[chief-users] chief aritect for sale $499

  • rhbuilds@comcat.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
      get them while they last www.rhbuilds.com/software

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/chief-users
    • MKDesignCo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
        Richard:

        I hope anyone looking to purchase through a dealer uses DBTec, Berryvale or
        one of the other dealers who make such valuable contributions to this user
        support group!!!! Maybe you could spend some time online offering support to
        end users.

        Matt

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/chief-users
      • Richard Harding
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
          At $499 there is exactly $82 in profit in the sale of Chief Architect.

          Compucon offers unlimited telephone technical support to our customers on their
          toll call. Included in that is Internet support for designs sent to us via
          e-mail.

          One of the things people often forget is that technical support is not offered
          by all Chief Architect dealers. Chief Architect is a very easy to use program
          but users still need technical support.

          I think a message that needs to be considered by buyers and potential buyers is
          the value independent Chief Architect dealers add to a product that is used to
          design multi-million dollar houses. Unfortunately many buyers are focused on
          price rather than value. This focus tends to attract customers to the buiders
          and remodellers that are likewise focused on price rather than value.

          Compucon also offers a free monthly user group meeting here in Menlo Park
          California on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 7:00 PM to 9:00 to anyone who
          shows up.

          We also tell people about this list server on our web page.

          Your message sounded more like a threat than an invitation. Is this forum for
          mutual support or for intimidation of those you don't feel comply with your
          perceptions? Is Big Brother going to try to put me out of business?

          Dick

          MKDesignCo@... wrote:

          > Richard:
          >
          > I hope anyone looking to purchase through a dealer uses DBTec, Berryvale or
          > one of the other dealers who make such valuable contributions to this user
          > support group!!!! Maybe you could spend some time online offering support to
          > end users.
          >
          > Matt

          > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/chief-users

          Richard Harding, President

          Compucon Inc.

          (800) 457-2806

          Dealer for Chief Architect
          World's Easiest CAD Program

          http://www.compuconcal.com

          also Dealers for ARM Laptops
          w. 14.2" screens

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
            Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/chief-users/?start=4072

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
              Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/chief-users/?start=4074

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
                rharding@... writes:

                > Compucon also offers a free monthly user group meeting here in Menlo Park
                > California on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 7:00 PM to 9:00 to anyone
                > who
                > shows up.
                >
                > We also tell people about this list server on our web page.
                >
                > Your message sounded more like a threat than an invitation. Is this forum
                > for
                > mutual support or for intimidation of those you don't feel comply with your
                > perceptions? Is Big Brother going to try to put me out of business?

                Dick:

                I'm not sure what the threat might be but I certainly apologize. My point was
                that I would hope to see dealers who contribute to this group getting the
                financial support of this group.
                The post I was responding to made no mention of Compucon, a name I have seen
                contribute support to this group on numerous occasions. I did browse the web
                page linked to the post and it was for a dealer, RHSoft, who I don't
                recollect seeing contributing to this group.
                Your "Big Brother" reference leads me to believe you may be attributing my
                post to ART???? I have no affiliation w/ART other than being a CA user.

                Matt

                Matt

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 1999
                  Matt,

                  I have to appologize too. I saw Richard and turned red. Sorry. I really love this
                  software but it has been difficult to make money selling it. The life of a dealer
                  is not easy.

                  I constantly have people designing literally multi-million dollar homes with who
                  constatnly bitch about it's inadequacies when they don't know the software very
                  well. I have been beta testing, and supporting this software since May 1991 and I
                  love to help people with it.

                  I would be more helpful on this forum if I got a little encouragement. This has
                  not been a money maker for me. Then I see clowns selling it and a discount and not
                  offering support and it is upsetting.

                  You may not have experienced as I have the panic in users who call me up the night
                  before a presentation on a million dollar home and they can't get something to
                  work right. Technical support is an important part of a product like this.

                  This forum is helpful I'm sure but I would suggest there be some threads on value
                  oriented sales with Chief and the value of Chief itself.

                  Again, Sorry Matt!

                  Dick

                • effectiv@highway1.com.au
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 1999
                    Hi Dick et al,

                    I agree with these sentiments entirely.... I makes me sick to see people who call themselves professionals 'bastardising' the software market like this. But then too, only a complete idiot would buy software from someone who takes no responsibility for supporting it!

                    This mob must be real 'desperates'... because at around $80 a unit gross margin... less costs too... you'd think their efforts would be more profitably spent elsewhere... like sticking to building... or maybe they can only compete in that market on price too... all care, no responsibility. "Yes Mr client, so you got a problem with the framing in the home we built for you? Can't help you there... go talk to our framing contractor".

                    I personally would like to see a situation were only people who contract with ART to provide their own 'first line' technical support to their customers can be dealers... ART have stipulated that as a requirement in our (Australian) market but it should apply everwhere.

                    On the question of dealers offering more support to the group... personally I find it difficult to do this unless it is purely a question about functionality in Chief. This is because our building methods (solid masonary) and measurement systems (Metric) differ greatly from the USA, which is where most of the eGroups subscribers reside.

                    Best regards

                    Ian Hughes - Perth, Western Australia

                    eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/chief-users
                  • Mike McKay
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 1999
                      Hey, if you want a low price and limited support you buy from Wal-Mart. If
                      you need and can afford top of the line support, buy from a specialized
                      dealer. Sometimes the dealers trash Wal-Mart, but we let the users decide.
                      It's a free market, after all.

                      Mike McKay
                      McKay General Contractors

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 1999
                        Mike,

                        You are right! It is a free market but is also important for an experienced
                        group like this one to inform people that although Chief is sold as an
                        easy-to-use CAD program, designing a house is not always easy even with Chief.
                        Some who a new to computers and especially CAD but Chief thinking that the
                        automatic tools will do everything with no problems. This is not true.

                        The easiest customers to support are the ones that have agonized over autoCAD or
                        DataCAD or some other line drawing tool before they find Chief Architect. They
                        are experienced designers and fall in love with Chief's ease of use.

                        It is much more difficult to support customers who are new to computers and CAD
                        who have no clue as to how hard it is to use CAD software. We sell Chief as a
                        very easy to use software which it is but that is a comparitive. I have had new
                        Chief customers cuss me out because it wouldn't automatically draw a porch roof
                        the night before a presentation.

                        The problem is one of great expectations of the inexperienced. If they buy into
                        the marketing lingo (which happens to be true) but they don't understand what
                        that fully means, then they get very disappointed about small things. People get
                        very upset with Chief Architect not because they hate it but because they love
                        it but it doesn't do everything the way they would like it to.

                        This is a real problem with what I call "lego block" CAD.

                        Dick

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3, 1999
                          Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/chief-users/?start=4122

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3, 1999
                            Mike,

                            The bottom line is you don't buy CAD software - you marry it! Like a wife it
                            changes how you look at life, how you communicate with everyone and how they
                            perceive you.

                            Buying discount software is a shotgun wedding at best. :-)

                            Dick