outside beam at an angle

  • wayne carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
      I'd like to put an external beam from an exterior brick wall onto a brick
      pier at an angle of about 6 degrees. I can't seem to put one using a
      polyline and then tilt it from horizontal to approx 6 degrees fall. Can
      anyone help?

      Regards

      Wayne Carter

    • Craig L. Meyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
        Wayne

        If you are using X4 you can do it in elevation view. Create your polyline in
        elevation and then change it to a solid, give it the depth you want it to be
        and place it on the layer you want and select the material. Once that is
        done, close the dia. box and select the beam and rotate it to the position
        you want. Then go to plan view and position it in plan where it is supposed
        to be located. Works great!

        Craig

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2012
          G'day Craig,

          I should have mentioned I am using V10.08.

          Regards

          Wayne Carter

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2012
            create a roof plane @ 6 degree pitch (or 84 degrees if off vertical)  off to the side somewhere, use soffit tool to put beam under that roof, delete roof plane save beam to library, you can do the math on a sloped soffit but

            I find this much faster for a specified angle and length then it can be dealt with in 3d elevation view for final placement. I use this method often when creating a post and beam structure, angled trim or a custom timber truss.