RE: [chief-users] RE: Backup software

  • Ted Terrenzio
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
      Gordon,

      The following links promoting a specific software seem to provide good explanation to the different types of backup procedures and their advantages and disadvantages.

      What is full backup?
      http://www.backup4all.com/full_backup.php

      What is differential backup?
      http://www.backup4all.com/differential_backup.php

      What is incremental backup?
      http://www.backup4all.com/incremental_backup.php

      What is mirror backup?
      http://www.backup4all.com/mirror_backup.php

      Ted

      ---- <chief-users@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Here are a few more programs to look at:
      >
      > http://www.snapfiles.com/Shareware/system/swbackup.html
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > ---- <chief-users@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > >
      > > Recomendation from an IT Director employed at a Pennsylvania State University is SyncBack.
      > >
      > > http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwbackup.html
      > >
      > > http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/SyncBack/SyncBack.html
      > >
      > > Ted

    • Ted Terrenzio
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
        Gordon,<br>
        Take a look at the following link for more information and tutorials relating to Backup AND Synchronizing.<br>
        http://www.2brightsparks.com/tutorials/tutorials-hub.html<br>
        I consider trying to learn or understand the following important:<br>

            on different drives, different computers (via
        networked <br>

                drives), different devices (e.g.
        a USB memory key), or <br>

                    even over the
        Internet via FTP.<br>

                   - Raid 5 (Striping
        with parity; hardware)<br>

                    - differential
        backup<br>

            - incremental backup<br>

                    - mirror
        backup <br>
            - Media choices different types of tape, CDRW, CDR,
        DVD. Consider media cost.<br>

                    - Offsite media
        storage<br>

                    - Password Security<br>
        When selecting harddrives, disc burners and tape drives consider
        data transmission speeds. In addition to device data speeds identify
        your existing connection limitations ie: USB1, USB2, Firewire, Internal
        / External SCSI, etc. Also consider benefits / expense of internal vs.
        external devices.<br>
        Currently updating sync, redundancy, backup and archival equipment, software and procedures.<br>
        Any suggestions / corrections from other forum members would be appreciated.<br>
        Thanks.<br>
        Ted<br>
        ---- <chief-users@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<br>
        > Gordon,<br>
        > The following links promoting a specific software<br>
        seem to provide good explanation to the different<br>
        types of backup procedures and their advantages and<br>
        disadvantages.<br>
        > What is full backup?<br>
        > http://www.backup4all.com/full_backup.php<br>
        > What is differential backup?<br>
        > What is incremental backup?<br>
        > What is mirror backup?<br>
        > http://www.backup4all.com/mirror_backup.php<br>
        > Ted<br>
        > ---- <chief-users@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<br>
        > > Here are a few more programs to look at:<br>
        > > Ted<br>
        > > ---- <chief-users@yahoogroups.com> wrote:<br>
        > > > Recomendation from an IT Director employed<br>
        at a Pennsylvania State University is SyncBack.<br>
        > > > Ted<br>
        hours work in V9.5 trying to be<br>
        situation as once a plan is<br>
        it again and realise that it is<br>
        can copy everything to a separate<br>
        at regular intervals. A couple of<br>
        Max Humphries was working on<br>
        time I used it was very useful<br>
        in the project for the effort<br>
        > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor<br>
        > =<br>
        > = Chief-Users File Vault:<br>
        > =<br>
        > = Chief-Users Photos and Images:<br>
        > =<br>
        > = Chief-Users Contact List:<br>
        > =<br>
        > =<br>
        > Yahoo! Groups Links<br>
        > <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:<br>
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chief-users/<br>
        > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email<br>
        to:<br>
        > chief-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<br>
        > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:<br>
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<br>
      • Ted Terrenzio
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
          Reformatted post; try it again.

          Gordon,

          Take a look at the following link for more information and tutorials relating to Backup AND Synchronizing.

          http://www.2brightsparks.com/tutorials/tutorials-hub.html

          I consider trying to learn or understand the following important:

          Synchronizing - synchronize files between two different directories on different drives, different computers (via networked drives), different devices (e.g.a USB memory key), or even over the Internet via FTP.

          Redundancy - Raid 1 (Mirror; hardware or software)

          - Raid 5 (Striping with parity; hardware)
          Backup - full backup
          - differential backup
          - incremental backup
          - mirror backup

          Archieving - Media choices different types of tape, CDRW, CDR,DVD. Consider media cost.
          - Offsite media storage
          - Password Security

          When selecting harddrives, disc burners and tape drives consider data transmission speeds. In addition to device data speeds identify your existing connection limitations ie: USB1, USB2, Firewire, Internal / External SCSI, etc. Also consider benefits / expense of internal vs. external devices.

          Currently updating sync, redundancy, backup and archival equipment, software and procedures.

          Any suggestions / corrections from other forum members would be appreciated.

          Thanks.