Shanty sing for May!

  • zeppelinrider
    Message 1 of 26 , May 5, 2011
      The Shanty Sing for May will be Sunday, May 15th, again at the Atlantic Bar & Grill. For those who are concerned, please note that The Atlantic is a restaurant; people under 21 *are* allowed without their parents.

      Note that we will be in the back room again this month, which is great because we have more room there. Just walk straight past the kitchen & restrooms. If you arrive after 3 pm the door may be closed, but just open it and come on in.

      When:
      Sunday, May 15th
      3 pm to 6 pm.

      Where:
      The Atlantic Bar & Grill
      5062 N. Lincoln Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60625
      773-506-7090
      http://www.theatlanticbar.com

      What:
      Sing sea shanties in an Irish pub, have a rollicking good time!

      How to get there:
      The Atlantic is on Lincoln Ave. in Chicago two and a half blocks south of Foster and about four blocks north of Lawrence, on the northwest corner of Lincoln & Winnemac. For reference, it is about 3/4 of a mile north of the Old Town School of Folk Music. The Atlantic has a free parking lot, if the lot is full street parking isn't too bad: easier than around my house. (I managed to find street parking there without much trouble on St. Patrick's Day last year.) By CTA, either take the Brown Line to Western and walk the rest of the way or take the #11 Lincoln bus, or take the Red Line to Foster and then get the #92 Foster bus.
    • Margaret Cortez

        Message 3 of 26 , May 5, 2011
          Hi folks! Sorry I won't be able to make this one as I'll be doing a concert in Fairport Harbor, OH. Hope to see you soon. Keep in touch. Fair winds! --Tom

          Tom Kastle

          Singer, songwriter, sailor, and storyteller

          Madison, WI
          608-204-2882 office
          773-575-7244 cell
          www.tomkastle.com
          tomkastle@...

          Message 4 of 26 , May 6, 2011
            I will probably miss this one due to another engagement.  Dang!

            Kate

            Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened.
            Don't open the door to the study and begin reading.
            Take down a musical instrument.
            Let the beauty we love be what we do.
            There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

            Rumi

            Message 5 of 26 , May 6, 2011

              Sadly I will also have to miss yet again due to other obligations.

              On May 5, 2011 10:13 PM, "zeppelinrider" <kwhisler@...> wrote:
              > The Shanty Sing for May will be Sunday, May 15th, again at the Atlantic Bar & Grill. For those who are concerned, please note that The Atlantic is a restaurant; people under 21 *are* allowed without their parents.
              >
              > Note that we will be in the back room again this month, which is great because we have more room there. Just walk straight past the kitchen & restrooms. If you arrive after 3 pm the door may be closed, but just open it and come on in.
              >
              > When:
              > Sunday, May 15th
              > 3 pm to 6 pm.
              >
              > Where:
              > The Atlantic Bar & Grill
              > 5062 N. Lincoln Avenue
              > Chicago, Illinois 60625
              > 773-506-7090
              > http://www.theatlanticbar.com
              >
              > What:
              > Sing sea shanties in an Irish pub, have a rollicking good time!
              >
              > How to get there:
              > The Atlantic is on Lincoln Ave. in Chicago two and a half blocks south of Foster and about four blocks north of Lawrence, on the northwest corner of Lincoln & Winnemac. For reference, it is about 3/4 of a mile north of the Old Town School of Folk Music. The Atlantic has a free parking lot, if the lot is full street parking isn't too bad: easier than around my house. (I managed to find street parking there without much trouble on St. Patrick's Day last year.) By CTA, either take the Brown Line to Western and walk the rest of the way or take the #11 Lincoln bus, or take the Red Line to Foster and then get the #92 Foster bus.

            • Fred Lauritzen
              Message 6 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                Alas, we will have to miss as well, as the family will be up at the Janesville Faire.

                Fred

                Message 7 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                  In fact, many of us will be performing at Janesville - Bounding Main will be there, too.
                  Will anyone else be staying on-site Saturday night?
                  We should have a shanty sing at Janesville!  http://www.jvlfaire.com/

                  Kyla

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 6, 2011

                    Hum.  Sounds like summer schedules are already coming upon us.  Are there folks who *do* want to come on May 15th?  If not, maybe we should just cancel the sing for May.  I hate to take over a large space at the Atlantic if there will only be a handful of us.

                    --K

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                      Or is it possible to reschedule for the 22nd?
                      'Cause it's not that I *don't* want to go, but a contract is a contract!  (-:

                      Kyla

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                        I do plan to attend if it's held
                        Carol

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                          Either is fine for me - just don't move it to the 8th.
                          JCW

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                            I was already planning on going but if you would like to move it to another day everyone else can do, I am totally okay with that.

                            Bethann

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                              The 15th is out for us, but depending on when Tristan decides to make his appearance, we might be able to make the 22nd.

                              Melanie

                              To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                              From: bethanngrabelsky@...
                              Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 09:40:17 -0700

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                                The 22nd would be better for me if available.  It could be useful to plan June too, since some folks may be at Mystic or Bristol.
                                Ellen

                                To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                From: kwhisler@...
                                Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                                  I definitely have been planning to come on the 15th.  No idea (not near my calendar) what the 22nd looks like for me.  People have known about this date for quite a while.  If we are going to push for a change, wish the push had come sooner.  Perhaps in future, folks can mention the conflicts sooner or ??      - Lois

                                  To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: kwhisler@...
                                  Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                                    I'll be in Seattle at TrawlerFest. Maybe I'll try to incite some shanty-ing there?

                                    Jeff Wolf

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                                      Okay, gang, it sounds like a few of you would be interested in the 15th, though more of you seem to want the 22nd. I'd be willing to reschedule, but I'm not sure we can get the room for the 22nd. Alas, I have another commitment that day that I can't get out of. So it goes.

                                      I'll see what I can do in terms of checking availability of the room, but I'm not sanguine about reaching the Atlantic's owner before Monday (he was not in today and I'm told he has relatives visiting from out of town) and that's almost getting past the point where a decision must be made to fish or cut bait regarding the 15th.

                                      Stay tuned.

                                      As for June, I was again contemplating the third Sunday unless people have other ideas. John Wohlers had an interesting idea for July, but I think we can wait until that one gets a little more fully baked....

                                      --K

                                      To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: kwhisler@...
                                      Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 6, 2011

                                        Same here

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 6, 2011
                                          See you there!

                                          To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 7, 2011
                                            I am available on either the 15th or the 22nd!

                                            Bethann

                                            To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: kwhisler@...
                                            Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 7, 2011
                                              HI KATHY,  COULD YOU TAKE ME OFF THE LIST ?    THANKS,   TOMMY ROACH

                                              To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com

                                              To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: kwhisler@...
                                              Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 9, 2011
                                                "As for June, I was again contemplating the third Sunday unless people have other ideas."
                                                June 19th currently works for me.

                                                Kyla

                                                To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: kwhisler@...
                                                Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 9, 2011
                                                  The third Sunday in June is the last day of Duckon. As both Lois and I take public transportation home, it is unlikely either of us could make it. Speaking for myself, I don't want to drag luggage to the event-I'll let Lois tell you her own feelings.
                                                  Carol

                                                  To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: kwhisler@...
                                                  Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 9, 2011
                                                    Since Carol explicitly mentioned me, I feel I should say something re:June.  Basically - looked at my calendar and realized I will probably miss  both June and July.   There is so much I want to do, I couldn't begin to guess when I might be able to make it.  So don't schedule either of those two around my convenience.  - Lois

                                                    To: chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com
                                                    From: kwhisler@...
                                                    Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:45 -0700

                                                    --K

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 10, 2011
                                                      I believe the third Sunday in June is Father's Day. We won't be there if that is the case. --Hal

                                                      --- In chicagoshanties@yahoogroups.com, Carol Mitchell <carolsbooks20022000@...> wrote:

                                                      > The third Sunday in June is the last day of Duckon. As both Lois and I take public transportation home, it is unlikely either of us could make it. Speaking for myself, I don't want to drag luggage to the event-I'll let Lois tell you her own feelings.
                                                      > Carol

                                                    • Bethann Grabelsky
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 10, 2011
                                                        For June, if possible, maybe we can move it up a week or do it on another day all together.

                                                        I would be more than okay doing that if it is still at the Atlantic.

                                                        Bethann