some HELP needed ... if possible ....

  • Browns
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 5:41 PM
      Hello chieftains,

      I am drawing a two-storey building (existing) which has a cantilered room above a roofed area below. Chief has decided that this cantilevered room is in the 'too-hard-basket' and is refusing to generate the end wall, and I can't select the side wall in elevation view.

      This has happened to me before, so I think it is a glitch in V10, but ... too bad ... I have to work with it somehow.

      I would love some suggestions of how to work around this.

      I'm thinking of creating a symbol for the roof below (at least the part that 'encroaches' on the room above) and importing it, then pulling back the section of the roof that seems to be preventing the (cantilevered) wall above from generating in 3D.

      Or do you think it would be better to create a symbol for the cantilevered room?

      Either way .... I'm not happy. I just wish I could coax chief into doing WHAT I WANT ..... Aarghh!

      Thankyou in advance for any suggestions/ideas you might be able to come up with.

      Cheers,

      Lenita
    • Mike McKay
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 5:45 PM
        I may not have a clear mental picture of what you want, but can you pull the
        roof back from the second floor area or create a hole in the roof? Roofs cut
        walls, so can you pull the roof out of the way?

        Good luck Lenita!
        Mike McKay

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 6:01 PM
          Mike,

          Thankyou for your suggestion.

          Yes, I can pull the lower roof back. Trouble is, the room above cantilevers about 2 metres above the roof below - so the existing roof passes underneath it .... and has a rooflight in the section I would be pulling back as well (just to complicate matters!).

          I am experimenting with creating a 3D slab for the roof, a symbol for the rooflight, and then pulling back the roof to see if that looks 'passable'!! So very frustrating!

          Lenita

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1 6:04 PM
            You're right, Chief won't let you do that (I don't know about vX1). I would
            think the easiest way would be to create a symbol of the whole lower roof,
            skylight and all. Maybe set it on the room after setting up a "flat roof"
            where the ceiling joists would be...
            Good luck

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1 6:31 PM
              Thankyou, Mike.

              I was truly hoping that it might be a bit easier ... oh well .....

              I've still run into difficulties because once I pull the roof back, chief won't let me create a room without a ceiling (ie sloped ceiling) below the cantilevered room, and wants the ceiling to be directly under the cantilevered floor .................................

              So, I'll just have to create a very thick floor 'platform' and then do some adjusting in layout ...

              I created the 'roof' using polyline slab and created a rooflight symbol - placed that in the roof. If all this doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion instead .... thankyou!

              Cheers,

              Lenita