Re: [chief-users] Re: V10 display of window & door openings in vector floor overview.

  • Tim O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 8, 2013
      you might try this...export the overview as an image (jpg, png)....then import that image into your plan, size it to fit, move it under the plan drawing...use layers to display what you want

      tim o'd

      On 9/8/2013 3:35 AM, wayne carter wrote:

      G'day all,

      Talking about windows can someone let me know how to display window & door openings in a vector floor overview in plan (top) view? I've got the openings to show up on one wall but can't seem to show them on the other walls around the rest of the home. I've duplicated all of the preferences from one wall to another but just can't get it. I'm still using V10.

      Here's hoping someone can help.

      Regards, Wayne

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 15, 2013

        Thanks Tim,

        I'll try this process & let you know if I have any success.

        Regards, Wayne

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 22 7:50 PM
          G'day All,

          I'm using V10 & I'm trying to have dimensions appear automatically when I
          select a door or a window. I have my dimension defaults - setup checked on
          locate openings & overall dimensions which according to the help display
          should have an automatic dimension appear without having to manually get the
          dimension to show.

          Am I missing something or am I going to the wrong area?

          If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much
          appreciated.

          Regards, Wayne

          --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "Steve" <architek9@...> wrote:

          > oops my bad.
          > should have checked the new Fit Frame to Wall under Sash & Frame
          > tab.
          > setting the casing to overlap with a reveal certainly helps too !
          >

          > --- In chief-u sers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
          , "Steve" wrote:

          > > Hi All - finally upgraded from X3, windows looked fine in plan view.
          > Now
          > > with the sill extended they look stupid in X5.
          > > with casing turned off its even worse. [:(] thoughts ?
          > >

          > > Best Regards,
          > > Steve

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

          No virus found in this message.

        • edward deering
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 23 8:21 AM
            Did you turn on 'show window labels' and 'door labels'?
            Ed

              Message 7 of 30 , Mar 25 8:36 PM
                G'day Ed,

                Thanks very much for answering my question. Tim O'Donnell replied as well &
                reminded me to turn on the temporary dimensions icon which I have on all of
                the time & must have accidentally disabled. Because I usually never have it
                off I'd forgotten about the icon & or turning it on via menu>CAD>Display
                Temporary Dimensions.

                Thanks again,

                Regards, Wayne

                Message 8 of 30 , Mar 25 8:40 PM
                  Thanks for your help Tim,

                  It's very much appreciated. I hope things are on the improve in your part of
                  the world as I'm sure some impending warm weather will lift the spirits.

                  Regards,

                  Wayne

                  Message 9 of 30 , Mar 26 7:26 AM
                    Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool?  When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                    I played with the settings and still am have great difficulty in getting the result I am looking for.  If anybody can shed light on how to make this tool work it would be appreciated.

                    Thanks,

                    Mark Lindstrom

                    Message 10 of 30 , Mar 26 10:50 PM
                      I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                      Carl W. Brooks
                      @techloyal
                      http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                      http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

                      > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.
                    • Ray Castano
                      Message 11 of 30 , Mar 27 6:15 AM

                        useless

                        Message 12 of 30 , Mar 27 7:54 AM
                          one of the many reasons I stopped upgrading at v10...

                          my tolerance for aggravation with the software and the decision makers hit its limits back then....so,why pay for features that didn't work as I would expect\want or even need...

                          On 3/27/2014 8:15 AM, Ray Castano wrote:

                          useless

                          I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                          Carl W. Brooks
                          @techloyal
                          http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                          http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

                          > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                        • ladder58engine

                            I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                            Carl W. Brooks
                            @techloyal
                            http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                            http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

                            > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                          • Jay Malaspino
                            Message 14 of 30 , Mar 27 8:05 AM
                              Tim,

                                Do you still use version 10 or have you moved on to other software?

                              Jay

                              Message 15 of 30 , Mar 27 8:26 AM
                                as I am proficient with it, and I can use it to produce the drawings I need... I still use v10...

                                for the small market I live in, the roi for me is not there to spend more money on seemingly endless upgrades of software\hardware\learning\etc., regardless of vendor....

                                On 3/27/2014 10:05 AM, Jay Malaspino wrote:

                                Tim,

                                  Do you still use version 10 or have you moved on to other software?

                                Jay

                                I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                Carl W. Brooks
                                @techloyal
                                http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                http://www.iamthereforeipad.com/

                                > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...>wrote:
                                >
                                > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                              • David Lee

                                  Message 17 of 30 , Mar 27 10:49 AM
                                    I am a contractor that does limited design and concerned by comments on later versions. Any opinion?

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 19 of 30 , Mar 27 11:31 AM

                                        I’ve been with Chief since V4 and have just upgraded to X5 and the one feature that I would like to see developed is the wall assembly and definition of the assemblies for dimensioning.

                                        I deal a lot with composite wall types and to be able to combine 2,3 or even 4 layers together to make a “composite wall component” that can be nominated as a main layer that could then be auto dimensioned to would solve heaps of editing and checking time for me.

                                        The problem at present is that you can only nominate one component wall assembly as the main layer and I want the ability to nominate a combination of walls joined together as the main layer.

                                        Auto dimensioning with only one component in a layer is great, but then you can’t get the Exterior and Interior textures showing at the same time for perspective views

                                        Also… The time wasted having to zoom in every time to make sure its dimensioning to the correct layer is nothing but a PITA

                                        Steve

                                        I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                        Carl W. Brooks
                                        @techloyal
                                        http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                        http://www.iamthereforeipad.com/

                                        > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                      • ladder58engine

                                          I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                          Carl W. Brooks
                                          @techloyal
                                          http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                          http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

                                          > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                        • ladder58engine

                                            I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                            Carl W. Brooks
                                            @techloyal
                                            http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                            http://www.iamthereforeipad.com/

                                            > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                          • Glenn Woodward
                                            Message 22 of 30 , Mar 27 3:10 PM
                                              Steve,

                                              You should have a look at X6.
                                              You can nominate multiple wall layers as the main layer.
                                              You can also manually change the way wall layers meet at wall intersections.

                                              Glenn Woodward

                                              I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                              Carl W. Brooks
                                              @techloyal
                                              http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                              http://www.iamthereforeipad.com/

                                              > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                              No virus found in this message.

                                            • evan - plans by design
                                              Message 23 of 30 , Mar 27 3:15 PM

                                                You can nominate multiple wall layers as the main layer.

                                                You can also manually change the way wall layers meet at wall intersections. Woohoo – finally !!

                                                Glenn Woodward

                                                I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                                Carl W. Brooks
                                                @techloyal
                                                http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                                http://www.iamthereforeipad.com/

                                                > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                                No virus found in this message.

                                              • Erik Buttars
                                                Message 24 of 30 , Mar 27 5:28 PM

                                                  Who wrote this with no signature!

                                                  Message 25 of 30 , Mar 28 5:19 AM
                                                    Erik it was me Ray Rood, I keep getting the emails from the chief-users group but can't get to the group to change anything it's like I lost my password

                                                    RAY

                                                    I get the same results which makes the feature unusable. I too would love a resolution.

                                                    Carl W. Brooks
                                                    @techloyal
                                                    http://youtube.com/palmloyal
                                                    http://www.iamthereforeipad.com

                                                    > On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Mark Lindstrom <lindstromllc@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > Speaking of auto dimensions, has anybody been successful in utilizing the auto interior dimension tool? When I use it I get surprising results both numerous duplicated dimensions and a chaotic display of numbers.

                                                  • Steve Mason
                                                    Message 26 of 30 , Apr 1, 2014

                                                      Thanks Glen & Evan

                                                      I’ll take a look at it.

                                                      Any idea if chief architect’s got an automatic window and door schedule “dimensioned plan” on the radar?

                                                      Regards

                                                      Steve Mason