158Fw: From Jane: 34 Million Friends of the U.N. Population Fund, April 2013

  • suza2875
    May 31, 2013

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      To: Undisclosed-recipients:;
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 16:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
      Subject: From Jane: 34 Million Friends of the U.N. Population Fund, April 2013

      From: JulianRob@...
      To: JulianRob@...
      Sent: 4/8/2013 1:50:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
      Subj: From Jane: 34 Million Friends of the U.N. Population Fund, April 2013

                           Please renew with a small gift and spread the word.
      www.34millionfriends.org or UNA Pasadena PO Box 93606, Pasadena, CA 91109

      Here I was in Chicago at the Global Activism Expo on April 6, 2013 sponsored by WBEZ, the NPR station in Chicago. I collected oodles of $1 bills and talked to hundreds of people and gave away 170 copies of my book. I really stressed family planning and showed people the 2012 UNFPA Population report titled By Choice Not by Chance. The edge of the gray sign which you see on the right is the poster welcoming me to Gourel Diadie elementary school way back in 2003 in Senegal. The poster welcomes Jane Roberts et ses 34 millions d'amis!

      And here is the letter I wrote to you before going to Chicago.

      It has been almost a year since I have written to you. 34 Million Friends is still going strong. July 22, 2013 will mark the beginning of the 12th year of this grassroots movement.  I am more dedicated than ever to the work of the U.N. Population Fund as it struggles in difficult situations to help women survive childbirth, to offer them the greatest humanitarian advance of the 20th and 21st centuries, i.e. family planning, and to minimize gender based violence about which we have read horrific stories of late.

      Worthy causes abound. Gender equality for me is at the top and you can’t get there without equal access to health and education for women and girls. That is what UNFPA is all about.

      When I was born in 1941 there were 2.7 billion people on the planet.  There are now over 7 billion, with about 215,000 people being added per day, i.e. more than 78 million per year. About 220 million women worldwide lack access to family planning and are devastated by undesired pregnancies.  Then too, there are 20 million unsafe abortions in the world every year causing untold misery and sometimes death.  UNFPA’s State of World Population report last year entitled “By Choice Not By Chance” was all about family planning.  34 Million Friends is at the core of women’s and families’ desire to have the children they want when they want. That’s what most of us are able to do.

      Here’s one paragraph from UNFPA head Babtunde Osotimehin’s very recent letter in the New York Times. “The time has long passed when anyone can or should be allowed to dictate or restrict women’s rights. No young girl should be forced into marriage. Each woman should have the means to exercise her human right to choose when and how often to have children.”

      That’s for sure.

      Big Cheers, Jane

      30-second trick for a flat belly
      TheFatBurningHormone.com