Nuns urged to take the pill.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2011
      Professor Roger Short has co-authored a paper in The Lancet
      <http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2811%2961
      746-7/fulltext?rss=yes>
      saying that nuns need to take the pill.

      Cheers,

      Mark

      http://theconversation.edu.au/catholic-church-urged-to-give-nuns-the-pill
      -to-protect-against-cancer-4636

      8 December 2011, 2.32pm AEST

      Catholic church urged to give nuns the pill to protect against cancer

      <http://theconversation.edu.au/catholic-church-urged-to-give-nuns-the-pil
      l-to-protect-against-cancer-4636>

      The Catholic church should freely distribute the contraceptive pill to
      its almost 95,000 nuns in order to reduce their "greatly increased risk"
      of developing female-specific cancers, a paper published today in the
      Lancet says. A comment-piece, "The Plight of nuns: hazards of
      nulliparity," cites research...

      Author

      1. Matthew Thompson

      Matthew Thompson

      Editor

      </our_team#matthew-thompson>

      Disclosure Statement

      Our goal is to ensure the content is not compromised in any way. We
      therefore ask all authors to disclose any potential conflicts of
      interest before publication.

      8 December 2011, 2.32pm AEST

      Catholic church urged to give nuns the pill to protect against cancer

      We license our articles under Creative Commons --- attribution, no
      derivatives.

      Click here <#republish> to get a copy of this article to republish.

      Cc-by-nd-logo

      Republish

      You are free to republish this article, as long as you follow some
      simple guidelines </republishing_and_linking_guidelines>, which are
      summarised here:

      1. You can't edit our material unless you have the author's express
      permission or you are adjusting for relative changes in time,
      location and editorial style. To make material edits, please
      contact us <mailto:misha.ketchell@...>
      2. You can run the first few lines of the article only, if you say:
      "Read the full article at The Conversation
      <http://theconversation.edu.au>" with a link back to the article
      page on our site.
      3. You must link to us and include links from our story, as well as
      our page view counter.
      4. You can put our articles on pages with ads, but you can't sell our
      material separately.
      5. You can republish individual articles, but you can't automatically
      republish all of our articles unless approved by us
      <mailto:jack.rejtman@...>.
      6. You have to credit our authors and partner institutions in the
      byline. We prefer "Author Name, Institution" (for example "Bruce
      Mapstone, CSIRO").
      7. You have to credit The Conversation and link back to our home page
      as provided in the HTML.

      The full article is available here as HTML.

      <link rel="canonical"
      href="http://theconversation.edu.au/catholic-church-urged-to-give-nuns-th
      e-pill-to-protect-against-cancer-4636">
      content="http://theconversation.edu.au/catholic-church-urged-to-give-nuns
      -the-pill-to-protect-against-cancer-4636">
      href="http://theconversation.edu.au">The Conversation</a>. Read the <a
      href="http://theconversation.edu.au/catholic-church-urged-to-give-nuns-th
      e-pill-to-protect-against-cancer-4636">original
      article</a>. </p>
      A controversial article in Lancet suggests nuns should be prescribed
      the contraceptive pill to help reduce their high rates of cancer. AAP

      The Catholic church should freely distribute the contraceptive pill to
      its almost 95,000 nuns in order to reduce their "greatly increased risk"
      of developing female-specific cancers, a paper published today
      <about:blank> in the Lancet says.

      A comment-piece, "The Plight of nuns: hazards of nulliparity," cites
      research directly linking the number of menstrual cycles a woman goes
      through to her risk of cancer, with younger arrival of periods or late
      onset of menopause being associated with higher cancer risk. Nuns, being
      childless, generally have no break from periods through their lives. The
      paper cites a study of US nuns showing that they suffer almost triple
      the rate of deaths from breast and uterine cancer as other women, and
      more than double the rate from uterine cancer.

      Contraceptive pills have been shown to significantly reduce the
      incidence of ovarian and uterine cancer rates, the authors state, while
      forms of the pill are now available that suppress menstruation for
      months at a time or even altogether.