Re: [chief-users] Yahoo, ads, etc.

  • Bill Shideler
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
      Me too.

      Bill Shideler
      Bill@...
      http://www.HomesByDesign.ws
      360.798.3144
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: MKDesignCo@...
      To: chief-users@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:24 AM
      Subject: Re: [chief-users] Yahoo, ads, etc.

      In a message dated 02/01/2002 8:05:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      bill@... writes:

      > So, what does everyone else think?

      Bill:
      Well stated. I'm with you.
      Matt

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      =
      = To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

    • MKDesignCo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
        bill@... writes:

        > So, what does everyone else think?

        Bill:
        Well stated. I'm with you.
        Matt

      • rsweet37
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
          Bill,
          To answer your question "So, what does everyone else think?"

          The ads on Yahoo Chief-Users Group are really obnoxious. But I guess
          we get what we paid for. Since it is a free service I did not see
          any point in complaining about them. Yahoo has to get revenue some
          way to keep in business. I have just gotten use to ignoring them.
          So now it is just the minor inconvenience of a few more clicks to get
          through them.

          The value of the information on the Chief-Users group is so great
          that I willing to put up with the $%#(@&%$^ ads. I prefer to read
          the Chief posting online versus getting them in my email. I have
          tested Caleb's new web site and it is very promising. It is nice to
          be able to view the postings without the ads.

          However, the feature I like with the Yahoo group is the ability to
          click through the postings in chronological order. I find it quicker
          to read them that way versus opening each thread and going to the
          bottom to find the new info. Caleb has said he is working on giving
          us the ability to read the posts chronologically. Hope he is able to
          develop that option. Once he is able to get it implemented I will
          switch over to his site to read the posts.

          Since Caleb's site is a mirror image of the Yahoo site it would seem
          to make sense to keep the Yahoo site active business as usual. If
          people like to read the ads they could view the posts on Yahoo. If
          they don't like ads they could view them on Caleb's site. This way
          if Caleb's site goes down or Caleb decides he needs a vacation :-)
          people could still access the posts on the Yahoo site.

          Guess that's my 2 cents. I want to thank you and Caleb for the work
          you guys have done to give us a professional (most of the time :-) )
          open forum to get great help on Chief. I have learned a lot here and
          I hope to learn more in the future.

          Thanks…Bob Sweet

          --- In chief-users@y..., "Bill Blake" <bill@b...> wrote:
          > Dale,
          >
          > I don't typically use the Yahoo! Groups website to view messages
          since I
          > receive them all through e-mail and have them automatically sent to
          > 'Chief-Users' folder. I just checked out the Yahoo! Groups website
          though,
          > and yes the advertisements are presented in a rather annoying
          fashion.

          > I'm hoping they figure out this doesn't work pretty soon. Caleb is
          working
          > on an exciting alternative to Yahoo! Groups which is capable is
          > synchronizing messages with Yahoo! Groups, but this MAY violate the
          Yahoo
          > groups terms of service agreement -- I'm not sure. I am fairly
          certain that
          > it's not what they have in mind since it eliminates the need to read
          > messages on the advertising supported Yahoo group site.
          Regardless, I'm
          > certainly not going to complain about it.
          >
          > Chief-Users has been around since I started it in Sept. 1998 and
          has over
          > 900 members, though many of those accounts are probably inactive.
          First
          > eGroups and now Yahoo Groups hosts over 35000 archived and
          searchable
          > messages readable by anyone, though membership is required for
          posting.
          > They also give us a 20MB file storage area, and a 30MB photo/image
          storage
          > area, and several other useful features.
          >
          > My feeling is that we can deal with the advertisements as long as
          they don't
          > go from obnoxious to obscene, and hopefully they'll come up with a
          better
          > way to present them once they get enough complaints or figure out
          it's not
          > working. Or at least I hope it's not working -- who is clicking on
          those
          > ads, anyway? :-)
          >
          > I like what ART has done with ChiefTalk (though I haven't had time
          > participate), but I feel we need to maintain a user-supported forum
          that
          > isn't moderated by them. Back in '98 you could post messages about
          bugs
          > that would mysteriously never show up on the ChiefTalk group,
          though things
          > have changes significantly since then. Caleb's alternative is
          nice, but
          > there are some things to consider there as well.
          >
          > Though the Yahoo TOS agreement indicates that they could drop the
          service at
          > any time with or without notice, to me it has more of a feeling of
          > permanence than something hosted by a single person. We've
          experienced very
          > little downtime in the past 3 1/2 years and no one has had to offer
          anything
          > but their time to keep things going. If we were to eventually
          switch over
          > to a privately owned server such as Caleb's then we'd be 'out of
          business'
          > if something happened to him, his server, or his generosity. I do
          think
          > it's good to have a backup or alternative, and hopefully this won't
          cause
          > problems with Yahoo.
          >
          > So, what does everyone else think?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Bill@b...

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • David Velderman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
            I'm puzzled as to why I receive all of the Email from this users group
            without the adds. Am I just lucky?!

            David

> [...]

            nice, but
            > there are some things to consider there as well.
            >
            > Though the Yahoo TOS agreement indicates that they could drop the
            service at
            > any time with or without notice, to me it has more of a feeling of
            > permanence than something hosted by a single person. We've
            experienced very
            > little downtime in the past 3 1/2 years and no one has had to offer
            anything
            > but their time to keep things going. If we were to eventually
            switch over
            > to a privately owned server such as Caleb's then we'd be 'out of
            business'
            > if something happened to him, his server, or his generosity. I do
            think
            > it's good to have a backup or alternative, and hopefully this won't

          • Tim O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
              I get the emails..but...here's a tip to make it a little easier, if you hold down the shift key when you click a link, it will open the link in a new window, you can click several links then go to a window read it, clicking another link as you leave to start another page downloading to that window....while you read another post in a different window...having an at best POTS line speed of 24000bps this helps me if I need to go to the web to look for things, like the news, open the main page hold the shift click on the links I want to read as I read one the rest get downloaded...

              Tim O'Donnell

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                Dave,
                Guess the ads don't come through on email. But if you view
                the postings on the Yahoo Chief-Users web site you will see lots of

                Bob
                -------------------------

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Another thing on that pop-up window ...when the first one pops up, minimize and leave it, don't close it, and you will not usually get more of them...also when you shift+click a link do this to links in different threads, then when you leave to read another thread click the up thread link, this will open the next post in this thread, and this window will then contain all the links for that thread so you can use each window you've initially opened for individual threads....

                  Tim O'Donnell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                    I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I don't find the ads on Yahoo that big of a deal if you have all the e-mail messages forwarded. They're usually at the bottom of the screen and don't bother me a bit.

                    If you're picking up messages off the Yahoo screen it's a different story. Then you get a full screen ad every 5 or 6 messages - that's absolutely infuriating and very distracting.

                    Actually, I love being the long dissenter.

                    Larry Allen
                    Beacon Homes
                    larry@...
                    www.beaconhomes.com

                  • nltbob
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                      To the Lone Ranger,
                      I'll ride with you on this one. The ads only are a problem when
                      trying to go back a find something in the archives, etc.
                      Tonto

                      --- In chief-users@y..., "Larry Allen" <larry@b...> wrote:
                      > I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I don't find the ads on
                      Yahoo that big of a deal if you have all the e-mail messages
                      forwarded. They're usually at the bottom of the screen and don't
                      bother me a bit.

                      > If you're picking up messages off the Yahoo screen it's a different
                      story. Then you get a full screen ad every 5 or 6 messages - that's
                      absolutely infuriating and very distracting.

                      > Actually, I love being the long dissenter.
                      >
                      > Larry Allen
                      > Beacon Homes
                      > larry@b...
                      > www.beaconhomes.com

                    • Art Morris
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                        > Actually, I love being the long dissenter.

                        With a horse named Silver and a faithful Indian companion? <G>

                        Anonymous
                      • Erik Buttars
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                          Thanks ART Morris!

                          > > Actually, I love being the long dissenter.
                          >

                          > With a horse named Silver and a faithful Indian companion? <G>
                          >

                          > Anonymous

                          > =
                          > = To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank message to:

                        • Curtis Bosley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2002
                            I'm with you Larry. I get the messages forwarded to outlook and rarely see the ad at the bottom of the thread. If I go to the site to check old messages I click through the ad screen so fast it doesn't even register in my 45 y.o. brain what it was anyway.
                            Curt