Re: [chief-users] Default Wall Types

  • cstanly
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
      Lewis,
      I assume that default wood frame is not available because floor 0 is the
      foundation. Just add a new wall that meets your needs to the menu by
      clicking on "define" and then "new".
      Carey Stanly
      Lake Conroe Texas

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
        I use pl0 for simple finished space, but for real living area, I usually use
        pl1. I've done it so long I don't remember why!

        Mike

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
          By foundation do you mean basement ? Cause a basement can be
          finished and have interior walls.

          The understanding that I am reaching is that floor 0 can be a
          finished basement and not just reserved for exterior foundation
          walls.

          I am trying to avoid defining wall types as I will be doing as-
          builts and it's seems unnecessary to build walls that I have no idea
          how they are layered. By using the defaults I can enter the
          thickness and move on.

          --- In chief-users@yahoogroups.com, "cstanly" <cstanly@c...> wrote:
          > Lewis,
          > I assume that default wood frame is not available because floor 0
          is the
          > foundation. Just add a new wall that meets your needs to the menu
          by
          > clicking on "define" and then "new".
          > Carey Stanly
          > Lake Conroe Texas

        • Fitch R. Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
            On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:50:09 -0000, "Lewis Buttery" <lbuttery@...>
            wrote:

            > The understanding that I am reaching is that floor 0 can be a
            >finished basement and not just reserved for exterior foundation
            >walls.

            Absolutely!

            Fitch
          • mkdesignco@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
              We use several walls that are just air gaps of various dimension, named
              existing "thickness", whatever the thickness may be - don't show up in BOM if
              that matters, you can always give them a skin if you're rendering and dont want
              global material assignments.

              MattK

            • Lewis Buttery
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2005
                Just curious, why not use the default walls and set the
                thickness on the general tab of the wall dbx ?

              • mkdesignco@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Then I'd have to set every wall. I suppose I could adjust my template now
                  that CA allows multiple wall selects. Instead, I have numerous standard existing
                  wall thicknesses in my template. I can globally edit a wall thickness to
                  make fractional adjustments (ie, 8" set to 7.75" or to 8.25"). I can globally
                  apply different materials for elevations\renders. Also, and I'd have to go
                  check this, I don't think I can set materials, fills or lineweights for the
                  default wall. I tend to resist using anything I can't exercise control over.
                  MattK

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005
                    >>> "I can globally edit a wall thickness to
                    >>> make fractional adjustments (ie, 8" set to 7.75" or to 8.25")"

                    I still new at this so my understanding is still a little
                    confused. We started to use the default walls cause we thought
                    walls with layers couldn't set the thickness on the general tab of
                    the wall dbx. Please clarify how you are making the thickness
                    changes to your wall definitions as this method could be very helpful
                    to us.

                    >>> "I don't think I can set materials, fills or lineweights for
                    >>> the default wall."

                    In ver. 9.54 you can assign materials to the default walls but I
                    don't know about fills and lineweights as we haven't gotten that far
                    yet.

                    I have found that the default concrete used for floor 0 causes a
                    "seam/gap" to appear between floor 0 and floor 1 during renders
                    and would be unsightly if floor 0 is above ground.

                    so we are thinking of always setting the basement as floor 1 and
                    reserving floor 0 for the foundation.

                    We are still looking for the best way to handle wall thickness's
                    and floor 0 for as-builts where we don't know what the layers are.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005
                      I set the wall thickness in the wall definition DBX - set the thickness by
                      wall type, not by the individual wall, then assign the correct wall type and
                      start drawing.
                      MattK

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2005
                        I get it now, thanks

                        This method would work sometimes but for the house I am working
                        on there are 5 different thickness's for the exterior walls.

                        Probably unusual but it is a circa 1900 row house and ...