Chief woes

  • Steve Callaway
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi All

      I am in the process of installing the latest patch on my Hp DV8000 laptop.
      I started at about 9:30am this morning and at 7:00pm it is still updating - 68%.
      Flaming ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! The laptop is only about 18 months old - 1.83Ghz core duo.
      Not at all slow on other applications.

      Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

      I have noticed that even the desktop PC was very slow.
      It would be quicker to reinstall Chief than to do an update.

      On a different note - I was adding text to an elevation and copy/pasted on the same elevation.
      I then edited it and clicked OK, hit esc to deselect and it disappeared. Zoom to fill window found it out near Mars.
      It happened in several occasions.

      Has anyone else experienced the same?

      Regards
      Steve

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Avon Valley Drafting Service
      Northam - Western Australia
      Steve Callaway
      Phone/Fax (08) 9622 2816
      Mobile 0419 909 485
      email avds@...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "This Electronic Mail Message and its attachments are confidential. If you
      are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information
      contained in it. If you have received this Electronic Mail Message in error,
      please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete
      the message and any associated attachments. While every care is taken, it is
      recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses."

    • Steve Callaway
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi all

        The update just suddenly finished - 10 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        I have just checked and yes it does work.

        Regards
        Steve

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          I looked up the specs of your laptop and it appears quite adequate
          for what you want to use it for. I would suspect your Internet
          connection as the villain or perhaps a transient problem with the
          servers at Chief (I have not had such problems with their servers
          since version 6 though). Any X1 problems you are having will be fixed
          by the patch or at least until the next patch is released.

          DJP

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hi David

            Thanks for the reply.
            The 10 hours were for the installation of the patch after I had downloaded it.
            Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

            Regards
            Steve

            I looked up the specs of your laptop and it appears quite adequate
            for what you want to use it for. I would suspect your Internet
            connection as the villain or perhaps a transient problem with the
            servers at Chief (I have not had such problems with their servers
            since version 6 though). Any X1 problems you are having will be fixed
            by the patch or at least until the next patch is released.

            DJP

            --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Callaway" <avds@...> wrote:

            > Hi All
            >
            > I am in the process of installing the latest patch on my Hp DV8000
            laptop.
            > I started at about 9:30am this morning and at 7:00pm it is still
            updating - 68%.
            > Flaming ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! The laptop is only about 18 months
            old - 1.83Ghz core duo.
            > Not at all slow on other applications.
            >
            > Has anyone else had the same thing happen?
            >
            > I have noticed that even the desktop PC was very slow.
            > It would be quicker to reinstall Chief than to do an update.
            >

            > On a different note - I was adding text to an elevation and
            copy/pasted on the same elevation.
            > I then edited it and clicked OK, hit esc to deselect and it
            disappeared. Zoom to fill window found it out near Mars.
            > It happened in several occasions.
            >
            > Has anyone else experienced the same?
            >

            > Regards
            > Steve
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > Avon Valley Drafting Service
            > Northam - Western Australia
            > Steve Callaway
            > Phone/Fax (08) 9622 2816
            > Mobile 0419 909 485
            > email avds@...
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > "This Electronic Mail Message and its attachments are
            confidential. If you
            > are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the
            information
            > contained in it. If you have received this Electronic Mail Message
            in error,
            > please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and
            delete
            > the message and any associated attachments. While every care is
            taken, it is
            > recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses."

          • Steven Martinez
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
              Steve
              Try Turning off your laptop for a few minutes. Not a
              reboot, but off. Then restart and try downloading the
              upgrade again. see if this doesn't speed it up.
              I hope this helps.
              Steve
              WestCoast Home Designs
              Corona, Ca

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Steve Callaway
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
                Thanks for the reply Steve.
                Sorry I obviously didn't make it clear that this was for the installation after I had downloaded the patch.
                It did eventually finish installing after about 10 hours!
                Thankfully it does work after all that