Wdw Sills

  • tresian3d
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 8, 2011
      Evening Chieftans !!

      I am trying to turn off the Sills on exterior and interior but I do want
      Lintels. Some wdws will take it off and others I cannot check it out.
      I don't want to show protruding sills on my floor plan. I keep trying to
      check off but they are coming back checked over and over again.

      A couple of wdws finally turned off. Can anyone help? It must be a bug
      in the program, you think ??

      PS I checked off in my preference default and I still have sills showing.
    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
        which version are you working in ?

        you should take your question to ChiefTalk

        Mike

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
          if you are using the default flat casing, as soon as you check the
          lintel box the sill box is reactivated

          to bypass this "feature" use the custom moldings tab of your window to
          assign a desired profile to the casing, lintel and sill

          say you want a 1x4 casing ...simply draw the profile with the cad tools
          and add it to your custom molding library, then assign it to all the
          aspects of your window (draw the casing vertically as the thickness of
          the profile is what sets the projection

          like this:

          | |
          | |
          | |
          | |

          not this:
          __________
          __________

          if you do this in your profile plan so it is the default setup, double
          click the window icon to open window defaults, make the changes and the
          save the profile plan....

          tim o'd

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
            i think it is easy enough to answer w/o that happening ;-)

            On 9/9/2011 5:56 AM, Mike Smith wrote:

            > which version are you working in ?
            >
            > you should take your question to ChiefTalk
            >
            > Mike

          • tresian3d
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
              Thanks for your reply Tim O'D

              Here is what I tried to do I drew a 3D molding polyline 1x4 ( vertically ) and added it to my Library in My Molding. I chose this preference under wdws. It worked on one window but not on any other wdws. A one time fluke. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

              Help some more? Tresa. Using Version 10.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                Scratch the one wdw worked, it is not working no matter how many times I try drawing a polyline and adding it to library, defaulting and resetting, still cannot turn off sill. I am going to try opening a new plan and drawing a polyline molding. Maybe if I got one of your custom moldings and uploaded to my program, it would work. Let you know what happens when I try this again. This is frustrating me. Tres.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                  if you set up the default window with this, only NEW windows will be as
                  the default is

                  if you have windows already place, you will need to edit each
                  individually....

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                    see if this helps:

                    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4

                    On 9/9/2011 12:04 PM, tresian3d wrote:

                    > Scratch the one wdw worked, it is not working no matter how many times
                    > I try drawing a polyline and adding it to library, defaulting and
                    > resetting, still cannot turn off sill. I am going to try opening a new
                    > plan and drawing a polyline molding. Maybe if I got one of your custom
                    > moldings and uploaded to my program, it would work. Let you know what
                    > happens when I try this again. This is frustrating me. Tres.
                    >
                    > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "tresian3d" <tresfavian@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Thanks for your reply Tim O'D
                    > >
                    > > Here is what I tried to do I drew a 3D molding polyline 1x4 (
                    > vertically ) and added it to my Library in My Molding. I chose this
                    > preference under wdws. It worked on one window but not on any other
                    > wdws. A one time fluke. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
                    > >
                    > > Help some more? Tresa. Using Version 10.
                    > >

                    > > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim O'Donnell" <timod@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > if you are using the default flat casing, as soon as you check the
                    > > > lintel box the sill box is reactivated
                    > > >
                    > > > to bypass this "feature" use the custom moldings tab of your
                    > window to
                    > > > assign a desired profile to the casing, lintel and sill
                    > > >
                    > > > say you want a 1x4 casing ...simply draw the profile with the cad
                    > tools
                    > > > and add it to your custom molding library, then assign it to all the
                    > > > aspects of your window (draw the casing vertically as the
                    > thickness of
                    > > > the profile is what sets the projection
                    > > >
                    > > > like this:
                    > > >
                    > > > | |
                    > > > | |
                    > > > | |
                    > > > | |

                    > > > not this:
                    > > > __________
                    > > > __________
                    > > >
                    > > > if you do this in your profile plan so it is the default setup,
                    > double
                    > > > click the window icon to open window defaults, make the changes
                    > and the
                    > > > save the profile plan....
                    > > >
                    > > > tim o'd

                    > do want
                    > out.
                    > trying to

                    > a bug

                    > showing.

                  • Ted Terrenzio
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                      Hello Tim,

                      Nice tutorial! The screen resolution was just a little bit low.

                      What software did you use to do the recording? I have an interest.

                      Thanks.

                      --
                      -Ted

                      -Ted

                    • Tim O'Donnell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                        after re-reading your initial post, I thought you might simply be
                        wanting a thin sill that doesn't project past the side casing, ...for
                        that simply make another pline molding profile of the desired ht...so if
                        you made 1x4 or 1x6 for the lintel and sides....make a sill that is 1x1
                        or 1xwhatever ht you want the sill to be

                        On 9/9/2011 1:07 PM, Tim O'Donnell wrote:

                        > see if this helps:
                        >
                        > http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4
                        > <http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4>
                        >
                        > On 9/9/2011 12:04 PM, tresian3d wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Scratch the one wdw worked, it is not working no matter how many times
                        > > I try drawing a polyline and adding it to library, defaulting and
                        > > resetting, still cannot turn off sill. I am going to try opening a new
                        > > plan and drawing a polyline molding. Maybe if I got one of your custom
                        > > moldings and uploaded to my program, it would work. Let you know what
                        > > happens when I try this again. This is frustrating me. Tres.
                        > >
                        > > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "tresian3d" <tresfavian@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Thanks for your reply Tim O'D
                        > > >
                        > > > Here is what I tried to do I drew a 3D molding polyline 1x4 (
                        > > vertically ) and added it to my Library in My Molding. I chose this
                        > > preference under wdws. It worked on one window but not on any other
                        > > wdws. A one time fluke. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
                        > > >
                        > > > Help some more? Tresa. Using Version 10.
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                        > > window to

                        > > tools
                        > > thickness of

                        > > double
                        > > and the

                        > > do want
                        > > out.
                        > > trying to

                        > > a bug

                        > > showing.

                      • Tim O'Donnell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                          Ted,

                          I degraded the video quality to keep the file size small....but the
                          program will make higher res video...

                          the program I used is CamStudio Portable....it is freeware, fits on a
                          thumbdrive.....available from PortableApps

                          http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/camstudio_portable

                        • Ted Terrenzio
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                            Thank you for the useful info Tim.

                            Take care.

                            --
                            -Ted

                            On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Tim O'Donnell <timod@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Ted,
                            >
                            > I degraded the video quality to keep the file size small....but the
                            > program will make higher res video...
                            >
                            > the program I used is CamStudio Portable....it is freeware, fits on a
                            > thumbdrive.....available from PortableApps
                            >
                            > http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/camstudio_portable
                            >

                            > On 9/9/2011 1:11 PM, Ted Terrenzio wrote:
                            > > Hello Tim,
                            > >
                            > > Nice tutorial! The screen resolution was just a little bit low.
                            > >
                            > > What software did you use to do the recording? I have an interest.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > -Ted
                            > >

                            > > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Tim O'Donnell<timod@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> **
                            > >>

                            > >> see if this helps:
                            > >>

                            > http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4

                            -Ted

                          • tresian3d
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                              Yes, I am doing it this way. I guess the problem is taking the sill off the floor plan but unchecking sill and that's what won't work either way w/ a custom molding or not. I appreciate your help. I have resumed to leaving the
                              sill stick out on the floor plan so I can get the Lintel to show in elevations.
                              It's a Chief flaw for sure !! Thanks Tim !!

                            • Tim O'Donnell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                                I missed the floorplan view part....if you go to the options tab in the
                                window dbx and check recessed to sheathing layer the sill will pull back
                                to the outside siding line

                                if you also want the casing to stand proud of the siding in 3d views,
                                make your custom molding thick enough to account for the siding
                                thickness and how much you want it to project

                                On 9/9/2011 1:46 PM, tresian3d wrote:

                                > Yes, I am doing it this way. I guess the problem is taking the sill
                                > off the floor plan but unchecking sill and that's what won't work
                                > either way w/ a custom molding or not. I appreciate your help. I have
                                > resumed to leaving the
                                > sill stick out on the floor plan so I can get the Lintel to show in
                                > elevations.
                                > It's a Chief flaw for sure !! Thanks Tim !!
                                >
                                > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim O'Donnell" <timod@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > see if this helps:
                                > >

                                > http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4
                                > <http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v173/tim1153/?action=view¤t=NoSill_1.mp4>
                                > >
                                > > On 9/9/2011 12:04 PM, tresian3d wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Scratch the one wdw worked, it is not working no matter how many
                                > times
                                > > > I try drawing a polyline and adding it to library, defaulting and
                                > > > resetting, still cannot turn off sill. I am going to try opening a
                                > new
                                > > > plan and drawing a polyline molding. Maybe if I got one of your
                                > custom
                                > > > moldings and uploaded to my program, it would work. Let you know what
                                > > > happens when I try this again. This is frustrating me. Tres.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > > > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "tresian3d" <tresfavian@>

                                > > > vertically ) and added it to my Library in My Molding. I chose this
                                > > > preference under wdws. It worked on one window but not on any other
                                > > > wdws. A one time fluke. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

                                > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > > > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim O'Donnell" <timod@>

                                > > > window to

                                > > > tools
                                > all the
                                > > > thickness of

                                > > > double
                                > > > and the

                                > but I
                                > > > do want
                                > check it
                                > > > out.
                                > > > trying to

                                > must be
                                > > > a bug

                                > sills
                                > > > showing.

                              • tresian3d
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                                  I wish it was an option but I only see recess to sheathing layer in Door defaults which is greyed out with no access to check on?? Wdws does not have this option. I only want to stop sill from protruding on the floor plan but I do want a Lintel to show in my elevations. Sill only turns off if you do not use Lintel. Thanks again for trying to help. Tres.

                                • Tim O'Donnell
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 9, 2011
                                    for some unknown reason the "recessed to sheathing layer" is not
                                    available as an option in the window defaults

                                    you have to do them individually or use the select similar objects tool...

                                    to use the select same tool set one window to recessed to sheathing layer,

                                    then with the window selected, on the edit toolbar click the select
                                    similar objects icon to open the select similar objects dbx....

                                    next check the boxes for recess to main layer and recess to sheathing
                                    layer.......click okay....

                                    all windows that are using the recessed attribute will be highlighted,
                                    simply click on all the rest that you want to assign that attribute to