Charlie Ipcar on Tuesday, and August shanty sing date set!

  • Katharine Whisler
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012

      Two things to mark on your calendar for this month:

      Maritime musician and researcher Charlie Ipcar will be giving a presentation on C. Fox Smith at the Chicago Maritime Museum on Tuesday, August 7th at 7 pm. 310 S. Racine, 6th floor, this is the Helix building where we used to have the shanty sings a few years ago.

      Here’s the official description:

      Join Charles Ipcar as he shares the “life voyage” of  Cicely Fox Smith, an accomplished English maritime poet.

      “Her poems beautifully describe, often with wry humor  and wit but always with compassion, the final years of  The Great Age of Sail.”

      Many well-known maritime songwriters have set their  music to the poems of C. Fox Smith.

      Charlie will have copies of a book of her poetry that he co-edited for sale as well as his songbook of C. Fox Smith poetry he’s set to music.    He’s a really nice guy, a long time volunteer at the Mystic Sea Music Festival, and it promises to be an informative and enjoyable evening.   Rumor has it that there might be a spot of going out for beer & socializing & possibly singing après.   Maybe.    So please come out.  We don’t want these east coast people to think we don’t know how to have a good time in Chicago.

      Also—early warning—the shanty sing for August will be at The Atlantic on Sunday, August 19th at the usual time of 3 pm to 6 pm.

    • Tom Kastle
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2012
        Thanks. Looking forward to the lecture (and perhaps a pint afterwards?). --Tom

        Tom Kastle

        Singer, songwriter, sailor, and storyteller

        Madison, WI
        608-204-2882 office
        773-575-7244 cell
        www.tomkastle.com
        tomkastle@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2012
          Unfortunately I am out of town during both of these enjoyable events.