151Fw: Why breed? Re: Take control of your sexual health - put a ring on it!

    Aug 23, 2012
      --------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Beth" <beth_h8@...>
      To: Why_breed@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 04:21:20 -0000
      Subject: Why breed? Re: Take control of your sexual health - put a ring
      on it!

      I have long-since escaped Oklahoma, to a couple of states further north.
      And, to a much more isolated area. There were too many people there!

      The birth rate in this village of 128 people is that there have been 3
      infants born in the last year and a half. The women of child-bearing age
      generally use contraception, and encourage others to do so.

      In Oklahoma, "rescuing" the women from such an anti-choice state would
      not be the answer. These very poor women, often on alcohol-ridden
      reservations, insist that they have the RIGHT to have a lot of babies!
      And, it's the women who lead the charge against choice, and work very
      hard to make sure that every girl of breeding age gets her baby. Some of
      the men feel likewise, and a large number of them JUST DON'T CARE about
      the children they're fathering. Or, they actively want to be fathers,
      feed the girl/woman a line of BS, then never marry her or pay. Or, do so
      sporadically.

      Fundamentalist Churches and Catholic Churches have speakers talking about
      how all these "non-Christian women" are out there "murdering their
      babies", and from the sound of it, ALL women who are not members of these
      churches are just itching to have abortions. Abortion is the last gasp
      when all other steps at contraception have failed.

      I got out of there partly because I couldn't find anybody there who was
      worth talking to.

      Beth

      --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, "aditmore@..." <aditmore@...> wrote:

      > That is an impossible pipedream because conservative rural areas are
      absolutely doomed and the best we can possibly do is permanently evacuate
      women from antichoice states like Oklahoma. We cannot possibly save
      Oklahoma no matter how much it may need saving, any more than we can save
      Afghanistan. We can only make the best places even better by further
      advancing contraception in those places, mostly cities, where it is
      already most advanced.
      > Also, there is nothing stopping the city of Santa Cruz CA from
      providing free contraception to Oklahoman women in Oklahoma. And it is
      more likely than expecting the state of Oklahoma, or the feds, to provide
      free contraception to Oklahoman women in Oklahoma.
      > -Alan

      pills without a doctor's prescription is a good step. There have been
      many articles written that say that there is no justification for a woman
      to have to have an (expensive and invasive) medical examination to get
      the pill. Many doctors even say that without that requirement, they would
      not have women come in every year for their pap test and pelvic
      examinations. Birth control should not be held as hostage for that.

      > The other thing is that pharmacies can refuse to fill any prescription
      that violates their own moral/ethical code. A pro-pregnancy pharmacist
      might not fill a "morning after pill" prescription, or even a birth
      control pill prescription. Walmart will not fill emergency contraception
      prescriptions, even after a rape, and in many small towns or even larger
      ones, people without good transportation have to "take their chances" on
      getting pregnant. IMnsHO, a pharmacy or pharmacist which will not fill a
      valid prescription should have their license revoked. Better to have it
      as "over the counter" medicine, and it should be as easy to purchase as
      cough syrup.

      > Municipal contraception initiatives are great as far as they go, but
      everyone does not live in a city. There are small villages, small
      unincorporated communities, and people who do not live in any community.
      Contraception is needed in rural areas too! The way populations can and
      do increase, even if there were no births in cities for 50 years, without
      contraception in the country, we would still have our population
      increasing.

      > It needs to be nationwide. And, it needs to go into the culture as a
      "responsible" thing to do - not "morally questionable" as many would have
      us believe.

      > Beth
      >
      > --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, aditmore@ wrote:
      > >
      > > FINALLY!!!! a national campaign to promote MUNICIPAL contraception.
      Now
      > > you just need to focus on more small cities like Berkeley CA, Santa
      Cruz

      http://action.biologicaldiversity.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=599

      http://www.change.org/petitions/view/transfer_all_environmental_funds_to_

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/transfer-all-environmental-funds-to-cont

      http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily4_&page=NewsArtic

      https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=
      > > 12828
      > > http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/end_abonly
      > > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5041388
      > > We americans love cars more than babies, Very soon we will have to
      > > choose, and we will choose cars.
      > >
      > > On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:06:24 -0400 (EDT) "Cindy Pearson, National
      Women's
      > > Health Network" <alerts@> writes:
      > >
      > > About | Donate
      > >
      > > April 25, 2012
      > > Dear Friends,
      > >
      > > You may have seen in recent news that some cities have been giving
      away
      > > the new and improved FC2 Female Condom� in an effort to raise
      awareness
      > > about the product, which gives women more control in protecting
      > > themselves from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. New
      > > research is now showing that these female condom distribution
      programs
      > > are a successful AND cost-effective means of preventing new cases of
      HIV.
      > > Even more excitingly, manufacturer The Female Health Company has just
      > > announced that it will be beefing up its facilities for increased
      > > production in order to meet the high demand for FC2 expected in the
      near
      > > future.
      > >
      > > In the excerpt below, NWHN Program Coordinator Keely Monroe delves
      deeper
      > > into the facts on FC2 and its future potential. Click here to read
      the
      > > entire article, fresh from the current issue of The Women's Health
      > > Activist.
      > >

      > > Put a Ring on It!
      > >
      > > Cities around the country are making sure that more women stay
      healthy
      > > and sexy by telling them to "put a ring on it"! What type of ring,
      you
      > > may ask? We aren't talking about the kind of ring Beyonc�
      warned men
      > > about in her song "Put a Ring on It;" we're talking about the new and
      > > improved female condom.
      > >
      > > Female condoms are currently the only self-initiated barrier method
      > > option women have for preventing unwanted pregnancies and
      transmission of
      > > sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV � which
      makes them
      > > a critically important prevention tool for women.
      > >
      > > Advocates have always known that female condoms have the potential to
      > > play an important role in promoting positive sexual health and
      preventing
      > > HIV and other STIs. But, they also know a lot of work was needed to
      > > overcome the original female condom's bad reputation.
      > >
      > > So, when the FC2 was released in the U.S., advocates grabbed the
      > > opportunity to gain new momentum in promoting the female condom. With
      > > funding from city and state health departments and from private
      > > philanthropic sources, five cities with high HIV/AIDS prevalence have
      > > launched creative and fun public education campaigns, drawing on
      lessons
      > > learned in other countries, to engage communities and increase both
      > > awareness and use. These cities are Chicago, Houston, New York City,
      San
      > > Francisco, and Washington DC. Campaigns are also scheduled for
      Atlanta
      > > and Baton Rouge.
      > >
      > > Although the female condom may not have superstar rank among
      > > contraceptive methods yet, with innovative and engaging campaigns
      taking
      > > place around the country, it seems inevitable that female condoms
      will
      > > eventually reach the famed status they deserve!
      > >

      > > If you're not already getting The Women's Health Activist, click here
      > > find out how you can receive a one-year subscription by becoming a
      member
      > > of the National Women's Health Network.
      > >

      > > Thank you,
      > >

      > > Cindy Pearson
      > > Executive Director
      > > P.S. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to
      keep up
      > > with the latest women's health news.
      > >

      > > National Women's Health Network
      > > PH: 202.682.2640 | FAX: 202.682.2648 | For health information:
      > > 202.682.2646
      > > 1413 K Street, NW, 4th floor, Washington DC 20005
      > > www.nwhn.org
      > > here.

      > Woman is 53 But Looks 25
      > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/500c2c4425a0e2c430929st51vuc