Shanty singing in February!

  • zeppelinrider
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2 7:55 PM
      February is the Chicago Maritime Festival and there are maritime music events going on all month!

      Since folks are busy with the festival and it gives lots of opportunities to sing, we will *not* be having a shanty sing at The Atlantic-- save it for next month, on Sunday, March 10th. But here are some of the things to participate in:

      Sundays, Jan. 27 through February 17: Tom Kastle's "Sea Music" class at the Old Town School of Folk Music at 2 pm. Yes, you've already missed the first class but I think you can still sign up late if you sign up before the second class.

      Friday, February 8th: Pirate Party at Capricon (science fiction convention in Wheeling). Please get in touch with Wendy Z for information about the shanty singing demonstration at the convention. wendyzdrodowski@...

      Sunday, February 10th: Sea shanty workshop at University of Chicago Folk Festival led by Tom Kastle. The Folk Festival is always a good time, and the daytime activities are free. http://www.uofcfolk.org

      Monday, February 18th: Shanty singing demonstration/outreach at the North West Sail Association meeting in Arlington Heights at 7:30 pm. They are great and appreciative supporters. Please get in touch with me at sing@... if you want to participate.

      Saturday, February 23: Chicago Maritime Festival, with sing in at 10 am, various musical workshops during the day including the infamous bawdy songs session, and an evening concert. http://www.chicagomaritimefestival.org
      If you are on this email list and haven't gone before, seriously consider attending. The rest of you are probably planning to be there with bells on. :-)

      Sunday, February 24: 'Secret' shanty sing in the early afternoon at a time and location which will be disclosed at the Festival. Many of you know where this is already. If you don't, and need to plan, I think I can at least tell you that it will be at a location with inexpensive drinks near the lake on the north side of Chicago. :-)
    • Bethann Grabelsky
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2 8:41 PM
        Kathy:

        When is the rehearsal for the Old Town school group that kicks off the concert? I am interested in taking part as a former participant of the class.

        Thanks,

        Bethann

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "zeppelinrider" <kwhisler@...> wrote:

        > singing
      • Katharine Whisler
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2 8:50 PM

          Tentatively, on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 1 pm at the Old Town School of Folk Music-- right before Tom’s class.

          When is the rehearsal for the Old Town school group that kicks off the concert? I am interested in taking part as a former participant of the class.

          Thanks,

          Bethann

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "zeppelinrider" kwhisler@...> wrote:

          > singing

        • Bethann Grabelsky
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2 9:11 PM
            Thanks. What I can do is arrange to take some time off from work so I can be there. Is this happening at the school?

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 2, 2013, at 10:50 PM, Katharine Whisler <kwhisler@...> wrote:

            Tentatively, on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 1 pm at the Old Town School of Folk Music-- right before Tom’s class.

            When is the rehearsal for the Old Town school group that kicks off the concert? I am interested in taking part as a former participant of the class.

            Thanks,

            Bethann

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "zeppelinrider" kwhisler@...> wrote:

            > singing

          • Kate Early
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3 7:20 AM
              Hi, Kathy,

              I will be tied up with U of C and Mardi Gras activities in early Feb.  Let me know if there will be a volunteer gathering prior to the CMF that I can help with.

              I'll be manning the WDCB booth with Lilli and am happy to pitch in with any singing backup needed.

              Kate

              Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened.
              Don't open the door to the study and begin reading.
              Take down a musical instrument.
              Let the beauty we love be what we do.
              There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

              Rumi

            • cereeve@hotmail.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3 10:55 AM

                  That said, anyone wanting in on either the NWSA presentation and/or the Saturday morning festival group performance, please email me and let me know.

                  And Kate, we’d love to have you Monday night at NWSA if you are free.

                  --Kathy

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3 7:28 PM
                    I will also mark it on my calendar.  Even if not leading, I find it very helpful to get the practice in on the singing along of the songs that are being planned.  And definitely look forward to participating as part of The Old Town School Shanty Singers.

                    Lois

                    Tentatively, on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 1 pm at the Old Town School of Folk Music-- right before Tom’s class.

                    When is the rehearsal for the Old Town school group that kicks off the concert? I am interested in taking part as a former participant of the class.

                    Thanks,

                    Bethann

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "zeppelinrider" kwhisler@...> wrote:

                    > singing

                  • Polly Parnell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4 10:45 AM
                      Hi -Kathy - I will be at both events.  Polly

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8 12:47 PM

                        Hi!

                        We know this is kind of late, but what time is Tom’s class on Sunday, where at U of C is it, and does it cost anything?

                        Thanks,

                        John and Nicole Larson

                        JAL1862@...

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 8 1:44 PM
                          John and Nicole,

                          Sunday, February 10

                          Sea Shanties with Tom Kastle
                          11:00 AM - 12:00 PM, West Lounge

                          Join Tom Kastle for a look at traditional sea songs and A Capella shanties based
                           on research as well as two decades of being a professional maritime singer and
                          tall ship captain. Tom also teaches the sea music class at the Old Town School of
                          Folk Music and is the co-founder and co-director of the Chicago Maritime Festival.
                          Bring a song or learn one quickly as these songs become your friends quite easily.

                          Ida Noyes Hall      1212 E. 59th St.      Chicago, IL 60637

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 8 3:35 PM
                            All the workshops at the University of Chicago Festival, including this one, are Free.

                            (Evening Concerts at Mandel Hall are pay.)

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 8 6:12 PM
                              Thanks folks. Also, we'll be doing a rehearsal/get together for any current or former shanty class singers at the Old Town School (East Building Room 123) on Sunday, FEB 17th at 1:00 pm. Questions? 773-575-7244. Thanks! --Tom

                              Sent from my i-Phone

                              Tom Kastle
                              773-575-7244
                              608-204-2882

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 9 2:17 AM
                                Howdy, Tom and shipmates,

                                I'll try to make the 2/17 rehearsal.

                                Have a great time at U of C today.

                                All the best,

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 9 6:55 AM
                                  Today???!!!! The workshop is Sunday at 11:00 am. If it's Saturday, please someone take the wheel!

                                  Tom Kastle

                                  Singer, songwriter, sailor, and storyteller

                                  Madison, WI
                                  608-204-2882 office
                                  773-575-7244 cell
                                  www.tomkastle.com
                                  tomkastle@...

                                  NOTE: I have been hacked. My return e-mail address should be

                                  tomkastle@... or tom@...

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 10 11:39 AM
                                    Dear Tom - I will not be in class today.  I still have no voice.  See you nest week.  Polly

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 18 7:51 AM
                                      Kathy,
                                       I think I am totally booked for Saturday -  tax clients followed by the "smiley room benefit".   But would love to come on Sunday 24th.   Please reveal the details so I can make it.
                                      Judy Yates
                                      It was so great in Mpls last weekend,  thanks for all your help.