Re: [chief-users] 64 bit OS

  • Tim O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      I'm running v10 on vista 64 w/o trouble...I just shut of User Account
      Control to get rid of all the annoying messages Vista insists on popping
      up every stinking time you try to do anything...

      As it consumes a lot of system resources, I also saw no good reason to
      leave the Aero interface running so I shut that off as well and it
      freed up a ton of system resources...and this is on a machine with 4g of
      ram and a dedicated nvidia video card w/ another gig of video ram....and
      a terrabyte of disk space..

      Peter Bucy wrote:

      > I just bought a new Dell laptop; it came with the 64 bit version of Vista
      > and will soon be upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit. Is anyone running X2
      > on a 64
      > bit machine?
      >
      > TIA - Pete

    • l8od
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        I'm running v10 on vista 64 w/o trouble, so i would think v!2 would..I just shut of User Account Control to get rid of all the annoying messages Vista insists on popping up every stinking time you try to do anything...

        --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Bucy" <petebucy@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a new Dell laptop; it came with the 64 bit version of Vista
        > and will soon be upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit. Is anyone running X2 on a 64
        > bit machine?
        >
        > TIA - Pete

      • EDWARD (TED) TERRENZIO, GRI
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi Tim,
          Long time.
          Is that machine one of your personal creations? I will need to address some aging hardware issues as the future fastly approaches me. If you have a moment I it would benefit me to hear the specs, brands, costs, and where it or the parts were sourced and approximately when. If my request sounds a bit excessive, please just share what you have time or desire to make public. Thanks old friend.
          Hope all is well for you and yours. Now that you have probably just warmed up and dug out of snow from last winter it is time for you to begin preparations for this years cycle. So when you get a moment, climb up on one of those phone line poles, wire up a couple of tin cans with some string and get back to me :) Hopefully the excessive quantity of text in this message didn't cause too much of a "bottle neck" for your dial-up line :)
          Till later; take care.
          Ted
          --
          Thank you for your trust,
          ____________________________
          EDWARD (TED) TERRENZIO, GRI
          Licensed PA Realtor�
          License # RS301993
          Direct Phone: 215-646-7875
          *
          Get This Week's Local Market Conditions:
          http://www.Terrenzio.com
          ____________________________
          Keller Williams Real Estate
          910 Harvest Dr - Suite 100
          Blue Bell, PA 19422
          Office: 215-646-2900
          *
          Each Office is Independently Owned & Operated
          ____________________________
          This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain information protected by state and federal privacy and intellectual property laws. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail, and you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Equal Housing Opportunity.

          I'm running v10 on vista 64 w/o trouble, so i would think v!2 would..I just shut of User Account Control to get rid of all the annoying messages Vista insists on popping up every stinking time you try to do anything...

          As it consumes a lot of system resources, I also saw no good reason to leave the Aero interface running so I shut that off as well and it freed up a ton of system resources...and this is on a machine with 4g of ram and a dedicated nvidia video card w/ another gig of video ram....and a terrabyte of disk space..

          --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Bucy" <petebucy@...> wrote:

          > I just bought a new Dell laptop; it came with the 64 bit version of Vista
          > and will soon be upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit. Is anyone running X2 on a 64
          > bit machine?
          >
          > TIA - Pete

        • Marvin Lawley
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            I'm running X2 on Vista Home Premium 64 and Windows 7 64. X2 runs well.
            The only problem I've had is with 2 printers that don't have Vista/Windows 7
            drivers and some old programs that won't run on 64 bit operating systems.

            Marvin

            _____

            --- In chief-users@ <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
            "Peter Bucy" <petebucy@...> wrote:

            > I just bought a new Dell laptop; it came with the 64 bit version of Vista
            > and will soon be upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit. Is anyone running X2 on a
            64
            > bit machine?
            >
            > TIA - Pete

          • E. James Buttars
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              Hi Tim, Guys',

              Running Vista Business 32 bit & Office 2007.

              Great to see you two guys are still lurking around the corral, like me, the
              Big C Ranch in small town somewhere in Idaho!

              Like you I had switched off the User Control, but I have had problems with
              crashes since!

              Where in the blazes can I find the Aero Interface option you mentioned Tim?
              Another problem I have been experiencing since Internet Explorer 8 was
              installed is that I cannot access a hyperlink from Outlook any more. I have
              been in touch with MS and the information they offered has not worked; which
              was /run/regedit/follow the bouncing ball trick, duh!

              While I am on the band wagon, when will, if ever; MS learn from the success
              of the Apple Mac OS software!!! One operating system, 100%. I bet MS would
              make more money (as if they need it) by making us consumers happier and the
              end result being they will sell more PC software programs; that is if they
              had the guts to follow suit. MS continues to irritate and confuse the shit
              out of every consumer by putting out one OS in a dozen different cloaks, I
              guess for no other purpose than to try and make a bigger buck out of their
              mistakes, i.e., Vista *COS, yuck!

              Sound off,

              Erik

              *CRAP OPERATING SYSTEM

              I'm running v10 on vista 64 w/o trouble...I just shut of User Account
              Control to get rid of all the annoying messages Vista insists on popping up
              every stinking time you try to do anything...

              As it consumes a lot of system resources, I also saw no good reason to leave
              the Aero interface running so I shut that off as well and it freed up a ton
              of system resources...and this is on a machine with 4g of ram and a
              dedicated nvidia video card w/ another gig of video ram....and a terabyte of

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                Ted,

                Good to see you're still out there...What version of Chief are you using?

                nothing special for the Vista64 system...it is just an Acer laptop that
                ran around $800 from newegg.com...I added a 500g internal HD to bump up
                the onboard storage...because i made sure to get a laptop with esata
                capabilities...I also got a 1terabyte external HD that I can plug into
                my old, self-built desktop (6years+) that I keep tweaking...added a card
                for support for esata (cost about $25) ...it already had internal sata
                support so it also has a terrabyte internal...running XP on that one

                Erik,

                greetings to you as well..

                the Aero interface can be turned off by right clicking on the desktop
                and in the pop-up menu select personalize...then click the "Window Color
                and Appearance" link...in the Appearance Settings dbx in the lower left
                corner select Windows Standard or Windows Classic to shut off Aero
                (Windows Vista Basic might also turn off some of the Aero
                interface)...you can also check out the effects and ad vanced buttons
                for other settings as well...in effects I turn on ClearType to smooth
                fonts...then turn off the rest...I leave the Advanced settings alone,
                blue being fine with me..

                some other tweaks:
                http://www.techlifeweb.com/vista/2006/09/10-first-tweaks-to-windows-vista-after.html
                http://www.itbusiness.ca/IT/client/en/home/News.asp?id=49810
                http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/83ec0ffe-ee04-4d53-8b87-25d1f05c954e1033.mspx

                I do not use many programs that require installing...I do not use
                Outlook or IE, instead i use Firefox portable and Thunderbird
                portable...as well as OpenOffice Portable...these and other free apps
                are designed to be put on a thumbdrive and you can take them with you to
                whatever windows based system you might use...BUT they can easily be
                placed on a HD and used from that...the big advantage is they do no
                write anything to the system registry to clutter up and slow down the
                system with unneeded, unused crap...about the only program I have that
                needs the install routine is Chief

                I prefer the Apps and interface offer by
                http://portableapps.com/
                but there are others out there as well

                http://www.pendriveapps.com/
                http://www.portablefreeware.com/
                http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Tim,
                  10.08.
                  Running a 6 year plus server 2.0 gig xeon, 4 gig ram, 512 nVidia, 15,000 rpm scsi storage drives, XP Pro.
                  Running 2.0 gig mobile intel, 2.0 gig ram, 256 nVidia, 7,200 rpm storage drive, XP Pro.
                  Running a few 2.0 gig, 1.0 gig ram, ATI cards, Dell Optiplexs.
                  Doing some photography and video which require similar if not more hardware power than Chief.
                  Also backing up to a couple of external 300 gig Maxtor drives.

                  --
                  Thank you for your trust,