Shanties at Bristol Renaissance Faire

  • zeppelinrider
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
      Many of our regulars either work at Bristol, or like to spend a lot of time there in the summer. And as luck would have it, Bristol is a shanty-friendly environment. Because folks may want to go up there this summer at some point, I have the following useful info:

      1) "Chicagoshanties Group" is a Bristol "Premium Partner." That entitles us all to a discount code for 33.58% off when purchasing tickets online. The discount code is BRX7561.

      2) John Wohlers (aka John T. Hawser) will likely be singing shanties with interested folks each weekend, probably including Mike Lamble (aka Michael Donaldson), if past years are any guide. I will leave it to those two fine gentlemen to provide us with more details if such are available. John also will be performing his children's comedy show again this year. Fred Lauritzen (aka Woodfellow Willoughby Whistler) will also be there playing various wind instruments all summer, and if you keep your eyes peeled you'll probably spot the rest of the Lauritzen family as well.

      3) There will be various shanty-friendly performers each weekend. Here are some to watch for, though some do more sea music than others:
      Three Pints Gone
      Bounding Main
      Dread Crew of Oddwood
      Marooned
      Molly & The Tinker
      The Rambling Sailors
      Tourdion

      Pirate-themed comedy performances:
      Thee Bluebeard's Pressgang Pageant ("Thee Bluebeard" is Brian Miskelly from the Windy)
      Tortuga Twins
      Cutlass Cooking, a show for children. (John T. Hawser= John Wohlers)

      And here's when they perform, at least according to what the Bristol website said when I was putting this info together:

      Weekend 1
      July 9: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion
      July 10: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion

      Weekend 2
      July 16: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion
      July 17: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion

      Weekend 3
      July 23: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion
      July 24: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Dread Crew of Oddwood, Molly & The Tinker, Rambling Sailors, Tourdion

      Weekend 4
      July 30: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
      July 31: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors

      Weekend 5
      Aug. 6: Bounding Main, Cutlass Cooking, Marooned, Rambling Sailors
      Aug. 7: Bounding Main, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors

      Weekend 6 (pirate and boy/girl scouts weekend)
      Aug. 13: Three Pints Gone, Thee Bluebeard, Bounding Main, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors, Tortuga Twins
      Aug. 14: Three Pints Gone, Thee Bluebeard, Bounding Main, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors, Tortuga Twins

      Weekend 7
      Aug. 20: Three Pints Gone, Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
      Aug. 21: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors

      Weekend 8
      Aug. 27: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
      Aug. 28: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors

      Weekend 9
      Sept. 3: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
      Sept. 4: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
      Sept. 5: Thee Bluebeard, Cutlass Cooking, Rambling Sailors
    • Kate Early
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
        Did I see a note on Jane the Phoole's FB page that the second weekend is Pirate and Mermaid weekend?

        Kate

        Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened.
        Don't open the door to the study and begin reading.
        Take down a musical instrument.
        Let the beauty we love be what we do.
        There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

        Rumi

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011

          I also recall seeing something like that elsewhere on Facebook, though the Bristol website doesn’t say anything about it.   I’m considering going that weekend, as the first weekend (this weekend) is also the same weekend as the Old Town School of Folk Music Folk & Roots Festival.

[...]

          • Harold S. Freundlich
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011

              --- On Wed, 7/6/11, Kate Early <roisindubhcait@...> wrote:

                  Any chance to swagger around wearing a sword...
              I call that the entire faire season.

              Harold
            • chsmock@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
                Sorry...don't know about this fest.  Haven't seen you guys in awhile but would like to reconnect.  Tell me where is Bristol Fest?
              • Alex Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2011

                  http://www.renfair.com/bristol/