Re: [chief-users] Custom linetypes

  • Geoffrey L Francis
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi Glenn and Tim

      Thanks for the tips on linetype customisation.
      I tried Glenn's idea of opening "Material.dat" in Notepad. I copied a line, then modified the text, saved and closed Notepad, rebooted. When I opened Chief 8, drew a line and tried to change the line style to my new linetype, it is unavailable for selection. When I check "material.dat" again, the new linetype appears to have been saved. Any clues as to what I failed to do correctly or did wrong?

      Thanks

      Geoff Francis MBDAWA
      Warnbro Western Australia

    • Tim O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2002
        Did you change the header line to a new name? If not the program will only
        recognize the first linetype with the same name...in the example below you
        would only need to change the name (DIT-DAH) after the *(asterisk) and
        before the first comma..the rest of the line is simply a description that is
        not used by Chief, but it is useful when editing, as this is where you enter
        a description of the line, but it is not needed for a linetype to be usable

        Example:

        Line 1 is the header, such as "*DIT-DAH, . __ . __ . __" , where:

        * (Asterisk)
        Indicates the start of a new linetype definition. DIT-DAH Name of the
        linetype.

        , (Comma)
        Separates the name from the description.

        . __ . __
        Describes the linetype (to a maximum of 47 characters)

        > Thanks for the tips on linetype customisation.
        > I tried Glenn's idea of opening "Material.dat" in Notepad. I copied a
        line, then modified the text, saved and closed Notepad, rebooted. When I
        opened Chief 8, drew a line and tried to change the line style to my new
        linetype, it is unavailable for selection. When I check "material.dat"
        again, the new linetype appears to have been saved. Any clues as to what I
        failed to do correctly or did wrong?

        > Thanks
        >
        > Geoff Francis MBDAWA
        > Warnbro Western Australia
      • Geoffrey L Francis
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2002
          Thanks Tim

          I had neglected to change the text to be inserted in the line, so it was recognised as the same as it's "parent" linetype.

          (Original linestyle was)
          *SIDEWALK,Sidewalk ----S / W----S / W----S / W----S / W----S / W----S / W--
          A,.25,-.2,["S / W",STANDARD,S=.0625,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25,.258,.01,-.08

          (Did a CTRL/C, CTRL/V and modified new linestyle as follows)
          *RETICULATION,Reticulation ----RET----RET----RET----RET----RET----RET--
          A,.25,-.2,["S / W",STANDARD,S=.0625,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25,.258,.01,-.08
          (Obviously I should have changed "S / W" on second line to something different)

          (Changed "S / W" to "RET" and it worked a treat)
          *RETICULATION,Reticulation ----RET----RET----RET----RET----RET----RET--
          A,.25,-.2,["RET",STANDARD,S=.0625,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25,.258,.01,-.08

          Sometimes I "can't see for looking" (but my wife has mentioned this problem once or twice before). So I guess I'll just join the Queue that Ed started!

          Regards
          Geoff Francis
          Warnbro Western Australia

          > Thanks for the tips on linetype customisation.
          > I tried Glenn's idea of opening "Material.dat" in Notepad. I copied a
          line, then modified the text, saved and closed Notepad, rebooted. When I
          opened Chief 8, drew a line and tried to change the line style to my new
          linetype, it is unavailable for selection. When I check "material.dat"
          again, the new linetype appears to have been saved. Any clues as to what I
          failed to do correctly or did wrong?

          > Thanks
          >
          > Geoff Francis MBDAWA
          > Warnbro Western Australia

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          =
          = To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

        • Gordon Martinsen
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hi all

            Hardware freaks and renderers might be interested
            in this site with a good comparison between GeForce3 ti 200 and GeForce4 MX440

            http://www.hardwarepub.com/reviews/video/evgamx440/index_5.shtml

            This is their conclusion:

            The eVGA GeForce4 MX 440's performance and features are outstanding for the
            low price. This card would make an awesome upgrade for original GeForce2 MX
            users. The eVGA GeForce4 MX 440 also performs somewhat better than the ATi
            Radeon 7500 and like wise the GeForce2 Titanium. However, GeForce3 users
            should not consider any GeForce4 MX 440-based video card as a viable
            upgrade option.

            I think I might try the MX400 and do some tests - it will be better than
            what I have even if not the ultimate.

            Cheers

            Gordon Martinsen
            Martinsen Architectural Design