Upgrade woes

  • Steve Mason
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
      Hi all.

      I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
      so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of $$ at
      this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone software.

      I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
      Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!

      Can any one suggest a work around.

      Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a fortune.

      I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
      rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment on the
      Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.

      Regards

      Steve

    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
        A mac will run say $2500.. A better equipped windows laptop will run say
        $500

        Plus you need to run on bootcamp which requires a windows operating system

        Probably best to upgrade Chief

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
          Hi Steve,

          While I no longer use Chief X1, I have it installed on Windows 7
          Professional and it works just fine.

          Regards,

          ERIK

          PS My trip to the USA for July/August 2013 has been postponed.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
            I think you need to step up and act more professionally and get with the
            times you should be running X5 on windows 7 or 8, your clients deserve
            the best service you can provide and scrimping on software is very
            unprofessional, would you like it if your dentist used a 10 year old drill
            regards Robert Moore

            On 25/06/2013 2:29 p.m., Steve Mason wrote:
            > Hi all.
            >
            > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
            > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of $$ at
            > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone software.
            >
            > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
            > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
            >
            > Can any one suggest a work around.
            >
            > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a fortune.
            >
            > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
            > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment on the
            > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Steve

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John Lee
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
              Steve,

              If you get the Pro version of 7 there is an XP mode (basically an OS within Win7) that you can run older programs on.

              John Lee
              JDL Construction, Inc.
              OR License 158824
              Residential General Contractor
              Commercial General Contractor 2
              Office: 541-942-1313
              Cell: 541-912-7683
              Fax: 541-943-4747
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 24, 2013, at 7:29 PM, Steve Mason <s.mason@...> wrote:

              > Hi all.
              >
              > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
              > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of $$ at
              > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone software.
              >
              > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
              > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
              >
              > Can any one suggest a work around.
              >
              > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a fortune.
              >
              > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
              > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment on the
              > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Steve

            • Steve Mason
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
                Thanks Robert

                Duly noted and yes it is in the budget, just not in the bank right now.

                I need the hardware first then the software.

                Steve

                I think you need to step up and act more professionally and get with the
                times you should be running X5 on windows 7 or 8, your clients deserve
                the best service you can provide and scrimping on software is very
                unprofessional, would you like it if your dentist used a 10 year old drill
                regards Robert Moore

                On 25/06/2013 2:29 p.m., Steve Mason wrote:
                > Hi all.
                >
                > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
                > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of $$
                at
                > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone
                software.

                > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
                > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
                >
                > Can any one suggest a work around.
                >
                > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a
                fortune.

                > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
                > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment on
                the
                > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Steve

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Steve Mason
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Thanks Eric

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Thanks Mike

                    I am leaning toward a Mac to be honest even though it's more expensive
                    initially.

                    It would be nice to have chief up an running fully on Mac's.

                    Everyone I talk to that have a Mac won't go back to windows machines.

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 24, 2013
                      PPS

                      Steve,

                      Chief X1 works fine within OS-7 Pro, I did not have to use the XP option.

                      ERIK

                      From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                        Mac Versus PC

                        I was not aware that Chief will run on a Mac, or have I missed
                        something, somewhere?

                        ERIK

                        From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                        From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                          Erik

                          It has been discussed at length on Chieftalk. It's in the
                          pipeline but no talk of a release date at this stage. Could be a
                          little way off yet.

                          Len Martin
                          Melbourne
                          Australia

                          On 25/06/2013 5:15 PM, Erik Buttars wrote:

                          > Mac Versus PC
                          >
                          > I was not aware that Chief will run on a Mac, or have I missed
                          > something, somewhere?
                          >
                          > ERIK
                          >
                          > From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                        • David M. Viens
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                            Steve,

                            I have tried running CA on a Mac Pro with Parallels and XP. Quite honestly
                            the functionality was slow and clunky. I broke down and recently purchased a
                            Toshiba Satellite and CA X5. No regrets.

                            Sincerely,

                            dmv signature

                            David M. Viens

                            DMVLOGO_email

                          • edward deering
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                              Eric
                              Mine wouldn't work that way and running Win. 7 Pro. But might have if I was
                              smarter. I tried it but never could get it to work right.
                              Ed

                              From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                              From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                                I ran Chief on MacBook Pros. it ran on Bootcamp just fine...( you have to buy a copy of Windows OS )
                                BUT you can get better results from windows machines with better graphics cards designed for gaming.

                                I gave both Macs to my daughter and went back to windows machines
                                IE if you are buying a Mac to run Chief.. save your money
                                If you like the MAC OS then go for it..

                                but Mac / Windows is definitely right/brain/ left brain...
                                not like Ford/Chevy... more like toilet paper ... over/under

                                Mike

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                                  Mike
                                  Over
                                  Ed

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                                    I have v10 to running on win7, so i think with a little tweaking of win7
                                    you should be able to get v11 to run on it...

                                    see this thread..

                                    On 6/24/2013 9:29 PM, Steve Mason wrote:

                                    > Hi all.
                                    >
                                    > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
                                    > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of
                                    > $$ at
                                    > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone
                                    > software.
                                    >
                                    > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
                                    > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
                                    >
                                    > Can any one suggest a work around.
                                    >
                                    > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a
                                    > fortune.
                                    >
                                    > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
                                    > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment
                                    > on the
                                    > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    >
                                    > Steve

                                  • Steve Mason
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 25, 2013
                                      Cheers Tim

                                      Appreciate the link.

                                      Steve

                                      I have v10 to running on win7, so i think with a little tweaking of win7
                                      you should be able to get v11 to run on it...

                                      see this thread..

                                      On 6/24/2013 9:29 PM, Steve Mason wrote:

                                      > Hi all.
                                      >
                                      > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
                                      > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of
                                      > $$ at
                                      > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone
                                      > software.
                                      >
                                      > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
                                      > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
                                      >
                                      > Can any one suggest a work around.
                                      >
                                      > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a
                                      > fortune.
                                      >
                                      > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
                                      > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment
                                      > on the
                                      > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
                                      >
                                      > Regards
                                      >
                                      > Steve

                                    • Ron Galer
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 11, 2013

                                        Hi, I have Windows 7 with no tweaks, just installed it and it works perfectly.

                                        Ron Galer

                                        Perth, Australia

                                        I have v10 to running on win7, so i think with a little tweaking of win7
                                        you should be able to get v11 to run on it...

                                        see this thread..

                                        On 6/24/2013 9:29 PM, Steve Mason wrote:

                                        > Hi all.
                                        >
                                        > I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform
                                        > so it means an automatic upgrade which I do not want to do because of
                                        > $$ at
                                        > this stage. Its tough enough having to upgrade hardware let alone
                                        > software.
                                        >
                                        > I need a new laptop and XP is not going to be available or supported by
                                        > Windows early next year so I'm feeling a little screwed here!
                                        >
                                        > Can any one suggest a work around.
                                        >
                                        > Need to have a lap top so it needs to be grunty without spending a
                                        > fortune.
                                        >
                                        > I don't know anything about Mac's but I'm told their operating system is
                                        > rock hard and understand that chief will run in a windows environment
                                        > on the
                                        > Mac using XP. Not sure what this means but would appreciate some feedback.
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        >
                                        > Steve

                                      • Linda Ihle
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 11, 2013
                                          Me too

                                          Hi, I have Windows 7 with no tweaks, just installed it and it works perfectly.

                                          Ron Galer
                                          Perth, Australia

                                          I have v10 to running on win7, so i think with a little tweaking of win7
                                          you should be able to get v11 to run on it...

                                          see this thread..

                                          On 6/24/2013 9:29 PM, Steve Mason wrote:

                                          > Hi all.

                                          &g t; I am told by Chief Architect that V.X1 will not work on windows 7 platform