New to Chief 10

  • Tresa
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      Just received my Chief 10 version. Yeah!!!
      Before I install . . .
      Would like to hear some advice on using Chief 10. Is operating that
      much different than Version 8 ??

      Also do I need to download any updates/patches right away?

      Any Advice before I switch will be so appreciated.

      Tresa from NM.
    • Lewis Buttery
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Yes, there are many things that are different, but also many
        that are the same. There is a list of new features on CA's website.

        Ver 9.x added a lot of new stuff and ver 10.x added even more.

        Did you get the 7 CD training set ?
        If not, you should consider getting them as part of
        the "enterprise" package with a "special" price. If you just got your
        upgrade it's probably possible to order them.

        You should update to ver 10.08a right away, many things have
        been fixed/added.

        It would be best not to start any critical projects in ver 10
        until you have oriented yourself with the new features.

        Lew

        --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "Tresa" <tresfavian@...> wrote:

        > Just received my Chief 10 version. Yeah!!!
        > Before I install . . .
        > Would like to hear some advice on using Chief 10. Is operating that
        > much different than Version 8 ??
        >
        > Also do I need to download any updates/patches right away?
        >
        > Any Advice before I switch will be so appreciated.
        >
        > Tresa from NM.

      • Jon Ford
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          Tresa,
          Make a new folder somewhere in "My Documents" and copy the material.dat file, the libraries, in case they get corrupted in the long run.

          You should download all the added libraries, "if you'd have any use for them" I don't need them at all, but save them in a folder and install if you wish.

          See, I don't do interior design, nor renderings, I use this program to make working drawings, and much of the library is useless interior decor items not needed to do plain construction drawings.

          Enjoy your new version!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
            Thanks Lew for the Valuable Tidbits.

            I did not realize the 7 CD Training is that much "Extra".
            I'm sure it's invaluable to have.
            It costs almost as much as a Training Seminar.

            I guess I'll Start by playing with Chief 10 and see if I can get a
            grasp. Do you get the Same Material covered in the Training Videos by
            looking in the Manual ?

            Thanks Again !! Tres.
          • Lewis Buttery
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
              Not really, the vid's are much better for showing "how" to use the
              tool. The manual usually just shows that there is a tool.

              considering the cost of training, the vids are cheap and you can
              watch them as often as needed, when needed. etc.

              check out getting the vids now as part of the "enterprise" package
              they are much cheaper that way. Call customer service.

              The vids are definitely worth the cost.