Sad news about Caryl Weiss

  • zeppelinrider
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
      Some of you may remember Caryl Weiss from the Maritime Festival in 2010.
      Here are a couple of choice videos:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6iNLgwdODo (You Can't be Pirate)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGtx91Tu4o (Saucy Sailor)

      I'm sorry to report that she passed away from cancer this past Saturday. It's a sad loss to the maritime music community. She was a member of the Liverpool Judies, which was one of the first all-female chantey groups. Without them, there might not have been a Johnson Girls. Those who ever saw her perform, evidencing her love of shanties and drinking songs, would see why she was also great inspiration to me, personally. She was also quite a fun and interesting person to be around, and she had a lot of great stories. It was much too soon for her to go!
    • Bethann Grabelsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
        Sorry to hear that Kathy.

        She was a cool person and I enjoyed watching her at my first maritime festival.

        May she rest in peace.

        Bethann
      • pollyparnell@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
          Very sad news, indeed. She was lot of fun and she knew her rum. We
          had such a good time when she was here for the festival. She really
          had a lot of stories to tell. Thinking of her makes me smile. Polly