Chief won't recognize file

  • drail14me
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
      I've got an older plan that the builder wants more prints of. I'd moved the folder that contains the plan a couple years ago while organizing files. Other than moving the folder, I've not made any other changes.

      I tried to access the file today by clicking on "open plan" and navigating to the containing folder. When I did this, the "open plan pane showed no files in the folder. I checked the folder with Windows Explorer and saw my 1st Floor.pl1 file plain as day.

      Why can I see the file with windows explorer but not see it or open it with Chief?

      Thanks,

      Dennis
    • Steve Callaway
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
        Hi Dennis

        Try double clicking on it from windows explorer.

        This works fine for me.

        I just did that about an hour ago.

        Regards

        Steve

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
          Steve,

          I'd tried that. No luck. Also tried a right click then "open with" and picked Chief from the list. Chief told me that I had to pick a 1st floor plan to open. This plan is a 1st floor plan.

          When I check the properties and all for the file, it shows it as a .pl1 plan. But, when I right click, it shows the file name as "gym.pl1.dwg" and lists it as an autocad file. I'm thinking that might be part of the problem but I can't figure out how to get rid of the .dwg extension and don't know how it got there.

          Dennis

          --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Callaway" <avds@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dennis
          >

          > Try double clicking on it from windows explorer.
          >
          > This works fine for me.
          >
          > I just did that about an hour ago.
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > Steve
        • Craig Meyer
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
            Dennis,

            I would suggest you copy the file into another folder, then re-name it by
            taking off the .dwg extension and leaving the .pl1. Once this is done, move
            it back to the first folder and try opening it again.

            Craig

            --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Steve Callaway" <avds@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dennis
            >

            > Try double clicking on it from windows explorer.
            >
            > This works fine for me.
            >
            > I just did that about an hour ago.
            >

            > Regards
            >
            > Steve

          • drail14me
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
              No luck. I was able to get the .dwg extension off. Chief recognizes it now but says the file is corrupt when I try to open. Guess I'm out of luck.

              Thanks for the help,

              Dennis

              --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Meyer" <craiglmeyer@...> wrote:

              > Dennis,
              >

              > I would suggest you copy the file into another folder, then re-name it by
              > taking off the .dwg extension and leaving the .pl1. Once this is done, move
              > it back to the first folder and try opening it again.
              >

              > Craig

            • Tim O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
                what version of Chief are you using?
                what version was the plan created with?

                I have versions 8, 9, 10 of Chief installed on older systems as well as
                3dha v's 1& 3......with these I can open older files and bring them
                forward to formats compatible with newer versions

                if you want me to do this for you, zip the folder with the files you
                have and send them direct to me or post them in the files section of
                this site....just let me know as it only takes a few seconds to do

                tim o'd

                On 6/3/2010 10:54 PM, drail14me wrote:

                > No luck. I was able to get the .dwg extension off. Chief recognizes it
                > now but says the file is corrupt when I try to open. Guess I'm out of
                > luck.
                >
                > Thanks for the help,
                >
                > Dennis
                >
                > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "Craig Meyer"
                > <craiglmeyer@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dennis,
                > >

                > > I would suggest you copy the file into another folder, then re-name
                > it by
                > > taking off the .dwg extension and leaving the .pl1. Once this is
                > done, move
                > > it back to the first folder and try opening it again.
                > >

                > > Craig
                > >

                > > From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

              • drail14me
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Tim,

                  I'm running Chief 10 and the file was created with 10 so there should be no issues. I ended up printing some quick 8X10 prints of the plan yesterday from the .jpg created in the folder for the builder. That'll have to do for him as he never paid for the drawings anyway. LOL

                  Thanks

                  --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Tim O'Donnell" <timod@...> wrote:

                  > what version of Chief are you using?
                  > what version was the plan created with?
                  >
                  > I have versions 8, 9, 10 of Chief installed on older systems as well as
                  > 3dha v's 1& 3......with these I can open older files and bring them
                  > forward to formats compatible with newer versions
                  >
                  > if you want me to do this for you, zip the folder with the files you
                  > have and send them direct to me or post them in the files section of
                  > this site....just let me know as it only takes a few seconds to do
                  >
                  > tim o'd
                  >

                  > On 6/3/2010 10:54 PM, drail14me wrote:
                  > >
                  > > No luck. I was able to get the .dwg extension off. Chief recognizes it
                  > > now but says the file is corrupt when I try to open. Guess I'm out of
                  > > luck.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the help,
                  > >
                  > > Dennis
                  > >
                  > > --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>, "Craig Meyer"
                  > > <craiglmeyer@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Dennis,
                  > > >

                  > > > I would suggest you copy the file into another folder, then re-name
                  > > it by
                  > > > taking off the .dwg extension and leaving the .pl1. Once this is
                  > > done, move
                  > > > it back to the first folder and try opening it again.
                  > > >

                  > > > Craig
                  > > >

                  > > > From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>

                • RICHARD W
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
                    Just a thought if it's a dwg file open chief and see if you can import the file.