Fed up with Chief Support

  • Don Tremblay
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hello
      I am finally fed up with chief support or i should say LACK of it,
      was wondering if anybody uses TurboCad as i have ver.10 and was
      wondering if i should upgrade.
      TIA Don
    • Ray Castano
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Don

        Not sure what kind of problems you are having, but, as far as tech support
        for Chief goes,,, the forums are the way to go IMHO.

        Ray

        _____

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
          Don: what is the nature of the support you need ?

          I subscribe to ChiefExperts.com for training and general support... that's the group that Dan Bauman runs.

          Myself.... I'm still using 10.08a
          I have X1 but haven't used it much. I'm waiting to see what they do with 12.

          Mike Smith
          Design / Build - Rhode Island

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
            --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Castano" <R.Castano@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Don
            >
            > Not sure what kind of problems you are having, but, as far as tech
            support
            > for Chief goes,,, the forums are the way to go IMHO.
            >

            > Ray
            >
            > Hi Ray
            Your absolutly correct but that is part of my problem, while
            suscribing to Chief's new SSA program I talked to Mark in sales and
            explained to him that I could not post or anything else on Chief Talk
            I could only read the post and that I have been a member of the forum
            for years he sent me an e-mail that he had also sent an e-mail to
            Dan Park about my problem,it has been over a week and I haven't heard
            a word I even sent two e-mails from their contact support area,
            with confirmation that my message was sent but no response.
            I had a problem with the prgram on Friday and called Tech support
            spoke with Nigel about the problem he could not solve the issue and
            asked if i would e-mail a copy of the file which i did.
            Then i wanted to aske him if he could find out if my posting
            problem was looked into he informed me that my alotted time had
            expired and he could only work on one problem at a time, (he didn't
            even know what i was going to aske him). So that is why i sked the
            questio about TurboCad as I feel after being a long time user of
            Chief Architect (ver.3.1 - X1) that Chief is slowly going down the
            crapper and maybe it's time like it seems alot of others to look for
            a new program.
            Hope everything is good down there on the Cape as everything up here
            in Salem, MA has come to a very slow crawl.
            Thanks for youre time Don

            > _____

          • Don Tremblay
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
              --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Smith" <mfsmith1@...> wrote:

              > Don: what is the nature of the support you need ?
              >
              > I subscribe to ChiefExperts.com for training and general
              support... that's the group that Dan Bauman runs.

              > Myself.... I'm still using 10.08a
              > I have X1 but haven't used it much. I'm waiting to see what they
              do with 12.

              Hi Mike
              I had thought of looking into Dan's site as I know the quality
              of his product having purchased his training videos (way back when).
              I think i am a member of some type because I get e-mails when he is
              having conferences the problem is that the time they are scheduled for
              seems to be mid-mornig here in the northeast and i'm usualy working.
              I just feel that i paid for tech support when i purchased the product
              (it's in their sales agreement), and now they wan't you to send them
              a yearly subscription to recieve a product that will come out when
              they decide, may work may not (just look at X1)and if they can fix a
              problem you have at tech support, hey that will be a bonus, this is
              all just my oppinion.
              I did sign up for SSA but after having a few Tech support issues this
              past week and seeing how it works it might be time to start looking
              into other programs, if I stay with Chief maybe I'll look into Dan's
              program pay his yearly subscription and only pay for the program
              update when it comes out.
              Thanks Don

              > Mike Smith
              > Design / Build - Rhode Island

              10/31/2008 8:22 AM

            • Jim Hatton
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                Its not Chief the program itself, but the people at chief. They are finding
                more and more to charge for more tech support. There's a post at chief-talk
                that the support now would be only for the new versions of the software.
                Others will pay, I assume, it doesn't say but I am sure its what they are
                getting at. As far as the SSA goes, still have my doubts about it, other
                than the cheap upgrade to X2. But that also depends on what they have
                "improved" with the latest version.. Just my thoughts.

                Jim Hatton

                > Not sure what kind of problems you are having, but, as far as tech
                support
                > for Chief goes,,, the forums are the way to go IMHO.
                >

                > Ray
                >
                > Hi Ray
                Your absolutly correct but that is part of my problem, while
                suscribing to Chief's new SSA program I talked to Mark in sales and
                explained to him that I could not post or anything else on Chief Talk
                I could only read the post and that I have been a member of the forum
                for years he sent me an e-mail that he had also sent an e-mail to
                Dan Park about my problem,it has been over a week and I haven't heard
                a word I even sent two e-mails from their contact support area,
                with confirmation that my message was sent but no response.
                I had a problem with the prgram on Friday and called Tech support
                spoke with Nigel about the problem he could not solve the issue and
                asked if i would e-mail a copy of the file which i did.
                Then i wanted to aske him if he could find out if my posting
                problem was looked into he informed me that my alotted time had
                expired and he could only work on one problem at a time, (he didn't
                even know what i was going to aske him). So that is why i sked the
                questio about TurboCad as I feel after being a long time user of
                Chief Architect (ver.3.1 - X1) that Chief is slowly going down the
                crapper and maybe it's time like it seems alot of others to look for
                a new program.
                Hope everything is good down there on the Cape as everything up here
                in Salem, MA has come to a very slow crawl.
                Thanks for youre time Don

                > _____
                >
                > From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
                > I am finally fed up with chief support or i should say LACK of it,
                > was wondering if anybody uses TurboCad as i have ver.10 and was
                > wondering if i should upgrade.
                > TIA Don

              • Don Tremblay
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Hi Jim
                  Youre right its not the program, but the people at chief. I am using
                  the newest version X1
                  and i signed up for SSA because of the upgrade, but at some point in time
                  you have to make a decision whether to keep investing into something that
                  might be a benefit or not, and will it work properly or have to be worked on
                  .
                  I understand that you do not have to sign up for SSA, that you can pruchase
                  the upgrade for what ever price they decide, and you will have tech support
                  for 90 days, this is great if the program works as advertised but I don't
                  think they'll come right out and tell you "oh! we messed up don't worry
                  youre 90 days will start after we get everything fixed".
                  Don

                  > Not sure what kind of problems you are having, but, as far as tech
                  support
                  > for Chief goes,,, the forums are the way to go IMHO.
                  >

                  > Ray
                  >
                  > Hi Ray
                  Your absolutly correct but that is part of my problem, while
                  suscribing to Chief's new SSA program I talked to Mark in sales and
                  explained to him that I could not post or anything else on Chief Talk
                  I could only read the post and that I have been a member of the forum
                  for years he sent me an e-mail that he had also sent an e-mail to
                  Dan Park about my problem,it has been over a week and I haven't heard
                  a word I even sent two e-mails from their contact support area,
                  with confirmation that my message was sent but no response.
                  I had a problem with the prgram on Friday and called Tech support
                  spoke with Nigel about the problem he could not solve the issue and
                  asked if i would e-mail a copy of the file which i did.
                  Then i wanted to aske him if he could find out if my posting
                  problem was looked into he informed me that my alotted time had
                  expired and he could only work on one problem at a time, (he didn't
                  even know what i was going to aske him). So that is why i sked the
                  questio about TurboCad as I feel after being a long time user of
                  Chief Architect (ver.3.1 - X1) that Chief is slowly going down the
                  crapper and maybe it's time like it seems alot of others to look for
                  a new program.
                  Hope everything is good down there on the Cape as everything up here
                  in Salem, MA has come to a very slow crawl.
                  Thanks for youre time Don

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: chief-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > I am finally fed up with chief support or i should say LACK of it,
                  > was wondering if anybody uses TurboCad as i have ver.10 and was
                  > wondering if i should upgrade.
                  > TIA Don

                • Roger...
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                    As the discussions about the changing nature of support and upgrades at
                    Chief Architect continue, I find my decision to hold onto VectorWorks is
                    looking better all the time. While VectorWorks doesn't do 3D as fast and as
                    easily as Chief, yet, they have made significant progress with their
                    parametric tools, and there isn't much time difference between plan layouts
                    in either product. 3D rendering is far behind in time-savings with
                    VectorWorks 2008, but their new version 2009 seems to have made a
                    significant leap forward that may close the time gap to good renderings:
                    http://www.nemetschek.net/upgrade/ (demo movies available)

                    A major feature in VW is there incredible set of drawing tools, and the
                    information feedback from their cursor technology. Detailing drawings and
                    creating shapes has been a hallmark of VW, and their ViewPort & component
                    class/layer technology makes detailing fast because it never looses the link
                    between the layout and the 2 & 3D detailing. VW isn't constrained to small
                    building construction like Chief, so its ability to create a similar
                    technology to SketchUp is making the product more versatile.

                    Service Support:
                    ----------------
                    It concerns me that the Chief support that been reduced to 90-days. This is
                    a serious issue given the poor performance they've demonstrated in the last
                    two major releases. In the case of Chief 10, it took over a year for them
                    to clean up serious problems, and even then they didn't handle many of the
                    time sinks in the program. Again in Chief X1, those same Chief 10 time sink
                    issues still remain, and now there are other serious issues to add to the
                    "Fix-It" list.

                    Pricing:
                    --------
                    Seeing their attempts at revenue generation without corresponding product
                    fixes tells me they are having serious company problems. If that isn't the
                    case, then I can't understand why they would risk chasing away the small
                    users in their rather large user base during these economic droughts.
                    Something doesn't feel good, and Don's comments on not being able to access
                    their primary technical support portal says the people in place aren't
                    paying attention to the details, or they don't care about what they are
                    doing. Either way it is a concern that makes me glad I kept VectorWorks
                    current. As I write this I find I have almost decided I'll not upgrade
                    Chief again, but will upgrade my 2008 VectorWorks during the Christmas
                    pricing specials.

                    Let's hope this period of angst with Chief is short lived.

                    Roger...

                  • Don Tremblay
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Hi Roger
                      I checked chieftalk again and I was wrong the 90 days is only after
                      X2 is released which means they will only support X1 for 90 days after X2 is
                      out.
                      If you decide to upgrade without SSA then free tech support for X2
                      is only for 30 days, after
                      that it is per $125.00 per incident.
                      Don

                      As the discussions about the changing nature of support and upgrades at
                      Chief Architect continue, I find my decision to hold onto VectorWorks is
                      looking better all the time. While VectorWorks doesn't do 3D as fast and as
                      easily as Chief, yet, they have made significant progress with their
                      parametric tools, and there isn't much time difference between plan layouts
                      in either product. 3D rendering is far behind in time-savings with
                      VectorWorks 2008, but their new version 2009 seems to have made a
                      significant leap forward that may close the time gap to good renderings:
                      http://www.nemetschek.net/upgrade/ (demo movies available)

                      A major feature in VW is there incredible set of drawing tools, and the
                      information feedback from their cursor technology. Detailing drawings and
                      creating shapes has been a hallmark of VW, and their ViewPort & component
                      class/layer technology makes detailing fast because it never looses the link
                      between the layout and the 2 & 3D detailing. VW isn't constrained to small
                      building construction like Chief, so its ability to create a similar
                      technology to SketchUp is making the product more versatile.

                      Service Support:
                      ----------------
                      It concerns me that the Chief support that been reduced to 90-days. This is
                      a serious issue given the poor performance they've demonstrated in the last
                      two major releases. In the case of Chief 10, it took over a year for them
                      to clean up serious problems, and even then they didn't handle many of the
                      time sinks in the program. Again in Chief X1, those same Chief 10 time sink
                      issues still remain, and now there are other serious issues to add to the
                      "Fix-It" list.

                      Pricing:
                      --------
                      Seeing their attempts at revenue generation without corresponding product
                      fixes tells me they are having serious company problems. If that isn't the
                      case, then I can't understand why they would risk chasing away the small
                      users in their rather large user base during these economic droughts.
                      Something doesn't feel good, and Don's comments on not being able to access
                      their primary technical support portal says the people in place aren't
                      paying attention to the details, or they don't care about what they are
                      doing. Either way it is a concern that makes me glad I kept VectorWorks
                      current. As I write this I find I have almost decided I'll not upgrade
                      Chief again, but will upgrade my 2008 VectorWorks during the Christmas
                      pricing specials.

                      Let's hope this period of angst with Chief is short lived.

                      Roger...

                    • Roger...
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                        Hi Don,

                        Thanks for the clarification. Now it seems like staying with Chief is even
                        worse than I thought. Imagine only getting 30-days with a new Chief
                        release. Talk about a disincentive to taking on an upgrade. I suspect the
                        person making these decisions is an accountant with no marketing skills or
                        history of the Chief company. As of today, X1 has been released 17-months
                        and it is still crashing often. It doesn't import Chief 10 plans reliably,
                        so older plans need to be managed in Chief 10.

                        As for tech support, I don't ask many questions, but the few I have asked, I
                        have never had a Chief person provide a solution to a problem. Instead,
                        they tell me they will report the problem to "Engineering", as they
                        parachute out of the issue. I have gotten good answers from the forum by
                        people using Chief, which has made the software workable.

                        In thinking about the fact that Chief Tech Support is now $125 after 30-days
                        even to report a software bug, that certainly is a good strategy. This will
                        keep the number of bugs they have to fix way down, and it will help those
                        writing the code feel better with fewer people complaining. I'll bet this
                        will turn out to be a great way to even better software releases. They
                        should promote the person who made that decision immediately.

                        On a lighter note, I sure hope we find a way to get lucky.

                        Roger...

                      • rrgc@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Roger I have been using chief X1 since it came out like anything new took a
                          little getting use to some of the new features but I use it on a daily bases
                          for doing construction documents and Chief doesn't crash on me at all in fact
                          it has been running with a plan on it for the last 2 days continious and has
                          not crashed at all maybe it is some of your hardware that needs to be
                          updated.

                          RAY
                          RESIDENTIAL DESIGN SERVICES, INC.
                          403 BACON ST
                          JERMYN, PA 18433
                          RRGC@...
                          PHONE: 570-876-3077

                          **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                          5 Travel Deals!

                        • rrspeer
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                            I so agree with you Ray.
                            No problems here
                            Will be buying into their new program myself
                            --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, rrgc@... wrote:

                            > Roger I have been using chief X1 since it came out like anything new
                            took a
                            > little getting use to some of the new features but I use it on a
                            daily bases
                            > for doing construction documents and Chief doesn't crash on me at
                            all in fact
                            > it has been running with a plan on it for the last 2 days
                            continious and has
                            > not crashed at all maybe it is some of your hardware that needs to
                            be
                            > updated.
                            >
                            > RAY
                            > RESIDENTIAL DESIGN SERVICES, INC.
                            > 403 BACON ST
                            > JERMYN, PA 18433
                            > RRGC@...
                            > PHONE: 570-876-3077
                            >

                            > **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out
                            Today's Hot
                            > 5 Travel Deals!
                            > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?
                            redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

                          • Phoenix
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 2, 2008
                              Ditto here. Already bought into SSA (two seats) after calculating that the
                              return will be greater than not subscribing, and that the actual cost is
                              less than I've been paying for 2 seats upgrade over the years (Using Chief
                              since 1997).

                              George VanDusen

                              Phoenix Construction

                              _____

                              Will be buying into their new program myself
                              --- In chief-users@ <mailto:chief-users%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                              rrgc@... wrote:

                              > Roger I have been using chief X1 since it came out like anything new
                              took a
                              > little getting use to some of the new features but I use it on a
                              daily bases
                              > for doing construction documents and Chief doesn't crash on me at
                              all in fact
                              > it has been running with a plan on it for the last 2 days
                              continious and has
                              > not crashed at all maybe it is some of your hardware that needs to
                              be
                              > updated.
                              >
                              > RAY
                              > RESIDENTIAL DESIGN SERVICES, INC.
                              > 403 BACON ST
                              > JERMYN, PA 18433
                              > RRGC@...
                              > PHONE: 570-876-3077
                              >

                              > **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out
                              Today's Hot
                              > 5 Travel Deals!
                              > (http://pr.atwola.
                              <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?>
                              com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?
                              redir=http://travel.
                              <http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001>
                              aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

                            • Marvin Lawley
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                I've been using X1 since shortly after it was released and have not had a
                                crash.

                                Marvin

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  I'll chime in here.

                                  Just started using X1 pretty much full time now except for a couple of 10.o
                                  jobs in progress. I probably would have moved up sooner if there had been
                                  more work around. :-(

                                  I actually think X1 is more stable than 10.o, not that 10.o was unstable for
                                  me but on occasion it would freeze up (direct entry wall heights in
                                  elevation view,,, wham)

                                  As for usability,,, I become more impressed every day. My one big gripe so
                                  far is the LD setup. I still think the 3D column in the LD box is a smoother
                                  working environment.

                                  As for the SSA, looks like a good deal to me and if it's not,,, doesn't much
                                  matter IMHO.

                                  If that's where the program is headed, I'm going with it or change to
                                  another program.

                                  Back to work,, Ray

                                  _____

                                  RRGC@... <mailto:RRGC%40AOL.COM>
                                  PHONE: 570-876-3077

                                  **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                                  5 Travel Deals!
                                  (http://pr.atwola
                                  <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=htt
                                  p://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001>
                                  com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=http://travel.aol.com
                                  /discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

                                • Steve Callaway
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    Me too!
                                    V10 seems clunky whenever I have a reason to go back to it.

                                    Steve Callaway

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
                                      I never said the program wasn't any good have had the program since
                                      ver.3.1 and have upgraded every time to current X1. and i'm glad that
                                      it's working good for everybody, my complaint is with Tech Support.
                                      Here is my Gripe.
                                      1. Called support last week about printer set up problem Tech was
                                      Leanne whom to me seamed like she really didn't want to help. Her
                                      answer to my problem was if your sheet size isn't listed you can't
                                      print out your plans I told her I could before, she just kept
                                      repeating
                                      what she said before, after about an hour wait I called back this
                                      time
                                      getting John within about 5 minutes he had me up and running all I
                                      had
                                      to do was use tabloid.
                                      2. I was empressed with the way John corrected my problem that I
                                      decided to go ahead and sign up for SSA while talking to Mark at sales
                                      I asked if he knew why I could not post on Chief Talk as I have been
                                      member for years and that when I called support the previous day I
                                      got
                                      a recording stating they were at a training session but if I wen't on
                                      the forums and posted maybe somebody could help. He sent me an e-mail
                                      stating he had sent an e-mail to Dan Park about my problem, it has
                                      been
                                      about a well over a week know and i have still not heard anything
                                      even
                                      after sending e-mails to support on their contact us part on Chief
                                      Talk.
                                      3. Last friday I had another problem when I clicked on the icon to
                                      fill
                                      screen my floor plan would shrink to a very small drawing in center
                                      of
                                      the screen. When i called Tech support I spoke with Nigel he could
                                      not
                                      fix my problem and said if I sent him the plan zipped he would look
                                      at
                                      it, told him I would and then I started to ask him about not being
                                      able
                                      to post on Cheif Talk and he informed me my time was up for this
                                      session. I have Not heard anything from him either.
                                      I feel that I am not getting what I paid for I just recieved my sales
                                      reciet for SSA and it even states for Support and Software Assurance,
                                      so my question at the start of this thread was a simple one I have
                                      Turbo Cad and was wondering if anybody else is using it becuase I am
                                      thinking of up grading and was wondering how it was, because I feel
                                      it
                                      just might be time to move on to a different program (I know i'm not
                                      the only one) because I'm not getting what I paid for from Cheif and
                                      Turbo Cads upgrades were never as expensive as Cheifs.
                                      Sorry for being long winded
                                      Don
                                    • LindaIhle@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
                                        I think I'd be calling and asking to speak with someone higher up -
                                        especially since you signed up for the SSA!!!

                                        Linda Ihle
                                        252-449-8422
                                        www.OBXRealEstateOnline.com

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
                                          Me thinks it is a very serious disease spreading throughout the
                                          Software and hardware community, also Sears, etc. etc.
                                          It's amazing at how bad help desks have become, and Chiefs was never
                                          that great to begin with.
                                          That being said, it probably is something on your end, Microsoft has
                                          done an update that your printer does not like. Any number of things
                                          that would take me a couple days to figure out.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
                                            No the problem was I'm using an old Epson 1520 that I bought from Berryvale
                                            years ago and the paper didn't match what I was using, John from Tech
                                            Support explained all I had to do was use the setting of tabloid and set my
                                            paper size and all is fine with printing know. I personally think that the
                                            rest of Tech Support should take lessons from him on how to treat customers
                                            then they might have something there.
                                            Right now I'm trying to figure out other problems with this drawing and it's
                                            getting real frustrating because I don't know if it's me or the program and
                                            no sense in calling Support because I'll never get an answer. Oh well
                                            Thanks Don