Looking into Chief Arch.

  • upphins
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
      I've just started looking at this program so excuse me for the simple question. How does Chief Architect handle additions to existing building, which I do a lot of? How does it differentiate between old and new? Thank you so much! Peter
    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
        upphins

        Chief will handle it almost any way you want.. you can change the definition of any wall or section so it will display differently... you can change the materials so some will be included in material lists and some excluded.
        we do most of our work in additions also... depending on how much research and design work you want to expend, you can get the existing structure completely detailed and defined or you can leave it out of the picture altogether

        Mike Smith
        RI~~Design/Build

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
          Mike in elevation how do you delineate between the existing house and the
          new addition would like to show existing house with dashed lines in
          elevation and the new addition with reg lines if that is possible.

          Ray Rood
          Residential Design Services, Inc.
          403 Bacon St.
          Jermyn, Pa 18433
          RRGC@...
          Phone: 570-876-3077

        • LaMar Hunter
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
            I just simply use a different color line for the existing building and another color for the new building. This works pretty good for me and for the fellows that do the work.

            LaMar

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
              if that is what you want ,
              I'd define the "existing wall" with a siding that shows "dashed lines " in elevation
              and in the "materials " define it as "air space" or somesuch so it won't show up in the material schedule

              Mike Smith
              RI~~Design/Build

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                I use different layers for the addition and the existing

                George VanDusen, CPBD

                PHOENIX CONSTRUCTION

                www.phoenixconstruction.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Looks like the jpg I attached did not stay on. Shows difference in 3D. I
                  can e-mail you.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                    Hi welcome to the group. I've been a long time user of CA and think it's one of the best programs out there for both new construction and remodels/additions. There are so many different ways to do what you ask that it would be difficult to describe them all. Suffice it to say that once you create the 'existing conditions' floor plans and elevations you do a save as and draw whatever you want to in the way of additions etc. You can create a new wall type , put it and anything else on newly created layers and turn off and on all the different layers. You could eliminate any items you choose to from the materials list , make certain materials transparent in the 3 d views... The possibilities ate endless.
                    Tony Thompson s@...

                  • s.mason@paradise.net.nz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                      Hi LaMar.

                      I'm following this thread because we are doing more and more Alteration and
                      Addition work and I'm interested in how you are accomplishing the
                      difference. Are you setting up a one colour for all existing terrain,
                      foundation, floor, wall , roof, ceiling, layers and layersets etc for the
                      existing.

                      I'm about to experiment with new wall types to see if an "Air" framing
                      layer will still show framing, for foundations, floor walls ceilings roofs
                      etc.

                      Steve