (40 years old this year) and we're basically on track with the business-as-usual scenario which will see (to quote him): "... the industrial output starts to decline in the modelling in 2015, then food and services some years  later, like 2020, and then ultimately the death rate will go up with the lack of food and services. So population actually starts to decline in about 2030 and then drops by about a billion a decade, I think, at that sort of rate."

                    On that cheerful note, all the best, Jenny

                    #2 is unknown, thus regulations are impossible. Thus the StopAtTwo mission is not a political one, it is an educational mission.

                    This thread started by people complaining that Greenpeace was not willing to take on the job of population control. Greenpeace cannot do this. The other population related organizations are either clueless with respect to the fact free choice cannot possibly end deaths due to overpopulation long term, or they do not want to alienate whatever small base they have. There are others like Gregary Boyles and Al Bartlett that correctly recognize that we have overshot, and don't think any solution has the time to take effect before some ill defined collapse happens.

                    No matter how you slice it, there must be a new organization that's dedicated to educating everyone, including experts. The set of facts that everyone must understand are roughly these:
                    1) averaging more than two, kills children. (for brevity, I did not define "averaging more than two" here)
                    2) averaging more than two has been killing children, of all species including humans, forever.
                    3) our ignorance of this forces us to find ways to increase production of sustenance, which throughout history has sometimes in limited locations (for the past 500 years in North America for example) exceeded the necessary rate to keep ahead of the population growth determined by how many children we are averaging, but these instances are rare in human history and of course population always catches up to resume the killing.
                    4) Our ignorance of this causes the life expectancy of adults to drop and ends up killing even more children.
                    5) You cannot rely on others to have fewer than two to offset your extras above two. It must be your descendants that offset any extras.
                    6) The TwoFourEight algorithm, no more than 2 children, no more than 4 grandchildren, no more than 8 great grands, will ensure that your family does not contribute to growth.
                    7) Every country and the whole planet is overpopulated with humans because we are consuming resources that are essential to providing for our numbers faster than those resources renew. Which means that we must average less than two until we are no longer doing this. (e.g. we all do the OneTwoFour algorithm)
                    8) The fear of human extinction because of too few births is completely bogus. No human will ever experience human extinction. No human will be harmed if we all choose to have no children. (this is speaking to "experts" that make human extinction a worry.)
                    9) The only possible way to end the childhood deaths caused by overbreeding (averaging more than two) is to ensure that everyone, which means every society and religion and country, knows these facts. It must be taught to children, just like "murder is wrong" is taught to everyone. This is determined by the fact that if your descendants average more than two, they will overpopulate the planet even if everyone else has no kids from now on.
                    10) Any group that refuses to comprehend this, must be economically and physically isolated.

                    All of the above are simple facts of nature. All but 7 can be explained with simple logic, just like the Pythagorean theorem is explained with simple logic. (7 is just as logical, but it requires you to know that oil and other non-renewables are necessary to make 7 billion meals a day.)

                    I call these concepts the StopAtTwo concepts. I need help refining them, and explaining them. I need help creating a business plan that will eventually snag huge money to begin the education process which will be started through mass advertising.

                    jt

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2012
                      I object to two ideas here. One is that it is NOT decision makers who count, it is ordinary people.  When the people lead, the leaders will be shoved aside, so there is no point modifying the message to appeal to leaders, only citizens.  Also, we should not be compromising on ideology,  any compromise should be on territory instead.  It is better to have the exact right population policy in one village than a watered down compromise nationwide or worldwide.  The right policy anywhere can set an example everywhere, where a compromise can't.
                              Secondly, I WANT to consume more resources, as do most people.  It may be that a population of one billion can't sustainably consume 10 times the resources per capita, but a population of one Million CAN.  THAT is the goal!  Not a population of 5 billion subsisting on half of what we use now!
                      -Alan

                      On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:40:32 +1100 "Jenny Goldie" <jenny.goldie@...> writes:
[...]

                      All the best,

                      Jenny Goldie