Invoice and billing detail

  • Arlan Crane
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5 2:26 PM
      I have a question about invoices and billing.
      Under an hourly fee contract (billable and payable monthly), is it
      appropriate for an architect / designer to detail on the invoice the
      number of hours worked on any given day, the person doing the work,
      their billable rate, and a brief description of the work (design)
      being done? Or is it appropriate to simply specify the total of hours
      worked during the month without any additional detail?

      Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
      Arlan
    • rrgc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5 2:34 PM
        Arlan I do a detail billing this way there is no questions of the scope of
        work you did on the print and how long it has taken to do it.

        RAY
        RESIDENTIAL DESIGN SERVICES, INC.
        403 BACON ST
        JERMYN, PA 18433
        RRGC@...
        570-876-3077

      • Carey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5 4:11 PM
          Me too.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5 4:13 PM
            Arlan,

            This is an interesting question. On the surface a breakdown as you
            describe

            Seems simple, straight forward and without concern. On the other hand, I
            for one,

            Work intermittently on plans as time, creative juices and lower lumbar pain
            allow.

            I don't know how this scattering of time would look to a client. I know it
            works for

            Me but is that enough to satisfy them? I think if you explain the "reality"
            of your

            Work habits in an off handed manner to the client it may be no problem. It
            also

            Depends on the type of business you do. I do only remodel work that
            requires

            Thought to overcome existing space parameters and I often explain this to
            customers

            In my initial meeting(s). If however you are knocking out drawings for a
            builder things

            May look/work differently. I choose not to lay out the detail for scrutiny.
            A simple way

            to avoid all of this is to do fixed fee. I have done/do both and have had
            no problem to

            date. (but then there's tomorrow ;o} ).

            Do what you are comfortable with as you will be more genuine when you
            explain it to

            Your potential customers.

            Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR

            Gavin Design-Build Inc.

            1072 Palmers Mill Rd.

            Media, PA. 19063

            610-353-8890

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5 7:29 PM
              I suppose if you bill by the hour that would be the way to do it.

              But we bill flat-rate most of the time and give a short terse
              description of what we will be doing for that rate.

              So far nobody has asked for more detail or itemization.

              I did have a bad experience working on an emergency task by the
              hour. I waited till the task was solved and then sent an invoice for
              $2K. The client was surprised and refused to pay till I threatened
              him with a mechanics lien.

              In the future I will send a daily summary, such as fixed roof
              and added terrain $$$ today. $$$ total to-date.

              that way no surprises.

              Lew

              --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Arlan Crane" <arlcrane@...> wrote:

              > I have a question about invoices and billing.
              > Under an hourly fee contract (billable and payable monthly), is it
              > appropriate for an architect / designer to detail on the invoice the
              > number of hours worked on any given day, the person doing the work,
              > their billable rate, and a brief description of the work (design)
              > being done? Or is it appropriate to simply specify the total of hours
              > worked during the month without any additional detail?
              >
              > Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
              > Arlan

            • cabd432003
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6 12:38 PM
                --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Arlan Crane" <arlcrane@...> wrote:

                I have used QuickBooks Pro for a number of years to track timing using
                the timer. There is no way I could have tracked all the time
                accurately without it. I takes very little time to set up and is a
                great way of keeping track of customers and job details. I tried to
                keep track manually in the beginning and found it impossible. I hope
                this helps.

                Clovis Busselle

                > I have a question about invoices and billing.
                > Under an hourly fee contract (billable and payable monthly), is it
                > appropriate for an architect / designer to detail on the invoice the
                > number of hours worked on any given day, the person doing the work,
                > their billable rate, and a brief description of the work (design)
                > being done? Or is it appropriate to simply specify the total of hours
                > worked during the month without any additional detail?
                >
                > Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
                > Arlan

              • Ray, Plans That Work
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6 2:22 PM
                  I'll second that Clovis

                  Each invoice shows the date of the work,, the time spent,,, the memo,,,
                  amount per and totals. Invoicing takes seconds, a couple of clicks and out
                  the door.

                  I make it point to inform the clients that some days there may be only one
                  or two hours work performed on their projects while other may hit ten hours.
                  That's the biz!

                  I also have a client named "Downtime",,,, you know,,,, just to keep track of
                  the amount of time spent with computer maintenance and clerical work. After
                  a while I get a picture of how much time per week I spend making money and
                  how much I don't!

                  now, if I could only hit the lotto,,, Ray

                  God Bless America
                  Ray@...
                  PlansThatWork.com <http://plansthatwork.com/>

                  _____