[A note of thanks:] I wish I had said it earlier, but I have continued to beam because of all of you these past two years with every message!

  • aaron walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
      Dear Friends, and carriers-on of this wonderful group,

      I apologize I have not expressed the appreciation and happiness I feel
      when I see each group email for the past two years.

      I am so happy and proud that this group still continues. I feel so
      lucky that an instinct at the Chicago Maritime Festival two years ago
      about a regular shanty group was something people really wanted. Its
      genesis was not my doing; everyone's excitement and engagement with
      sailor's folk music was already there. Its continuation stands
      testament of shanties and the power of joy of group singing.

      Seeing Katharine, Hal, Ellen, Polly, Joe, Bethann--please forgive me
      for any omission-- and everyone who lent their voice in song and
      connect it to a wider network of music and events is so heartening.

      Speaking of the Chicago Maritime Festival, I will be there, and look
      forward to singing with you then more than ever.

      Your obedient servant,
      Aaron Walker

      P.S. Finished with Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain, I am in
      Bloomington, volunteering for the local history center, the Indiana
      University Art Museum, Wonderlab children's science museum, and
      bringing jazz musicians to the high school for a workshop. I am
      looking for history interpretation/education museum work, and
      well...when the job seeking gets tough, the job seekers volunteer.

    • Bethann Grabelsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        Thank you Aaron for those kind words and  believe I speak for everyone.

        Look forward to seeing you at the Maritime Festival.

        Bethann

> [...]

        > sing.>>
        >
        > Sundays in February: Tom Kastle will be teaching a four-week class on sea
        > chanties and maritime music at the Old Town School of Folk Music.
        > http://www.oldtownschool.org
        >
        > Saturday, February 12, benefit for Anne Feeney, People's Church of Chicago.
        > http://www.peopleschurchchicago.org
        > http://www.annefeeney.com
        >
        > Saturday, February 12, Debra Cowan concert with Mark Dvorak, Hinsdale.
        > http://www.acousticren.com
        >
        > February 11-13, University of Chicago Folk Festival.
        > http://www.uofcfolk.org
        >
        > February 18-20, Reenactor Fest in Wheeling. Court and Country (Kyla's
        > madrigal group) will perform.
        > http://www.reenactorfest.com/Reenactor_Fest/Home.html
        >
        > Saturday, February 26th, Chicago Maritime Festival
        > Sunday, February 27th, Chicago Maritime Festival "secret" shanty sing

      • Joe Oliver
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
          Re: [chicagoshanties] [A note of thanks:] I wish I had said it earlier, but I have continued to beam because of all of you these past two years with every message! Aaron:

          Great hearing from you!

          Best to all for the holidays.

          Joe O

          --

          On 11/24/10, zeppelinrider <kwhisler@... <mailto:kwhisler%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:
          > Recap of announcements from the shanty sing and other stuff that's coming up
          > that I've heard about:
          >
          > Saturday, November 27, 2010, Lee Murdoch Christmas Ship Concert in Palatine.
          >  http://www.palatineparks.org/leemurdock.pdf
          >
          > Friday, December 3rd, Bittersweet Christmas Band (includes Kate Early)
          > performs at Two Way Street Coffee House in Downers Grove.
          > http://www.twowaystreet.org   Also perform on Saturday, December 4th at
          > Second Saturday Coffeehouse at Ethical Humanist Society in Skokie.
          > www.ethicalhuman.org  And on Sunday, December 5th at Park Forest Unitarian
          > Church. www.uuccpf.org
          >
          > Saturday, December 4th, Tom Kastle performance at Newport Coffeehouse in
          > Bannockburn.  www.mynewportcoffee.com
          >
          > Saturday, December 4th, Bounding Main performs at Christmas on the Corner in
          > Port Washington, WI.  http://www.portbid.com/christmas_on_the_corner
          >
          > Sunday, December 5th is the Chicago Maritime Society Open House at the Helix
          > Building (310 S. Racine, where we've been having the shanty sings), 2 pm to
          > 7 pm.  Some of us are going to be there singing shanties for part of that
          > time.  Oh, and Tom Kastle is performing. :-)
          >
          > Friday, December 10, Polly's daughter Jen Zias sings at the Palm Court at
          > the Drake Hotel.
          >
          > <<Still haven't finalized the particulars for the December shanty sing, but
          > I'm still aiming for the third Sunday, or failing that, the Saturday
          > before.>>
          >
          > Saturday, January 15th, Bounding Main will be having a CD Release Party at
          > Paddy's Pub in Milwaukee.  http://www.paddyspub.net
          >
          > <<A Sunday in mid-January to be determined: volunteer meeting for the
          > Chicago Maritime Festival, immediately followed by the January shanty
          > sing.>>
          >
          > Sundays in February: Tom Kastle will be teaching a four-week class on sea
          > chanties and maritime music at the Old Town School of Folk Music.
          > http://www.oldtownschool.org
          >
          > Saturday, February 12, benefit for Anne Feeney, People's Church of Chicago.
          > http://www.peopleschurchchicago.org
          > http://www.annefeeney.com
          >
          > Saturday, February 12, Debra Cowan concert with Mark Dvorak, Hinsdale.
          > http://www.acousticren.com
          >
          > February 11-13, University of Chicago Folk Festival.
          > http://www.uofcfolk.org
          >
          > February 18-20, Reenactor Fest in Wheeling.  Court and Country (Kyla's
          > madrigal group) will perform.
          > http://www.reenactorfest.com/Reenactor_Fest/Home.html
          >
          > Saturday, February 26th, Chicago Maritime Festival
          > Sunday, February 27th, Chicago Maritime Festival "secret" shanty sing
          > http://www.chicagomaritimefestival.org

        • hjalmarii
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
            Nice to hear from you,Aaron. See you at the Festival. --Hal