      Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 10:22 AM
      Subject: [PublicPopForum] Addicted to Money -- excellent

      The final episode of Addicted to Money, on ABC TV1 last night, was as good as we hoped.

      SPA could hardly have made a better documentary to push our own views.

      It had some great statistics, that went by in a flash. e.g. Something about needing 30 kilos of oil to make the fertiliser for 10 kilos of food.

      Ehrlich and others were good, though I had some reservations about Paul Gilding of the Ecos Foundation and one other who believed that migration out of the third world was unstoppable.

      I wonder if Ehrlich's suggestion that most Americans may have bought their last car will prove valid.

      Sadly I can't find a transcript of it online, only an "interactive edition" of the program..
      Basic info is at http://www.abc. net.au/tv/ documentaries/ stories/s2746753 .htm

      e.g.

      In the final episode of Addicted To Money, David McWilliams argues that the convulsions of the financial crisis are small compared to the imminent threats ahead.
      We are facing severe shortages of the key resources that fuel the global economy and make our civilisation possible: oil, water and food. Ultimately, these are all energy issues, and until the energy dilemma is seriously addressed, there can be little optimism for sustainable long-term growth.
      We have reached what influential Australian ecologist Paul Gilding calls the ‘Great Disruption’, the moment where our old economic model can no longer be sustained.

      Though the ABC's summary gives no indication of how crucial population was to McWilliams's analysis. Or how utterly he discounts "long-term growth".

      Perhaps one of the other national broadcasters in Ireland or UK will lodge a transcript.

      Cheers,

      Mark

      Doctorate Degrees Online
      Boost your career with an online doctoral degree. Enroll today!